Den of the wolf and Cat of the cannals

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 orion_kurnous

orion_kurnous

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

What occur if my opponent put Den of the wolf and i have Cat in play? loose his hability? i believe the first player determine the order of passives but im not sure in this case. Thanks

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Cat is immune to card effects.

Den of the Wolf would be trying to remove her immunity with a card effect.

Cat is as immune to Den of the Wolf's "no immunities" effect as she is to every other card effect. She ignores the location and keeps her immunity.

The "first player decides" thing doesn't enter into it at all because there are no conflicting effects here.

#3 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

me and a friend had this happen a month ago or so, we concluded that cat o canals is a monster that can only be slain in single glorious combat, can't even hit her with venomous blade. and a kicker she's an ally (HA! like that makes her, in any way, more vulnerable)

#4 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Wolfbrother said:

me and a friend had this happen a month ago or so, we concluded that cat o canals is a monster that can only be slain in single glorious combat, can't even hit her with venomous blade. and a kicker she's an ally (HA! like that makes her, in any way, more vulnerable)

It actually does. I took Fortified Position out of my Stark deck that focused on her because you could screw it all up. Valar, Dissension, all sorts of cards become viable, so it does actually come into consideration.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

mdc273 said:

It actually does. I took Fortified Position out of my Stark deck that focused on her because you could screw it all up. Valar, Dissension, all sorts of cards become viable, so it does actually come into consideration.
What does Valar have to do with the Ally trait?

Anyway… what you're saying is that the Ally trait comes into consideration if her controller does something to take away her immunity?

#6 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

just clarifying, you can or cannot hit cat o canals with the venomous blade?

#7 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

and yea if you (her controller) do something to her thats on you, but as an opponent, shes H.A.R.D to kill, she ignores my plots like the red viper ignores events.

#8 Crevic

Crevic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wolfbrother said:

just clarifying, you can or cannot hit cat o canals with the venomous blade?

Cat is immune to Venomous Blade as it is a card effect.

#9 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

ktom said:

mdc273 said:

Anyway… what you're saying is that the Ally trait comes into consideration if her controller does something to take away her immunity?

I think he means that while his own Fortified Position is revealed, his Cat becomes vulnerable to all sorts of things, including Valar, and that's why he took Fortified Position out.

#10 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

fortified position on a valar turn is just bad luck, but i do see the worry, and thanks i assumed cat was immune but just making sure

#11 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

She can be affected by claim, especially if the claim has been modified into "choose and kill a character controlled by the losing opponent" (like Pyat Pree or Northern Steed do).

#12 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ratatoskr said:

ktom said:

mdc273 said:

I think he means that while his own Fortified Position is revealed, his Cat becomes vulnerable to all sorts of things, including Valar, and that's why he took Fortified Position out.

QFT

Fortified Position was my substitute for Forgotten Plans in our league play, but it killed my Cat combo (which I then broke up, but that's totally unrelated, hehe).

#13 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

what kind of combos do you do with cat?

#14 Crevic

Crevic

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Robby Stark said:

what kind of combos do you do with cat?

Northern Steel goes great on her

Type: Attachment House: Stark
Cost: 2
Weapon.
Northern Steel cannot be discarded from play while attached to a House Stark character. Any Phase: Kneel Northern Steel to give attached character either +3 STR or deadly until the end of the phase.

#15 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Crevic said:

Northern Steel goes great on her

Type: Attachment House: Stark
Cost: 2
Weapon.
Northern Steel cannot be discarded from play while attached to a House Stark character. Any Phase: Kneel Northern Steel to give attached character either +3 STR or deadly until the end of the phase.

Mine was Northern Steel or Ice. I preferred Ice. Ever try to do a challenge where one of your characters is guaranteed to die? You can't stealth by Cat. It also works with defensive Greatjon Umber. It's one of the scarier and simple combos in the game. All the cards in it are generally good on their own, if not tier 1.

#16 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

''guaranteed'' is a bit streched. it's not because it's attached to cat that suddently ice becomes ''cannot be canceled or saved or blanked''

#17 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

mdc273 said:

Ever try to do a challenge where one of your characters is guaranteed to die? 
Yes, and it's not that big of a deal. In that situation, what no one seems to understand, is that it is best to declare the challenge and lose the character. Ice goes away and you can get back to your game instead of not doing challenges properly or the way you want because you don't want to lose the character. Ya know what? If you're not doing challenges, you've already lost the character, even though it's still sitting there on your side of the table.

Better to do it than live in fear of it.

#18 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

ktom said:

mdc273 said:

Ever try to do a challenge where one of your characters is guaranteed to die? 

Yes, and it's not that big of a deal. In that situation, what no one seems to understand, is that it is best to declare the challenge and lose the character. Ice goes away and you can get back to your game instead of not doing challenges properly or the way you want because you don't want to lose the character. Ya know what? If you're not doing challenges, you've already lost the character, even though it's still sitting there on your side of the table.

So, what you're saying is that FEAR…cuts deeper…than swords?

#19 Bolzano

Bolzano

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

ktom said:

So true. But even so, fear is so powerfull in melee games ^^

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS