• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Episode 005 of Elder Things is up!

In this episode we talk about Tomes, a Dark Young themed deck, we have an exclusive The Key & The Gate spoiler card for you (thanks FFG!), a beginner feature on handling uncontested stories, and more…

You can download the episode from cardgamedb.com:

Full show notes and the spoiler card image are up on our blog:

#2 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

dboeren said:

Episode 005 of Elder Things is up!

In this episode we talk about Tomes, a Dark Young themed deck, we have an exclusive The Key & The Gate spoiler card for you (thanks FFG!), a beginner feature on handling uncontested stories, and more…

You can download the episode from cardgamedb.com:

Full show notes and the spoiler card image are up on our blog:

Awesome that you got a spoiler! 

This card seems that it would slot really well into the current Shub-Yog monstrosity. Due to resource ramping, it'd be more likely for you to be able to take over one of your opponent's characters without them begin able to take it back (in the sort of back and forth way), even if they don't have Yog. It's also possible for some mid-challenge switcheroos.

I still think Faceless Abductor is a better card, because at least you aren't giving your opponent a character. The one upside is they will be hesitant to kill him off since you will then be able to play another, but he can be insanity soak a lot.

#3 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Danigral said:

Awesome that you got a spoiler!

This card seems that it would slot really well into the current Shub-Yog monstrosity. Due to resource ramping, it'd be more likely for you to be able to take over one of your opponent's characters without them begin able to take it back (in the sort of back and forth way), even if they don't have Yog. It's also possible for some mid-challenge switcheroos.

I still think Faceless Abductor is a better card, because at least you aren't giving your opponent a character. The one upside is they will be hesitant to kill him off since you will then be able to play another, but he can be insanity soak a lot.

Thanks, we thought so too :)  And thanks again to FFG for providing us with the card and image to post.

We've only had a chance to play a little bit with the card, but so far we've really liked it.  Haven't seen a takeback situation yet as we haven't done a Yog-on-Yog battle - we wanted to try "normal" games first.  In that specific situation it may end up being a resource though.

Faceless Abductor loses a character for both players.  His might be a little bigger, but his comes back (will be replayed) and yours does not.  It's mainly useful to deal with an immediate issue I think.  Still a good card.

Peaslee does an exchange, nobody gains or loses a character - they're just different ones.  Ideally, you gain a big guy and they gain a crappy little guy.  Except.. it's not even as good as a normal crappy little guy because they can't afford to let him die.  With a normal 1-cost character, you'd likely be willing to use them to soak a combat struggle to save your bigger guys.  With Peaslee you're reluctant to do that (or at least we were) because we suspect our opponent may have ANOTHER Peaslee in his hand ready to grab another one of our good characters.  The only way to prevent that is to keep him alive.  Now because your opponent may have story tricks, every time you send him to a story you're risking him dying somehow - so in a sense you're reluctant to even commit him that often.  Yeah, you likely still do it at least sometimes, but you know you're taking a risk by doing so and sooner or later you might get bitten.  Anyway, it makes for some interesting decisions for sure which is why I really like this card!

Insanity is a good job for him as long as there are no story surprises but dropping to zero skill can put him as a target for something like Calling Down the Ancients.  Well, we all already know that nowhere is safe.  This is Call of Cthulhu, not Call of Cuddly Bunnies.  No matter what they do with him, he's somewhere and the more he does the more chance you might have to eventually kill him and do your trick again.

The flip side of this is that if you draw another Peaslee and you HAVEN'T managed to kill the first one you've got a choice to make on whether to hold him or resource him.  Again, interesting decisions.

Of course one of the best tricks so far is when I had a Peaslee in play, drew BOTH the other copies, and resourced one so my opponent thought I no longer held one.  This tricked him into putting his at risk so I could kill it and play my second copy.  Stealing the guy that grants Toughness to the other guys so they die off is also pretty sweet  :)

#4 Jan

Jan

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

Just wanted to say keep up the good work! This game needs a quality podcast like this. :)

#5 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

Thanks.

Also, we *finally* got the podcast successfully submitted to iTunes after being stuck on an obscure error for a long time.  I'm not even sure what fixed it, but it's there now.

We're planning to meet to record Episode 006 in about a week, so stay tuned :)

#6 Rudd1ger

Rudd1ger

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Great show guys, enjoyed the Podcast as usual :) Looking forward to hearing the next episode as it will be interesting to hear others tactics and thoughts while playing a match. As we have an almost non existant community where I am located, I rarely get insight as to how others play the game with the except few I manage to convince to play with me.

#7 Jan

Jan

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Any news on the next episode? :)

#8 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Jan said:

Any news on the next episode? :)

Just posted it.  We ran into some "technical difficulties" that ruined most of the recording and had to do the episode over, didn't mean for it to take that long :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS