Arvel Crynyd

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I plan on using Arvel Crynyd tomorrow with that exact idea in mind.  I know that my opponent will be playing at least, four squints.  Should be interesting.

Big question is what do I back him with? 

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Well, I know that you are a fan of 2 Awings and missiles, so for a 4 ship build, how about this (and feel free to change anything, I'm just tossing out ideas):

Arvel with Homing Missiles
Rookie Pilot with Proton Torps and R2 Astromech
Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon and R2 Astromech
Prototype Pilot with Homing Missiles

Low skills, but lots of missiles, 2 Awings, and 4 ships. Ion should help set up Arvel, although he will be the target.

Or maybe a 3 ship build:

Wedge with Proton Torps, R2D2, Shield Upgrade
Arvel with Homing Missiles and Stealth Device
Biggs with R2F2

No, I don't put Stealth on Biggs, as I think it's wasted on him, as he's bound to take a hit fairly quickly anyway. Stealth on an Awing is ridiculous. R2D2 and Shield upgrade should help keep Wedge alive a little longer.

Or, if you want to play your Falcon:

Han Solo with Marksmanship
Arvel with Homing Missiles
Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon

Again with the Ion setting up Arvel, but now you have the Falcon doing damage as well as taking up real estate for those squints to fly into.

edit: another thought, if your opponent is flying 4 Interceptors, is one of them Turr? I think Turr might actually have the advantage if you try to fly into him. Turr being a 7 will shoot at something else, then barrel roll out of Arvel's firing arc before you get a chance to attack him. So I would stay away from Turr with Arvel. Just a thought.

#3 executor

executor

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

reguardless of whom you put Arvel in a group with, if you plan on only playing with 1 A-wing, I strongly reccomend you put a homing missle with him at the very least.  That missle is so ridiculously overpowered it's not even funny

i reccomend playing Arvel with 3 X-wings. I've had huge success with these lists

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#4 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I second the Falcon. I've come to the conclusion that the Falcon is the Interceptor's only natural predator. The 360 arc removes the advantage of maneuverability, and it matches their attack value.

#5 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thoughts on this?

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Red Squadron Pilot 4
X-Wing (23)
Upgrades:
  • No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1
X-Wing (21)
Upgrades:
  • No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Arvel Crynyd
A-Wing (23)
Upgrades:
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Green Squadron Pilot 1
A-Wing (19)
Upgrades:
  • Push The Limit (3)
  • Homing Missles (5)
  • Stealth (3)

#6 executor

executor

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

i'd switch the homing missles to put on arvel instead of the green pilot, you are more likely to get the target lock required onto a more crucial enemy ship and fire it off before he is killed

that said i also play very aggressively, so if you're more of a defensive player then keep it on the green pilot
just my own experience tells me that i've wasted a couple missles before on low skill pilots that get picked off before they can fire it

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thoughts:

If I'm playing 4 Interceptors against you, I go after the Xwings. Once the Homing Missiles are shot, the Awings will have a hard time hitting the Interceptors. The Awings with Stealth will be too hard to hit right away anyway, and you haven't done anything to deter me from attacking the Xwings. The Xwings have a higher attack value, so they're a bigger threat, a lower defense value, so they'll be (theoretically) easier to hit, and only 1 more hull than an Awing. So I try to take them down first. After that concentrate fire as much as I can to take out one or the other Awing.

As such, how do you play your squad? Do you zip the Awings out quickly, knowing that they will be hard to hit? Meanwhile your Xwings go slowly, waiting for the Interceptors to come to them. When the Interceptors are engaged with the Xwings, Koiogran the Awings to get behind them, catching them from the front and behind. I think that's how I would try to play your squad.

#8 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yea, Hothie that's what I'm worried about.  What about a two ship build?  A tricked out Han, and Arvel?

#9 executor

executor

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

i'm actually semi curious how a 5 ship low pilot skill rebel build will perform now

3x Rookie Pilots
1x Green Pilot
1x Prototype Pilot

99pts for the initiative and block up all the lanes, and denying your opponent a lot of actions

Current Fleet

#10 executor

executor

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Picasso said:

Yea, Hothie that's what I'm worried about.  What about a two ship build?  A tricked out Han, and Arvel?

i think the lack of firepower will leave you at a loss in all games

Current Fleet

#11 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've been playing the two ship build and it has a lot of fire power between Han and the Gunner.  I also use Marksmanship.  I drop a TIE a turn.  I think against four squints it should last long enough to take them out.  in all honesty I'm starting to think my tourny list might be built around Han.  

#12 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I like Han too, but what about Chewie + Luke, Arvel + Homing, Protoype + Homing? A slightly better alpha strike and more guns throughout is probably a net win. 

#13 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hmmmm……….

Thanks for the ideas guys.

What do you think about using squad leader to get Arvel an action after he bumps?  Maybe Lando?

#14 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Picasso said:

Hmmmm……….

Thanks for the ideas guys.

What do you think about using squad leader to get Arvel an action after he bumps?  Maybe Lando?

Lando's ability is just so good.  Him with Nien is just amazing.  How's this for a list with Lando.

Lando - Nien, Gunner, Deterimination

Arvel - Concusion Missile

Rookie X-Wing - R2 Astromech.

Lando's ability goes off even if he runs into other ships, which I like so much better then squad leader.  With Nien you have a lot more green maneuvers to work with.  Now even if Arvel runs into someone he can still get an action.  With the rookie x-wing and gunner you still have a lot of fire power.

#15 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Picasso said:

Thoughts on this?

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Red Squadron Pilot 4
X-Wing (23)
Upgrades:
  • No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1
X-Wing (21)
Upgrades:
  • No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Arvel Crynyd
A-Wing (23)
Upgrades:
  • Stealth (3)

Pilot: Green Squadron Pilot 1
A-Wing (19)
Upgrades:
  • Push The Limit (3)
  • Homing Missles (5)
  • Stealth (3)

Here's an alternate to your list.  Move the Stealth upgrades to the X-Wings.  Down grade the Red Sqaudron to a Rookie, and put R2 Astromechs on each.  Change push the limit on the Green Squadron to deadeye, and change homing missile to Concusion missile. Now you have 3 points left so you can put a stealth device back on Arvel.  Now the X-Wings are Tough targets to hit.  The green squadron with Deadeye can focus and not give away who he wants to target with the missile.  The green squadron pilot isn't as versatile as before, but he's a good first strike option now.

#16 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

So my plan didn't work out.  My opponent played an 8 TIE swarm.  Looking to try it out saturday.

#17 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

I've had no luck with Avrel.  The best I can do is have him trade out with an enemy fighter.  He is good against large ships but any support fighters eat him alive.  I still think he is the best closer in the game but keeping him alive is problamatic.

#18 polmoneys

polmoneys

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

It's been a while since this thread started, do you still feel the same way about Arvel?

I'm flying him (+shield) with Wedge and two rookies and because he gets ignored it's been quite uselful. I've only flown him twice against a mini swarm with Soontir and Howl but as Picasso says it may shine more against big ships..

Green+PTL is 2 die most of the times and against 3AG die with F is harmless yet Arvel rolls 3 die 99% of the time. It's not a game changer but feels cheap for rebel standards...

#19 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Attaching him with Garven and "Dutch" is a pretty sweet move. All 6s all day!

With no upgrades on anyone, you could play Garven, "Dutch", Ibtisam, and Arvel, for 100 points of 4 level 6s

Alternatively, you could do Garven, "Dutch", Arvel, and Kyle Katarn, with 7 points left over for upgrades... probably a Blaster Turret and Moldy Crow on Kyle.

#20 aArendsvark

aArendsvark

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

I've had no luck with Avrel.  I still think he is the best closer in the game but keeping him alive is problamatic.

How is he a good closer?  I've never had him work a lot better than a normal A-wing.  If he could boost to collide or was lower PS, that would help.  This may be an issue of me not being able to guess where he'll ram other fighters well enough.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS