X-Wing Regional Championship tournament [Pittsburgh, PA]

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

The only X-Wing Regional Championship tournament being held in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas will be at GASP Games Day, Saturday May 4th.

Please visit http://eonsreach.com...hp?topic=6286.0 for full details on this event.

Registration starts at 11am and the tournament kicks-off at noon.  The $10 entry fee gets you free drinks during the tournament, as well as 1 raffle ticket for additional prizes to be given away at the end of the tournament.  You can purchase more tickets during the event to increase your odds of winning.

You can post any questions here, or on the GASP calendar entry above.

Thanks,

Don

#2 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I forgot to mention that GASP has a game sales vendor that sets-up shop every month.  Chuck-a-Con game sales will be on-hand and will have plenty of X-Wing (and other games) for sale.  His prices are very competitive with internet retailers.  He will also be providing the additional door prize support.

Thanks,

Don

#3 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

An on-line sign-up sheet was created, and I'll duplicate it here.  I'm leaving 10 spots reserved for on-site registrations.  Reply to this thread with your name and I'll add it to the list.  I'll also take alternate sign-ups in case of no-shows the day of the event.

23. ON-SITE RESERVED
24. ON-SITE RESERVED
25. ON-SITE RESERVED
26. ON-SITE RESERVED
27. ON-SITE RESERVED
28. ON-SITE RESERVED
29. ON-SITE RESERVED
30. ON-SITE RESERVED
31. ON-SITE RESERVED
32. ON-SITE RESERVED
Alternate 1 - 
Alternate 2 - 
Alternate 3 - 
Alternate 4 - 
Alternate 5 - 
Alternate 6 - 
Alternate 7 - 
Alternate 8 - 
Alternate 9 - 
Alternate 10 - 

#4 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

Unfortunately I can't edit the post with the sign-up sheet, so please visit the GASP forum to see the list.  You can still reply here and I'll add your name to the list on the GASP forum.

http://eonsreach.com...hp?topic=6286.0

Sorry,

Don

#5 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

We are half way filled with pre-registrations for this tournament (11 of 22).  There will still be 10 spots saved for on-site registration the day of the event, but that will be first-come, first-serve.  To hold a spot now, post a reply here, or send me an e-mail with your name - info[at]gaspgamer[dot]com.

We've updated our news page with details on the tournament, for any that had an issue accessing our forum post.

http://www.gaspgamer...ews/x_wing.html

Thanks,

Don

#6 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

We played a small tournament at our Games Day yesterday, partly to work out the kinks for the Regional Championship event.  Here are some changes we decided to make.

1. Change the time per round to 60 minutes (from 50 minutes).  50 minutes just wasn't enough time to get a solid game in.

2. We used our simple scoring system yesterday (3/2/1 W/D/L), but I see now the beauty of the FFG scoring system (5/3/1/0) so we will use that for the Regionals

3. To help prevent players from quiting the tournament after a loss or two, you must play all rounds to be eligible for any door prizes.  It really sucks to have people that want to play not be able to play because their opponent quit.  The main point of the event is to have fun play X-Wing with new people, and we hope the door prizes we have will entice people to stay the course and finish the event even if they cannot win first place.  Remember, if you lose a game you get an extra raffle ticket for the door prizes as well.  We have some great door prizes to give out.

4. Not really a change but a reminder to please come prepared to play.  Bring 2 legible copies of your list (very important) and all the materials needed to play.  Also it would be helpful to build your force ahead of time and show up ready.  We all know X-Wing has many fiddly parts, and having just 10 people yesterday scrambling to build their lists was space consuming.  Try to bring only what you need to play.

5. Another reminder: The tournament starts promptly at noon, with registration beginning at 11am.  It will take some time to verify every person's list and get everyone signed-in , so please try to show up as early as possible (Games Day officially opens at 10am, but we start set-up around 9:30).  If you miss the noon start time but still want to play, you will receive a LOSS for round 1 and can join in round 2.  As an incentive to get people there early, anyone that shows up at 9:30am and helps set-up will get an extra door prize ticket.

We will update our tournament news page soon with these changes - http://www.gaspgamer...ews/x_wing.html

Thanks,

Don

#7 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

Only 4 pre-reg spots left.  This is shaping up to be a kick-arse tournament.

In addition to the FFG prize support, here's a partial list of what GASP is given away for the door prize raffle.  As more prize support rolls in, we'll be adding it to the raffle.
 - 1 of each of the Wave 2 ships
 - At least eight 3x3 play mats (maybe up to 16)
 - Possibly a few custom acrylic range rules or set of movement templates (working on that now)

We will still keep 10 spots open for on-site registration, but I expect those to fill rather quicky the day of the event.

Thanks,
Don

#8 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Pre-registration is now closed.  You can still request to be placed on the Alternate list, in case a pre-reg does not show-up.  This is not a guarantee you will get a spot.  Otherwise you will need to sign-up for one of the 10 remaining spots the day of the event.  Registration will begin as soon as set-up is complete (set-up starts at 9:30am), no later than 11am.

Thanks,
Don

#9 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Less than 1 week left until the GASP Regional tournament.  There are 10 spots reserved for on-site registrations, but if we happen to get a large walk-up crowd, the decision was made to allow more than 32 players.  We don't want anyone to have to walk away from this one!

Door prizes have been finalized, this is in addtion to the FFG prize kit

• 1x Millenium Falcon
  • 1x Slave 1
  • 2x Tie Interceptor
  • 2x A-Wing
  • 10x custom printed 3x3 maps
  • Acrylic range rules and movement templates
  • Anything else we can scrounge up before the tournament

Soft drinks are included in your entry fee during the tournament.

After the tournament, feel free to hang out for the rest of Games Day and play some more games with some new friends.

Thanks,

Don

#10 Longwell

Longwell

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

im going to try to be there early as a walk-in, since i just found this post today. Sounds like it will be a ton of fun!

#11 Longwell

Longwell

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

EDIT: Nevermind found my answer to the question

#12 Longwell

Longwell

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

will we be able to buy any ships from the vendor before the tourny?

#13 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

The tournament was a success.  We had 18 players as our final tally, less than expected as we had about 10 last minute cancellations.  The tournament went 5 rounds, and we finished in just over 6 hours, including a small break for pizza.  Here's a picture of the group before the tournament started.  Drinks were courtesy of R2D2 :)

Everyone walked away with at least 1 prize, including either a felt gaming mat or custom printed paper mat (starfield or space station surface), see below.

Thanks to everyone that came out and made the tournament a success!

#14 Knuckles29

Knuckles29

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

I will definately agree that it was a success.  I have never played with the GASP group, or with the X-Wing Community of that area, and was welcomed and had not a single problem that was not resolved promptly, accurately, and accepted openly by the group.

Unfortunate for those that dropped out, or did not come as it was a great deal of fun, I went 2 Win - 1 Modified - 2 loss, and did not even mind the losses.  I learned more than I ever could about this game, playing at home, from this event.  

My with, pictured above, actually took 3rd out of 18, and the upper tier players were tough.  The lists were diverse, they had a dealer on site if someone had a last minute need.. I was truly taken back as I had feared it would be either disorganized ot disrespectful to new-comers; neither were true.

I feel with this game gaining momentum, there can only be a boon in desire for more organized events.  Hopefully the support from FFG remains constant, or even better, increases.

The prize support was acceptable, but ironically, the free ships being given had less impulsive glee for me than the acrylic Focus tokens.  I very much approve of adding alternate official parts to this game.  I am even hopeful that there will be some sort of upgrade/pilot packs as prizes for those whom have almost all the physical ships they need; such as myself.

To those I played, thank you.  And to the organizers, you surpassed my paranoid expectations and I will definately return in the future for more official events.

-Travis

#15 Knuckles29

Knuckles29

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

*My wife took 3rd

#16 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words Travis.  This was GASP's first forey into major organized events, but we've had a lot of experience running more local events and tournaments for other miniature games like BattleTech, D&D minis, Star Wars minis, and Warmachine.

I'm hoping you three can make it out for a regular Games Day and experience all the other fun stuff GASP has to offer.  You were all a great addition to the tournament.  I'd definitely like to get some casual games in with you.

See you later,

Don

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS