Campaign Rules for Pilots

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have been working on some rules for a campaign in X-Wing. I have come up with the following. I also created some pilot sheets for each ship type. They show specific availability of Pilot Talents, Ship Upgrades, Secondary Weapons, Droids and Crew cards that a ship can have.

Named crew are NOT considered unique cards, their card can be used ONCE ONLY per ship, but each player may use that crew member, I just assume they are a different name. Example, Chewbacca might be Aron Greis, same skill, new name.

As GM I will fly the Imperials, matching points will be simple as the rebel squad will fly against the same number of Imperial points as they have total Mission Points between them plus the cost of the basic ship. Example, 2 X-Wings at 21 pts per ship and a pilot with 6 Mission Points total and a pilot with 9 Mission Points total would face 57 points of Imperials, plus or minus mission variables.

Certain cards are only available on certain ships as well. Example the Ion Turret card is only available to the Y-Wing and YT-1300. Crew cards only to the YT-1300 and Y-Wing. Droids only to the Y-Wing and X-Wing. Heavy Laser only to the YT-1300 and Y-Wing.

1. Each player picks a ship to fly (see ship sheets)
2. X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing and YT-1300 (not the Falcon) are available.
3. Stats are for the basic model of each ship.
4. Each player starts with Pilot Skill 1
5. After each mission a pilot must spend accumulated Mission Points to upgrade their ship or pilot.
6. You may add Mission Points to a ‘skill’ or upgrade as a part payment, you do not have to add them all at once to one skill. This represents your progress to attaining an upgrade.
7. You may not move Mission Points once assigned.
8. Pilot Skill Levels cost Mission Points equal to that level;
    1. A pilot wanting to become pilot skill 2 must spend 2 mission points.
    2. A pilot wishing to become pilot skill 3 must spend a further 3 mission points to make that level.
    3. A pilot must work up level to level, from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 etc.
    4. Each level therefore costs progressively more Mission Points.
9. Upgrades that can be bought for a pilot or their ship by paying the number of Mission Points indicated next to the entry on the pilot sheet.
10. A pilot may only use the number of upgrades shown on the pilot list in any one engagement.
      1. If he has multiple options in a category he may load out the ship as he sees fit to the max number in each category for an engagement.
11. You earn Mission Points as follows.
       1. 1 point for each enemy fighter you kill.
       2. 1 point for each pilot, for each enemy large ship you kill as a squad.
       3. 1 point for surviving a successful mission.
       4. 0.5 points for ‘being killed’ in a successful mission.
       5. 0.5 points for surviving an unsuccessful mission.
       6. Mission Points as assigned for objectives in the mission.

12.Max Upgrades per engagement are as follows
              1. X-Wing
1.Pilot Talents: Unlimited
2.Secondary Weapons: 1
3.Ship Upgrades: 3
4.Droids: 1
5.Crew: 0
              2. Y-Wing
2.Secondary Weapons: 1
3.Ship Upgrades: 2
4.Droids: 1
5.Crew: 1
              3. A-Wing
2.Secondary Weapons: 2
3.Ship Upgrades: 3
4.Droids: 0
5.Crew: 0
               4. YT-1300
2.Secondary Weapons: 2
3.Ship Upgrades: 1
4.Droids: 0
5.Crew: 2

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#2 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I added a rule I missed

"You may only have one upgrade per pilot skill level so at level 2, you may buy up to 2 upgrades at level 9 you may buy upto 9 upgrades."

This should keep pilots from overloading on upgrades and will force people to choose what upgrades they want.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#3 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

I wanted to try something like this

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#4 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Sweet, let's try it. We could play 1 game when we all meet as a campaign game. I can write one scenario a week that makes a campaign. Each scenario would be based on the results of the prior one.

Here is my first scenario.

Discovered !!!!

You and your squad mates and their support crews have been hiding out on a remote asteroid, now Imperial fighters have been detected in your area and are almost certain to have spotted your base.

You are currently jamming their signals but it's only a matter of time before they get a message out.

Mission Objectives :

Destroy All the Imperial Ships within 12 game turns. 1 Mission Point per pilot.

All other Mission Point scoring as per basic rules.

Play Area 3' x 3'

Place 6 ateroids on the play area representing the asteroid field the rebel base is in. No asteroid may be within range 1 of another asteroid, no asteroid may be within range 1 of the play area edge.

The Imperial player (GM) and rebels take it in turns to place an asteroid.

#5 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

How may rebel ships? 

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#6 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

My gaming group has just finished its 2nd mission in our ongoing story based league play. The results are posted in the Battle Reports section. You might find some helpful items there.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#7 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

1 rebel ship per player. Max 4 players per table. If we are short a player or 2 on a table, we can use 'generic pilots' controlled by players, but not part of the ongoing campaign Mission Point collection.

I figure right now we'd get 3 regular rebels, if we got extra players, we could run 2 tables with 2 GM's same campaign.

The beauty is we can keep a story going and accomodate less regular players as being of varied skill levels in this game isn't a big issue, and missing a mission won't stop people taking part.

#8 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bigdogg,

I'll certainly check it out.

Thx

#9 CarWashKid

CarWashKid

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm glad to see these sorts of variants popping up (this, x-wing league, and another I saw).   Super cool!  Please, keep coming up with missions.  

#10 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Sounds interesting.

#11 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

I came up with 1 last rule for 'dieing' as a pilot. To encourage people to think of this as a tactical mission, not a suicide mission where getting your ship shot from under you is no issue, I'll be adding the following rules.

If a player or team feel they are in jeopardy of being reduced to zero hull points, they may withdraw from the battle by flying of the nearest table edge.

They incur no penalty to Mission Points other than they may not gain certain mission points based on the scenario or basic rules.

If you are shot down;

Roll a D6 and consult the table below.

1. Pilot Injured. Randomly select a pilot talent, that talent cannot be used in the next battle. Put an X next to it on your pilot sheet. If you have no pilot talents, your pilot skill is reduced by 1 for the next battle to a minimum of zero.

2. Crew killed. Randomly select one of your crew. They are considerd unavailable to you for the next battle. Put an X next to it on your pilot sheet. If you have no crew, see 1 above.

3. Weapons Damage. Randomly select a Secondary Weapon, you may not use it in the next battle. Put an X next to it on your pilot sheet. If you have no secondary weapons, your primary weapon has damaged, you must take 1 hit or critical die from every attack and re-roll it.

4. Ship Upgrade. Randomly select one ship upgrade, it is not available for the next battle. Put an X next to it on your pilot sheet. If you have no ship upgrades, you must deduct either 1 from your hull points or shield value for the next battle. Players choice.

5. Droid damage. Randomly select one of your droids, it may not be used in the next battle. Put an X next to it on your pilot sheet. If you have no droids, see 4 above.

6. Roll twice on this table. If you roll another 6, ignore that roll, you got lucky and take no added damage. 3 sixes in a row would mean your ship was disabled but not badly damaged.

#12 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Englishpete,

thanks for this. it's great.  for the pilot dying stuff, perhaps an attack die would work better, since it's readily to hand?

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#13 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

An interesting thought, but it has only 4 results, which is a bit limiting.

On another note, I have refined the rules and will post them all again soon.

#14 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Looking forward to it.

How about this?

"Roll an attack die.

On a hit, the pilot has been injured and must spend the next game you play recuperating.  The pilot is unavailable for the next game.

On a critical hit, the pilot is dead, irrevocably and invariably.  Too bad, so sad.

On a focus, your opponent may choose one upgrade card, a droid, a weapon or a ship upgrade.  That card is unavailable for the next game due to the need for repairs.

On a blank, nothing happens.  'The Force is strong with this one.'  Phew!"

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#15 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

You should make a Imperial version with missions. 

#16 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

The imperial version is in the works.

The new rebel version, along with 4 missions will post this weekend.

Then I plan to make the Imperial changes and alter the missions to be the same missions, but from the Imperial Viewpoint. That way, groups can play on either side, generating some rivalry and not needing a GM  :-)

#17 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Englishpete said:

The imperial version is in the works.

The new rebel version, along with 4 missions will post this weekend.

Then I plan to make the Imperial changes and alter the missions to be the same missions, but from the Imperial Viewpoint. That way, groups can play on either side, generating some rivalry and not needing a GM  :-)

Awesome! Thanks

#18 Vasilis Lazh

Vasilis Lazh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

any ideas if i want to play like the empire?

#19 Vasilis Lazh

Vasilis Lazh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

waiting for it

thanks

#20 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

weekend got really busy. I'll post as soon as I can.

Thx Pete

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS