location icons ???

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

there are icons on every location. but what are we supposed to do with them ? or how can we use those icons on those places ? should we draw a mythos or encounter or are the missions written on them in order to use those icons on printed areas or should we directly take any card from the common items or magic or etc. ? 

another one is, it says '' street area '' does this sentence include all places according to one street ? for example '' Science bulding, administration and library '' all these belongs to Miskatonic university. 

can somebody help please ? 

thnk you so much

#2 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

I'll have a go. Hope that this makes sense and that I understood your questions correctly!

Mistherion said:

there are icons on every location. but what are we supposed to do with them ? or how can we use those icons on those places ? should we draw a mythos or encounter or are the missions written on them in order to use those icons on printed areas or should we directly take any card from the common items or magic or etc. ? 

I think you're refering to the small icons to the bottom left and right (and sometimes centre) of the location picture. If so, I think that these just give an idea what sort of tokens/attributes wil be affected by encounters there. E.g. a clue symbol (the magnifying glass) means that there's a reasonable chance that encounters there will give a chance to gain (or possibly lose?) clues. A sanity (brain) symbol means that encounters there have a chance to gain (?) sanity.

If an icon has a black background, then it's always available… for a price.

e.g. both "South Church" and "Arkham Asylum" show the sanity (brain) symbol, meaning that some encounters there allow you to gain sanity, but Arkham Asylum has a black background as you can use the special location encounter for a guaranteed sanity gain (1 san for free or max sanity for $2).

The icons for all official FFG boards are shown on the AH wiki here: http://www.arkhamhor...ki.com/Location

Mistherion said:

another one is, it says '' street area '' does this sentence include all places according to one street ? for example '' Science bulding, administration and library '' all these belongs to Miskatonic university. 

If a card or rule says "streets" or "street area" then it means just the (rectangular, pictureless) street area and not the locations connected to the street. e.g. Just "Miskatonic University" and not Science Building, Library or Administration.

Some cards will explicitly state streets and locations when they refer to the locations as well as the street. e.g. "return all monsters in Miskatonic University streets and locations to the cup" would remove any monsters in "Miskatonic University", Science Building, Library and Administration.

#3 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

thnk you so much for your replies, they really helped a lot to understand the game better. but for those icons, can i have those stuff when i go to those locations or anything else ? if we can draw cards whenever we arrive those places, there will be lots of cards on our hands :S seems not so logic. right? 

#4 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

The icons only show what the encounters are most likely to give you. You don't get a common item just by moving to an area with a common item icon, you have to take an encounter card and resolve it and that encounter card will have a fair chance of giving you a common item but it's not guaranteed. And even if it can give give you something you often have to pass a skillcheck to get it.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Mistherion,

location icons are just a hint on what's most likely to find in those places. If a location has a cash and clues symbols, this does not imply you can't pick up an encounter offering the chance to gain a Unique Item; nontheless, the odds of drawing such an encounter is lower than the chance of getting money / clues encounters. If the background of the symbol is black, this means you can have that certain thing by using the location special ability instead of having an encounter there

Hope this helps

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Julia said:

If the background of the symbol is black, this means you can have that certain thing by using the location special ability instead of having an encounter there

Hope this helps

This was something I noticed almost immediately but I think often times gets overlooked.  Good catch Julia!  I'm glad that my board isn't the only one printed like this!  :)

#7 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

aha, it is very very clear now, thnx to you all. i hope i can ask some more questions when i face some more :) 

Thank you all so much ! 

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Mistherion said:

i hope i can ask some more questions when i face some more :) 

Sure! There is always someone here willing to help :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#9 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

here i am with a new question :) 

now i drew an enviroment card. it says :

Things of Darkness

Environment ( mystic ) 

Ghouls, Formless spawns and some other monsters….. have their toughness increased by 1 

the question is should i keep this card till the end of the game or should i discard it at the end of this turn _? 

#10 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

and another question :

it says investigators can not move into or out of the merchant district streets. ok i have an investigator at merchant disctrict. can i move that investigator into any part of this street ? for example she is just at the street and at The Unnameable there is a clue token. can i go there to take it ? all in all i m not getting out of the streets or moving into out of streets. ?

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Mistherion said:

Environment ( mystic ) 

Ghouls, Formless spawns and some other monsters….. have their toughness increased by 1 

the question is should i keep this card till the end of the game or should i discard it at the end of this turn _? 

Environment cards stay in play until a new environment enters play. More specifically, if you draw an environment Mythos Card and you already have one in play, the old Environment is active until you start resolving the special text of the new Mythos cards

#12 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Mistherion said:

Things of Darkness

Environment ( mystic ) 

Mistherion said:

Things of Darkness

Environment ( mystic ) 

It's an Environment card - as detailed on p12 of the rules, you can only have one of these in play at once. So place it face up on the table so you can see it and it applies until another Environment card is drawn (in another mythos phase) and replaces it.

Note that it doesn't matter what subtype of Environment card it is (mystic, urban or weather iirc), you only have one Environment card active at once.

(Some effects can slightly alter this - for example the ancient one Ithaqua stops Environment (weather) cards from having their ongoing effects. But if the game you're playing is just base AH and isn't against Ithaqua you probably don't need to worry about that for this game!)

#13 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

great informations and really these are the missing parts of the puzzle. 

and here i faced a sitaution: i entered back to arkham and i want to close the gate. but i have just 2 clue tokens and no elder sign unique item. what is my chance to close it this turn or any other next turns ? should i explore the other world again? i know i asked too much but really these are so confusing situations for me at the moment about the game. i really adore the game and with your help i will resolve all the stuff about it. 

thnk you so much all

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Mistherion said:

and another question :

it says investigators can not move into or out of the merchant district streets. ok i have an investigator at merchant disctrict. can i move that investigator into any part of this street ? for example she is just at the street and at The Unnameable there is a clue token. can i go there to take it ? all in all i m not getting out of the streets or moving into out of streets. ?

You're doing a little confusion here. Streets are not location. Let me explain:

- we have a Neighborhood, made of streets and locations. For instant, the Merchant District Neighborhood consist in the Merchant District Streets and three locations (Unvisited Isle, Unnamable, River Docks)

- only the "street" is a "stree area" (here sometimes FFG wording was kidna sloppy; be patient with those cards)

So: investigators can not move into or out of the Merchant district streets means that:

a) investigators either at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks may not move from their location (because for doing so, they should enter the Merchant district streets). During the Arkham Encounter Phase they will draw an encounter card as usual

b) investigators in the Merchant district streets cannot move at all

c) investigators somewhere else in Arkham can move freely, but they cannot enter the Merchant district streets.

Hope its clear now. May I ask you the language your game was translated? Just curious :-)

#15 Mistherion

Mistherion

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

it is printed in english, it is just me that i have no idea about the terms of the game :) 

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Mistherion said:

great informations and really these are the missing parts of the puzzle. 

and here i faced a sitaution: i entered back to arkham and i want to close the gate. but i have just 2 clue tokens and no elder sign unique item. what is my chance to close it this turn or any other next turns ? should i explore the other world again? i know i asked too much but really these are so confusing situations for me at the moment about the game. i really adore the game and with your help i will resolve all the stuff about it. 

thnk you so much all

Closing and sealing are two different things. The required conditions for closing a gate are:

a) having an explorer marker (you gain it after successfully exploring the OW)

b) passing a Lore / Fight check modified by the modificator on the gate (only one success is required to close any gate, unless you're playing a Yog-Sothoth game or some nasty Environment is in play)

Then, if you manage to successfully close the gate, you can immediately spend 5 clues to seal it.

Or, if you have an Elder sign, you may return it to the box to seal automatically the gate (without rolling for closing the gate)

#17 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Mistherion said:

it is printed in english, it is just me that i have no idea about the terms of the game :) 

::laughter::

#18 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Julia said:

a) investigators either at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks may not move from their location (because for doing so, they should enter the Merchant district streets). During the Arkham Encounter Phase they will draw an encounter card as usual

b) investigators in the Merchant district streets cannot move at all

c) investigators somewhere else in Arkham can move freely, but they cannot enter the Merchant district streets.

Julia: I was just answering Mistherion when I saw you'd done so… which is great but made me want clarification on a couple of oddities.

As I understand it:

- If an investigator is at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks and an encounter tells them to move to an other world (such as by a gate opening) then they can, as the street area doesn't come into it.

But what if an investigator is at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks and:

a) An encounter tells them to move to the street?

B) An encounter tells them to move to anywhere else in Arkham except for the street?

I'd presume that in the case of a the investigator stays where they are - but I may even be wrong with that. It's really asking does the mythos effect or the encounter effect take priority.

And what about the reverse of B (i.e. if an investigator elsewhere in Arkham has an encounter that says to move to somewhere that they couldn't normally get to without either passing through a blocked/locked street or using gates)? 

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

Judgement Dave said:

Julia: I was just answering Mistherion when I saw you'd done so… which is great but made me want clarification on a couple of oddities.

As I understand it:

- If an investigator is at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks and an encounter tells them to move to an other world (such as by a gate opening) then they can, as the street area doesn't come into it.

But what if an investigator is at the Unnamable, the Unvisited Isle or the River Docks and:

a) An encounter tells them to move to the street?

B) An encounter tells them to move to anywhere else in Arkham except for the street?

I'd presume that in the case of a the investigator stays where they are - but I may even be wrong with that. It's really asking does the mythos effect or the encounter effect take priority.

And what about the reverse of B (i.e. if an investigator elsewhere in Arkham has an encounter that says to move to somewhere that they couldn't normally get to without either passing through a blocked/locked street or using gates)? 

Dave, the answers given were general rules to follow since the OP seemed a little… lost (in time, space, Arkham and rulebooks). There are items, cards and so on allowing you a certain degree of freedom. As for your specific questions, I'd say:

a) Mythos card has the precedence, so the investigator stays at the Unvisited Isle (or whatelse). Please note that there is also this interesting FAQ entry:

Q: When the Fourth of July Parade! is resolved, where does an investigator go if he is kicked out or Barred [CotDP] from a location in the Merchant District?
A: Immediately move the shortest distance needed to leave. If 2 or more spaces are tied for the shortest, the player chooses.

I guess this implies that being Barred has the precedence over the Mythos card, but I strongly believe this is something specific for the Barred cards; for "normal" move to the street encounters, I'd give the precedence to the Mythos card

b) When you're instructed to move to another location, you ignore all what's in between your actual position and your destination (monsters, and so on), so I'd say you can move away (you don't "enter" Merchant districts streets, nor you leave them, you go directly to the new location)

#20 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

Cheers Julia.

That's pretty much what I thought would be the case, except for my not spotting that FAQ!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS