Custom LED Gaming Table

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 R2-EQ

R2-EQ

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

I want to say thank you to Nalydd for posting pics of his LED game board.

http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=720193

I had been putting off printing a star scape or sprinkling white on a black piece of fabric because i wanted to do something unique and dare i say epic. Nalydd's project was the inspiration I needed. He also gave some valuable and thoughtful advice. Thanks man!

After deciding that I was going to play in the Kessel run tournament last night, I made sure I got around to completing my LED table for it. Here is how it turned out.

The best part was seeing how people started smiling when they saw it light up and how they enjoyed playing on it.

The table seems to have been good luck for my buddy r5don4 as he won his 12th falcon playing the Kessel championship round with it. imho r5don4 should change his handle to "the falconer" as he drives all around southern ontario collecting them…

Repaints, Reports and X-Wing Love http://dockingbay416.com/

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Man, that is awesome!

#3 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

1- This is awesome

2- I hate your friend. I know it has been some time…but I dislike people like him. Why? Why do you need 12 falcons? Why not win and trade it for other ships? Its a game I know, and I dont know what he did with them but why keep playing and deny other people the chance to get one? 

Yes other people may not be as good, point made on his 3rd falcon… why deny the other 9. To sell them on ebay? Ive read a lot of people on boards saying theyve won like 5 slave 1 and other ships…I really dislike this kind of behavior from players… I mean If it was me I guess 2 would make the mark…then if all I want to do is comete I would trade my winning ship with other players so I can have every wave 2 model, not denying anyone a ship. 

Im generalizing and maybe your buddy is not that kind of person, and this is just a personal rant…but Man I read 12 falcons and that got me angry. 

#4 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

i really hope your buddy is giving away Falcon's to people, otherwise he's being a ****** by not spreading the love around for other players to play with them when he could just as easily be taking other models that were clearly available

that being said, your table looks fantastic and curious if you have any videos posted on how you created it?

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#5 R2-EQ

R2-EQ

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Lol!

Guys guys guys….

Can't you tell I was stretching the truth by claiming that he won 12!!!! falcons? There probably haven't been that many Kessel Run events in all of Canada!

In defence of R5Don4 he is a great guy and afaik helps to organise events for X-Wing a lot. He has won his fair share of championship games but that's because he's a good player. And what, the ships are worth like $20? It's just a game. No need to get angry imho.

If you're still not satisfied I'll tell you this nice story. At my first Kessel Run event (I've been to 3) he came in second place but decided to take an A-Wing because he already had the Slave 1. The guy in 3rd place was so happy and surprised it brought a smile to my face.

As far as having a video on how I made the table no I don't sorry.

Repaints, Reports and X-Wing Love http://dockingbay416.com/

#6 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Its a game and they will be released next month. Still Ive read people here hitting various tournaments and wining then selling them on ebay and gloating about it here, on boardgamegeek and other forums. Its cool if your buddy is not like that, but for the people who are…well…they are a$$h0%3s

#7 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

And no. Not 20. When kessel run started they sold at 100 bucks on ebay. Thus the reason for europe stores not making the events at all or deruche players hitting the runs to get ships and sell them. You can be the best player and that does not make you a good player. 

Rant Over.

#8 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

R2-EQ said:

I want to say thank you to Nalydd for posting pics of his LED game board.

http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=720193

I had been putting off printing a star scape or sprinkling white on a black piece of fabric because i wanted to do something unique and dare i say epic. Nalydd's project was the inspiration I needed. He also gave some valuable and thoughtful advice. Thanks man!

'Twas a pleasure sir.  You got a fantastic looking table there.

#9 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Say epic, man. Say it. 

That table is totally worthy of the word. 

Beautiful result. Really, really impressed!

#10 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Agreed. Great looking play surface. I would definitely smile if I got to play on something like that. reir

#11 RAGE1073

RAGE1073

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Can you tell us what materials you used and how long it took you?

i would really like to make a table like this

#12 Dinobassus

Dinobassus

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Wow.  I just can't think of any other word to describe that table.  Well done!

#13 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Ha, oh man, my ears should've been burning earlier today I suppose. burla 

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#14 Marenar

Marenar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

That is one awesome table! I want one :)

#15 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

It's really awesome, Would you consider in sell???, greetings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#16 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

This is really incredible work.  I know I would love to play a game on that board.  Just Fantastic.  I'm curious about the surface of the board.  It's hard to tell, but I was wondering do your peices slide around on it much?

#17 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

At present, stock bases do slide around readily, but he has plans to make it be a more slip resistant surface.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#18 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Very nice!  A friend and I have been working on the concept of space board also:  The surface will be plexiglass with airbrushed effects.  Several tiny diameter holes will be then drilled in surface for installation of fiber optic lighting kit.  The fiber optic kit will be set up with an alternating color change pattern, so the effect on the board will be gradually color changing stars.  We already use small rotating bases under our half-hemisphere planets so that they have a rotational visual effect.  Don't expect to see the final product anytime too soon!

Enimo Et Fide

#19 RAGE1073

RAGE1073

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

He posted these pics on other forums and all people want to know is how they can make their own, but he hasn't replied to any post.

if you want to keep it secret then it's fine, but at least say it. I really wanted to make one for my little bro.

#20 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

@ Rage, I made mine primarily so my little boy could play vs. me on.  He's only six and has beaten me twice!  I call it luck, though Obi-Wan might disagree.

I used 20mm thick MDF board to start with cut to 4x4', it's a gaming table I've had for a while. 

Simple version: Get a string of battery operated LEDs from Ebay or similar, I mangaed to get 40 for about £5 but a few more won't hurt.  Spread them out and mark out the positions.  Drill small holes (0.5-1.5mm) from the top (playing) surface of the table all the way through.  Then drill holes the diameter of the LED bulbs about half way through the table from the other side.  Paint the surface black adding white dots and other space details to taste.  Pop in LEDs, switch on and then play.  Easy as toast.  There is a link to my original idea in the first post I think, if not just search for my posts, I'm not massively active so there won't be much history to wade through.

R2-EQ's table is more refined than mine as I was kind of making it up as I went along.

Good luck and have fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS