new to game question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sithknight19

Sithknight19

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

I only have the core set but obviously want to get new cards. unfortunatly were i live no one that i know plays so i'm trying to do solo. Can anyone please give me tips on what expansions i should get first to build a deck for solo play? In the core i can only seem to get past the first quest lol and half the second. thank you very much in advance

#2 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

There are several threads on this topic.

My opinion is get things in the order they were released.

But if you do not want, you need to try and create a dwarf deck (it is the best race so far).

To do this, the best packs are Return to Mirkwood (Dain is a must with dwarves), Khazad-Dum and Hobbit Expansions and probably all Dwarrowdelf cycle…

Carlos José Matos

#3 Sithknight19

Sithknight19

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thank you SO much!!! I'll get them as soon as i can!

#4 Sithknight19

Sithknight19

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

defeated the hills in mirkwood expansion using the lore deck. :) Got more ordered :)

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you're playing "true" solo, which is to say, you're only playing 1 player, with up to 3 heroes on your team, your deck plans will be different than if you're playing "two fisted" solo, where you control the cards and manage the playing of 2 players (or more if you've got the table space and can keep track of it all).  Any co-op game can be played solo with any number of "players", since a co-op game is just a hive mind of you and your friends vs some kind of AI script in the game.

Lord of the Rings is no different.

So back on topic, there are a few cards in the Core Set you may want to get extras of if you're playing "two fisted".  You get 4 Gandalfs, but you may want to have 6 in total, so you can put 3 in each deck.  There's also only 1 Unexpected Courage in the Core, and a lot of "2 of's".  There's ample discussion on how many Cores you need to buy, but that's really up to the individual.  If you've mixed in the cards and can't remember the numbers, here is a list;

http://boardgamegeek...arter-decklists

After that, I would head on over to http://www.cardgamed....php/index.html to get the spoiler data for all the cards released to date.  Dwarves make for good tech, as there are a ton of them from the boxed expansions, with support cards sprinkled throughout Dwarrow cycle cards.

There is also a good collection of decks on there that you could reference and plan your buying decisions around that.

One last point to consider, is that while you may want to start buying specific packs for a net deck, you should ultimately try and get all the packs you can afford.  Each Adventure Pack comes with a new quest, with the box expansions providing several quests.  That should help give you some variety so you can run more quests without repeating the same handful over and over.

As well, if you are just cherry picking your Adventure Packs, you wont be able to construct the proper Encounter Decks for them, as the cards from the big boxes are needed in some of them.  So Khazad provides a series of Encounter Deck cards which are needed in the Dwarrowdelf quests.

Presumably this will follow suit for the Adventure Packs that come after Heirs of Numenor.  I believe the Hobbit boxes are self-contained in that sense, so you wouldn't need additional Encounter Deck cards outside those boxes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS