"Balance of the Force" Expansion set

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

p26 of the core set rule book says something about Multiplayer rules in "The Balance of the Force" expansion set coming in 2013. Has this set even been announced yet?

I can find no record of it.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#2 Damandred

Damandred

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

There has been no official word of it yet. We do know that it will be at the earliest in the last half of 2013 since we have the four hoth packs and the edge of darkness expansion planned already. 

#3 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

I like the idea of multiplayer vs one strong DS player.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

I like having the DS be a faceless, unstoppable machine of hate and fear. I hope they include rules for LS players/cards being tempted towards the dark side and either succumbing or resisting that temptation, either choice obviously carrying with it consequences for the LS player.

#5 Muad Dib

Muad Dib

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

MarthWMaster brings up some good ideas for future cards. 

So I'll throw my 2 Imperial Credits in…

Corrupting a LS character should target a character that is dedicated to the force… Thematically, LS characters dedicated to the force should not be reckless, craving excitement or running off to save their mom because they had a bad dream.

Objective: Sith

Give Yourself to the Dark Side

Action: Once per turn, during the conflict phase, the light side player chooses one LS character dedicated to the force to strike with regardless of the number of focus tokens on that character.

Then…the DS player waits for the right moment to play a Sith Event:

It is the Only Way You Can Save Your Friends

Something like… if the DS players wins an engagement and the LS character dedicated to the force exceeds X: (a certain number) of focus tokens… that character loses it, wants to kill younglings and then crosses to the darkside for the DS player to control.

Too evil it is? Much playtesting needed would be.

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Muad Dib said:

It is the Only Way You Can Save Your Friends

Something like… if the DS players wins an engagement and the LS character dedicated to the force exceeds X: (a certain number) of focus tokens… that character loses it, wants to kill younglings and then crosses to the darkside for the DS player to control.

Too evil it is? Much playtesting needed would be.

I don't know about too evil, but I do know that it doesn't work because you cannot win or lose an engagement.

#7 Muad Dib

Muad Dib

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hey you're right!

I must have been thinking of the old game- wow… next the dementia.

Alright….maybe uh…

Your Friends Will Not Survive

Sith Interupt

If the LS player discards a character during the conflict…. and the LS character dedicated to the force exceeds X: (a certain number) of focus tokens…then…they cross to the darkside for the DS player to control!

#8 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Shouldn't the shift to the dark side (or resistance thereof) be the player's choice, though? That would up the dramatic tension significantly. And various lines from the films help point out the potential consequences of remaining true to the light:

"He will join us or die, Master." - Darth Vader, The Empire Strikes Back

"I will not turn. And you'll be forced to kill me." - Luke Skywalker, Return of the Jedi

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!" - Emperor Palpatine, Return of the Jedi

#9 Mastermike890

Mastermike890

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, i was a bit confused since I thought the implication was that Balance of the Force Would come out before edge of darkness but it turns out this is not the case so i wasn't sure if there was a change in schedule or if i just misunderstood. Either way, can't WAIT for some playtested multiplayer rules, i've mostly been using house rules for that thus far, and if there was a co-op mode that would be even better.

In terms of the LS player being seduced to the dark side, that sounds like a fun mechanic that i would like them to incorperate. maybe some sort of event that lets the DS take control of a focused jedi or some fun alternate win con for the DS.

#10 Crouton

Crouton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Well, it says first half of 2013, so if FFG is going to stick to that, I'd expect to hear something pretty soon. Hopefully they will announce it along with the new Cosmic Encounter expansion.

…please 

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

I expect it will be announced next month as they just announced the end of the Hoth cycle so it will likely be after that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS