Direct Assault to opponent's character

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snowfrost

snowfrost

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

can I play Direct Assault to a opponent's character who is attack alone?if I win the challage,can I take control a opponent's  location?

I think the answer is no,beacause the core rule say:"If you win a challenge as the attacker, then the following claim effect happens."so only attacker win has "claim effects",am I right?

But if Doran Martell(PotS) in play,what happens?

thanks

#2 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Direct Assault

Challenges: Choose 1 character with a Military and a Power icon that is attacking alone. For the duration of the challenge, that character gets +2 STR. If you win the challenge, instead of the normal claim effects, choose a non-unique location controlled by the losing opponent. Take control of that location.

Doran Martell

If a player loses a challenge as the attacker, that player must fulfill the claim of that challenge, using the Claim value on the defending player's plot card.

I am guessing but …

Direct Assault does something instead of the normal claim effect

If you are the defender the claim affect is normally nothing - but does anything prevent you from taking a location instead of doing nothing?

If Doran is in play,  then the losing attacker also pays a claim affect - but I would say that Direct Assault is only replacing the "normal" claim effects - so would guess that you can take a location and the attacker still has to pay the claim effect triggered by Doran

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

HastAttack said:

Direct Assault does something instead of the normal claim effect

If you are the defender the claim affect is normally nothing - but does anything prevent you from taking a location instead of doing nothing?

Yes. When the defender wins a challenge, the "Challenge result is implemented" framework event does not initiate successfully (because its play restrictions - requiring the attacker to win - are not met). Replacement effects, like Direct Assault, are applied when the effect resolves, not when it initiates.

So, since "defender wins" means the "normal claim" never initiates, there is no "normal claim" to replace with the taking the location during resolution.

If you are the defending player and you play Direct Assault on the attacking character and still manage to win the challenge, you still don't get "claim" for winning on defense. You only lower the amount you would win/they lose the challenge by.

HastAttack said:

If Doran is in play,  then the losing attacker also pays a claim affect - but I would say that Direct Assault is only replacing the "normal" claim effects - so would guess that you can take a location and the attacker still has to pay the claim effect triggered by Doran
Um… there is no "also" with Doran. What Doran does is change the play restrictions so that the "challenge result is implemented" framework event does successfully initiate when a challenge is won on defense, defining such a challenge's "normal claim" as the standard challenge claim for that challenge type, just with the attacker in the role of "loser" and the defender in the role of "winner." So, since claim does initiate, what would be "normal" for that challenge is replaced with what is written on Direct Assault.

So, if you are the defending player and you play Direct Assault on the attacking character and still manage to win the challenge while Doran is in play, you would get to steal a location from the attacker. (But that's it.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS