Common New Player mistakes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Alexca1

Alexca1

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Can anyone help me and my friend out? We started playing Netrunner last night and we both took turns playing the Corp and the Runner (1 win for each side). Does anyone know what are the most common overlooked rules in the game that new players might be making? I'm pretty sure he and I are doing at least a couple. Thought I'd ask the A:NR community their thoughts and takes on it.

#2 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

Some people make the mistake of thinking the Runner draws a card then gets 4 clicks per turn when it's really just 4 clicks without a mandatory draw.

#3 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

One thing I've noticed new players misunderstanding is the timing of events, especially those that initiate a run such as The Maker's Eye. Either they use a click to play the event, and then try to use another to do the run (you don't need to… if the event says "Make a run [on X]" the event is already initiating the run for you, you just need to spend the click to play the event) or they try to play it in the middle of during a run (you cannot do an action such as playing an event while resolving another action, such as making a run -- actions here referring to anything that requires a click, as opposed to paid abilities such as those on icebreakers).

#4 Defenstrator

Defenstrator

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

The mistakes we have made so far were not realizing that Wyrm had to match the Ice power before lowering its strength and that Medium ignores the first token.

#5 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I think a lot of people coming in from other CCG/TCG/LCG arenas will make timing mistakes, thinking they can "respond" or "react" to various things or that they can combine cards like Sneakdoor Beta and Stimhack.

#6 capbarclay

capbarclay

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Upgrades were the biggest thing that tripped me up, since the rulebook isn't very clear on them. It explains well that upgrades can be installed in the root of central servers (Archives, R&D, HQ) and accessed at the end of a successful run there. But they're also installed at the end of remote servers like Agendas or Assets (it's just not called the "root" of the server then). In fact, while you can have only one Agenda or one Asset in a remote server, you can have any number of upgrades *in addition to* that Agenda or Asset. Likewise, you can have multiple upgrades in the root of central servers as well. It just has to be clear they're separate cards and the runner chooses in what order to access them after a successful run.

Also, make sure you print out a copy of the FAQ with the updated timing structure. Another common mistake is that runners don't realize they have an opportunity right before accessing cards in a server to jack out of the run. Corp just avoided rezzing two pieces of ice in front of his double-advanced installed card? You can jack out before hitting his Project Junebug.

#7 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

capbarclay said:

Upgrades were the biggest thing that tripped me up, since the rulebook isn't very clear on them. It explains well that upgrades can be installed in the root of central servers (Archives, R&D, HQ) and accessed at the end of a successful run there. But they're also installed at the end of remote servers like Agendas or Assets (it's just not called the "root" of the server then). In fact, while you can have only one Agenda or one Asset in a remote server, you can have any number of upgrades *in addition to* that Agenda or Asset. Likewise, you can have multiple upgrades in the root of central servers as well. It just has to be clear they're separate cards and the runner chooses in what order to access them after a successful run.

Slightly off-topic: Playing our first few games, my friend and I wondered why central servers had a root while remote servers didn't. I kept pondering it and figured it out: the root of a central server is a separate game area to make sure upgrades don't get shuffled into your hand, deck or discard pile. This just can't happen in remote servers.

#8 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

capbarclay said:

It just has to be clear they're separate cards and the runner chooses in what order to access them after a successful run.

Just to be clear, Upgrades in remote servers are installed on the same "level" as agendas/assets (since there is no root in remote servers) and it does not have to be clear when installing a card in a remote whether it is an upgrade or an agenda/asset.

And I agree that upgrades trip new players up a lot of the time, but I find it unfair to blame the rulebook; I think the rulebook is sufficiently clear on how to handle upgrades. (Just as it is sufficiently clear on most other issues that new players struggle with, it's often just a matter of people not reading carefully enough)

#9 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Messenger said:

Slightly off-topic: Playing our first few games, my friend and I wondered why central servers had a root while remote servers didn't. I kept pondering it and figured it out: the root of a central server is a separate game area to make sure upgrades don't get shuffled into your hand, deck or discard pile. This just can't happen in remote servers.

The simple reason is that there's practically no other place on the table to install them. In front of the server is the ice, to the sides of them there will likely be other servers, so behind the server is really the only spot where it makes sense to put an upgrade. And then the designer decided to give that area a name for flavor reasons.

#10 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Oh, I'm not referring to the physical location on the table. I was wondering why there needs to be a separate area, a distinction, between upgrade and server among central servers but not among remote ones, especially where a successful runner accesses both anyway in both servers. It's that cards in the central servers are always in flux- they're moving and changing and getting rearranged (R&D to HQ to Archives) while remote servers are usually pretty static (and clear in their movement when they do move). In all that movement, it's not hard for an upgrade to mixed into a place where it shouldn't be.

#11 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Messenger said:

I was wondering why there needs to be a separate area, a distinction, between upgrade and server among central servers

Eh? I don't understand. How would you install an upgrade in a central server and not have it be in a distinct location?

#12 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If you think of it as the deck being the "asset" installed in R&D, for example, you'll usually come to the right conclusion.

#13 capbarclay

capbarclay

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Saturnine said:

Just to be clear, Upgrades in remote servers are installed on the same "level" as agendas/assets (since there is no root in remote servers) and it does not have to be clear when installing a card in a remote whether it is an upgrade or an agenda/asset.

Right. It just has to be clear to the Runner how *many* cards are installed in the server, and each with a distinction from the others so s/he can choose how to access them (you can't create an endless single pile of cards in a server, for example).

#14 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Saturnine said:

Messenger said:

I was wondering why there needs to be a separate area, a distinction, between upgrade and server among central servers

Eh? I don't understand. How would you install an upgrade in a central server and not have it be in a distinct location?

Imagine that central servers in the game didn't have roots. The upgrade cards would thus occupy the same physical location as the hand, deck and discard pile, the same way upgrades occupy the same place as an asset or agenda in a remote server.

As such, it's easy for those upgrades to get mixed back into one's HQ, R&D and Archives, either to the unfair advantage or disadvantage of the Corp player. Occupying the same space, what's to stop an upgrade from being mistaken as simply the bottom card of one's deck or discard pile? In the hustle and bustle of moving cards around, it can happen.

The answer to this problem is to create areas within each central server that are still apart and distinct from one's hand, deck and discard pile. Hence, central servers have roots.

#15 BrandonCarpenter

BrandonCarpenter

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Couple things we've had to catch ourselves doing:

• corps paying credits for additional ICE installed on a server
  • runners keeping track of their memory (as an aside, why didn't they add a graphic under Link for Memory Unit?)
  • corps losing track of when they can rez assets/upgrades (outside of their three clicks)
  • runners are not flatlined at 0 cards

#16 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

BrandonCarpenter said:

• runners keeping track of their memory (as an aside, why didn't they add a graphic under Link for Memory Unit?)

That's a really interesting point. The identities already show deck size, influence and base link; why didn't they make Memory Units a stat in itself when it can indeed vary between different Runners?

#17 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Messenger said:

BrandonCarpenter said:

That's a really interesting point. The identities already show deck size, influence and base link; why didn't they make Memory Units a stat in itself when it can indeed vary between different Runners?

I think if they showed MU instead of Base Link and Mac's card said "+1 Link", that would be good enough.

#18 papy72

papy72

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

As the corp, for some reason I keep forgetting that you do not HAVE to install AND rez an asset at the same time.  I can't count the number of times I've installed Melange Mining Corp (rezed) on click 3 just hoping the runner wouldn't immediately kill it.

#19 papy72

papy72

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

etherial said:

I think if they showed MU instead of Base Link and Mac's card said "+1 Link", that would be good enough.

In thinking about it, they should probably have put an MU icon on all the runners.  It may have been missed in the graphical design.  After all, they knew Kate would have a 1 link and some bonus text to boot so the need to put a link icon on the runners would be more obvious.

#20 Goldenfoon

Goldenfoon

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Great idea for a post, guilty of making some of the mistakes myself.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS