2 Interceptors or Slave 1?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, as Spike said on Buffy, "You're not clear on the concept, pal. There is no 'instead.' Just 'first' and 'second.'"

But you know, I set my gaming budget to be $30 for the month, and anything else is going to wait until I go up to FFG for Days of Ice & Fire.

So what would be the more efficient addition for my imperial forces that currently have 5 TIEs and an x1 to build from? 

#2 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Why not wait on the pre-order and order them on the 28 or 2 days later on miniaturemarket. x3 tie interceptors = 30 + 3-4 dollars for shipping.

#3 COM 2D

COM 2D

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Flip a coin and I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

#4 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I feel bad for asking my FLGS to order me Game Night Kits and provide space for events without supporting him with my entertainment dollars.  So, for new releases, I try and buy retail.

#5 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thats cool. I would do the same but my budget limits me… with 3 ships I could buy 4 and a dice pack…that way I can live well and play. Plus…where I live there is only one place that actually plays x wing and I just found out they sell stuff. I would recommend the interceptors. That way you can integrate them to tie fighter squads and use their awesome upgrade cards. 4 ties 2 int. 

Have Fun!

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Since there weren't enough people with the 181st avatar in this thread already…

It's a tough choice, but I would go with the Interceptors. I'm slightly biased because I brought one home from the Kessel Run, but I have easily a dozen Wave 2 lists I want to try that don't include the Firespray, and about two that don't include any Interceptors.

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

2 Interceptors if you want to use the ships, Slave 1 if you want to use Stealth Device. I'd go with rthe Interceptors.

#8 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I always buy the most expensive things first, and eventually buy the cheapers, is easier that you have a few money to buy the cheaper, greettings

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#9 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Get the slave one.  Three reasons.

First you add a heavy hitter to your ships.  The Imps right now have few ships that can roll four attack dice.

Second, you add upgrade cards to your list.  Stealth device is a great card.

Third you get a homing missile for that x1

#10 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Also put that Stealth Device on Dark Curse. 

#11 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Dammit Picasso I was all ready to commit and then you had to make points for the opposition.  reir

Plus I saw the other thread talking about "The Falcon is the natual predator of Interceptors" and I know my buddy wants to play the bejeezus out of it.  Or, as another friend said, "want to kill the Falcon, hope you packed a lunch, fourteen hit points." 

#12 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

A tough choice. I have both (came in first in one Kessel Run, and third in another).  And, I am very much looking forward to getting two more TIE Interceptors so I can run a 3 TIE / 3 TIE Interceptor squad.

With the TIE Interceptor, you get 6 pilots / ship cards (including 3 unique) and 2 upgrade cards that are pretty good (daredevil and elusiveness). It is a very maneuverable ship with great attack dice given the rebels currently have 2 defense dice. Though, they seem to be priced a bit hit for me (18-27 points, compared to 12-18 for a TIE).

For the Slave 1 you get 4 pilots / ship cards (including 3 unique) and 13 upgrade cards. Many of these upgrades are very good (stealth devices X2, assault missiles, veteran instincts) and can be used on other ships, and a few others can only be used with the Slave 1 but add a lot of fun/variety to the game -- though I’m not sure how competitive they are yet (seismic charges and proximity mines). But, I find this ship much harder to move given the large base size (you often run into things, or they run into you). 

What makes this especially hard is that in the end I think I will use the 3 TIE Interceptors more than a Slave 1, but that I will use the Slave 1 upgrades more than the TIE Interceptor’s. I’m sure there are other pros and cons to each, too. 

The good news is that I don’t think you can make a bad choice. If you want more ships with modest upgrades, go with the 2 TIE Interceptors.  If you don’t mind getting one ship with lots of great upgrades that can be used on your current ships (that also happens to be a fun ship to play from time to time), go with the Slave 1.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  3 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  3 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#13 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

Grimwalker,

I'm excited to get more squints don't get me wrong.  However what makes squints good are cards like Push the Limit and stealth device. I'm taking a Falcon tonight against four squints and some ties. I'm not worried.  A squint lives by its ability to manuver. A 360 degree firing ship takes that bonus away. Also Han can get crits like a mad man.  The slave 1 is the best thing to boost an existing squad and make drastic improvements.  However swapping Mauler and Howler in those seven tie lists for some squints. Oh yeah!

also the Saber Squad squint has an upgrade spot and putting VI on it is so sick and wrong  and VI only comes with the Falcon and Slave 1.

#14 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

That's what's making it such a wrenching choice; I want the cards from Slave 1 but want to put them on Interceptors. 

#15 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Interceptor x2 list:

Turr Phenir + Elusiveness

Soontir Fel+ Elusiveness

Howlrunner+Swarm Tactics

Academy Pilot x2

Slave 1 List:

Boba Fett+Elusiveness+Stealth Device+Heavy Laser Cannon+Merc Copilot+Slave1 (because SLAVE 1 THAT'S WHY)

Howlrunner+Swarm Tactics

Academy Pilot x2

Gaaaaahhh…

#16 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I am more excited about the Slave 1, since it will add some durability to my Imperials. Don't get me wrong the Interceptors are great and will be much more easily added to squads, but I just want that big sexy ship running around. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS