I programmed a maneuvers test bench in C#

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

This program is meant to let you test out a sequence of maneuvers and visually see how it fills out the game area's space. You can try out formation maneuvers and figure out the best initial placement for your ships to prevent collisions and clogging. It's not meant to be a playable multiplayer game client at all. I think the main feature I wanted for myself is to see all movements at once, all rounds at once.

I'm looking for some feedback for my next round of improvements. Here's what I'm already aiming for:

-Add barrel rolls

-Saving a game in progress, regardless of number of already programmed in movements

wave3c.png

Download link: (Updated September 8th 2013): https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

(click image for larger view) 

Demo video 1: basic ship placement, arbitrary rotation, playback mode
http://screencast.com/t/CR5CSC8dCCQ

Demo video 2: What happens if you replace a move in an already defined sequence of moves, during playback mode 
http://screencast.com/t/Og5ewfFu1i

Thanks to the following BGG beta testers for their suggestions and feedback:

reitoei :
noticed imperfect rotations FIXED
asteroids TO DO
undo button DONE
delete ship DONE
playback DONE
give every ship a 1 straight because of ion cannon) TO DO

xBino
undo button DONE
toggle for a grid or moveable range ruler TO DO

Edited by Mu0n, 08 September 2013 - 12:44 PM.

X[5]  Y[3]  A[4]  B[4]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#2 COM 2D

COM 2D

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Interesting concept, but a lot of stuff is getting cut off on my screen even with the resolution maxed out. There doesn't appear to be any way to resize elements or scroll to access things I can't read or see. While it looks cool, I'm afraid it's unusable, at least on my machine.

Edit:

Here is a screen shot of it on my PC:

Screenshot

#3 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I use a 1920x1080 resolution and I did see there was some weirdness when you resized the window, I didn't think it'd get that bad. I've now fixed the problem by giving the faulty elements the ability to autoscroll and to dock themselves to the top left.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm going to add a new feature or two before uploading a new version tonight.

#4 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

New update!

-Fixed the pegs for the larger base ships
-Fixed autoscroll when resizing the window
-Added create screenshot button
-Added create gallery of screenshots for the whole sequence button

Demo video 3: You can create a sequence of .png files of the whole sequence of moves - the idea is to facilitate battle reports posted in forums

#5 COM 2D

COM 2D

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Nice! Much better, and it works great! I've been putting down minis on the table and trying to get a feel for how to maneuver various sized formations without my ships stepping all over each other. This is a much nicer solution. 

#6 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

I've been working hard on several super-needed features. Here's the first phase (hopefully the second phase will be done before the weekend is over):

March 15th version: https://docs.google....hZOE1WQ1QwRTQ/…

-Huge interface overhaul for the ship spawning

-Fixed repeated koiograns that would shift slightly if you made a ton of them repetitively (won't happen ingame, but this is good on a perfection point of view)

-Menu item that lets you change the board size from the default 913 mm x 913 mm.

-Asteroids! You can place as many of the 6 asteroids you want. They'll be placed alongside the ships in the manifest list.

-Added Boost + Barrel buttons, they are non-functional but they'll work in next update (it's going to be non-trivial to add this, I have to change many things first).

full size view: http://s93768914.onl.../fullsetup2.png

#7 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

It would be helpful to be able to move items after placing to you can more easily set up the starting area.

#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Daeglan said:

It would be helpful to be able to move items after placing to you can more easily set up the starting area.

If I'm reading this right, this is something that would be useful to me too. Let's say that I set up my ships just so, and start moving them about. I find that after a few moves, they overlap, so I'd like to adjust the starting position. It would be nice to be able to drag the whole movement path up to that point, rather than having to back up, reposition and start over again.

This is a great tool, and I have used it to test out some movement strategies. I'd love to see firing arcs incorporated.

#9 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hi nice tool, do you have the source code somewhere online like github?

greetings from a fellow Codemonkey

#10 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

ziggy2000 said:

Daeglan said:

If I'm reading this right, this is something that would be useful to me too. Let's say that I set up my ships just so, and start moving them about. I find that after a few moves, they overlap, so I'd like to adjust the starting position. It would be nice to be able to drag the whole movement path up to that point, rather than having to back up, reposition and start over again.

This is a great tool, and I have used it to test out some movement strategies. I'd love to see firing arcs incorporated.

First, I just want to make sure you're aware that by holding shift and moving the mouse about, you can displace the currently selected item (the one highlighted in red). It doesn't displace all its moves though, if it's a ship. I think it will be an easy fix the way I programmed this thing. I'll try to put it in the next update.

Keep up that feedback, it's invaluable to me to know where to focus my efforts next.

Firing arcs is going to be a little headache becasuse they're oblong circles. The vassal module programmer figured it out obviously, but I haven't yet. (or even tried).

#11 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Firing arcs are not oblong circles. they are one quarter of a circle centered on the ship. 4 firing arcs make a complete circle. :)

#12 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

I was not aware that holding the shift allowed that.

#13 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Daeglan said:

Firing arcs are not oblong circles. they are one quarter of a circle centered on the ship. 4 firing arcs make a complete circle. :)

Technically correct, but since range is measured from the base of the ship (not the center), the area you can actually hit is a quarter circle with a "flat space" in the middle that is exactly the width of the ship base. See the illustration below (from Vassal) to see what I'm talking about.

#14 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Eh Make it a quarter circle and call it good. Not like we are actually using this to fight combats. Just test manuevers.

#15 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Agreed. I was mainly wanting to use it to check field of fire coverage for multiple ships in a given formation.

#16 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Another great resource for the game…..well done…..keep up the great work

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#17 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

ziggy2000 said:

Technically correct, but since range is measured from the base of the ship (not the center), the area you can actually hit is a quarter circle with a "flat space" in the middle that is exactly the width of the ship base. See the illustration below (from Vassal) to see what I'm talking about.

A firing arc is also not 45 degrees, because the the "aim-lines" (for lack of a better word) are not half-diagonals of a square, they're half diagonals of a rectangle that's smaller in its width than its length. It's somewhere between 41-43 degrees depending on your inclusion of the width of the lines themselves or not.

#18 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

I updated my program with the new ships. 

August 16th version:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

wave3a.png

#19 Chrome

Chrome

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

thanks!

#20 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Instead of fretting about the main bug that remains, I'll disable playback for the time being and release this:

September 7th version (1st post has been edited as well)

Additions:
Barrel roll procedure:
-click on either barrel left or barrel right
-move mouse vertically (relative to current ship's position, always vertical even if it's rotated differently) to place your template
-click to confirm template's position
-move mouse vertically again to place ship's final position
-click to confirm choice

Once all these steps are made, you can backtrack in the case of an error, as if it was a move, with "undo last move"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS