Photo

Are they sabotaging their own game? It's the DICE stupid!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

It's got to be said, because either customer service isn't passing on this information or the upper management just doesn't give a ****:  FFG's lack of extra dice for purchase is sabotaging this whole system and doing irreparable harm to the license of this game, the sale of this game, and OUR ABILITY TO FIND PLAYERS FOR OUR GAMES.  Such a simple thing is keeping people out.

I talked to more people this weekend, poor-unknowing-sods, who are under the impression that FFG is dropping the game because they're not even bothering to produce the dice anymore.  

WTH FFG?  Get your reputation in order and get some more dice already!

jh

#2 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Gotta say I agree with you here. FFG need to get its poop in a group!

#3 WorkingDog

WorkingDog

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I was looking at getting  WFRP 3e but have backed away from doing so given the lack of dice availability.

I get the feeling FFG are not that supportive of the system anymore so I will leave it alone I think.

Cheers

#4 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

A dying game does not need dice or anything ;p

But suriously I don't think FFG is thinking of any reprints for WFRP. I really think that they whant to change the system into a new edition or upgraded one.

Cheers

#5 Pedro Lunaris

Pedro Lunaris

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Alright. Back to the Second Edition?

(I really hate upgrades before a decade. That was one of the reasons I stopped playing D&D, not only the game itself was feeling more and more like a videogame, it's releases were feeling like eletronic development: throw everything away and get new stuff to be updated. If WHRP 3e is left to rust, it will be the second great FFG game I play with which this happends - the first one being the excelent BattleLore.)

#6 OctoLux

OctoLux

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

I am not entirely sure, that they will axe the 3rd edition… Edge of the Empire uses a same mechanic (custom dice with success/failure symbols) only that now the expertise die is 12 sided I think… and of course the symbols are different.

I do not htink they would develop a similar game to WFRP3ed if 3ed would be a total disaster… or would they?

Olaf

#7 OctoLux

OctoLux

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

oh and by the way, there are some nice online tools for simulating wfrp dice rolls. I KNOW that iti s not the same as feeling the bones, hearing them chatter of success and failure and pronouncing the result with a clattering glee, but it can help. Even for Android there exist a self made tool to get the results… (sadly they have only an iPhud tool officially released…)

cheers

Olaf

#8 Ixiguis

Ixiguis

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I agree… come on FFG! One dice pack isn't nearly enough for my 7 playeres group.

BTW, I ordered some blank dice from "The Dice Shop Online", I'll try creating some custom fortune/misfortune dice. Not the ideal solution but it's a start…

#9 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Pedro Lunaris said:

Alright. Back to the Second Edition?

(I really hate upgrades before a decade. That was one of the reasons I stopped playing D&D, not only the game itself was feeling more and more like a videogame, it's releases were feeling like eletronic development: throw everything away and get new stuff to be updated. If WHRP 3e is left to rust, it will be the second great FFG game I play with which this happends - the first one being the excelent BattleLore.)

I was thinking about 2nd edition and I would not mind if FFG would do a revised WFRP 2ed version. It wouls be similar to that what some comp-anies do so they let players choose which edition of the game they want to play. Look at Wotc they released the 1st D&D as a reprint and now they will release the AD&D books but they are throwing out pdf versions - which is good in my opinion. FFG could do the same by making the WFRP 2ed as a revised edition in hardcover 400 pages books and only for a limited time or in limited number of copies. They could do 4 books with all the content from WFRP 2e:

- 1st Players Book (Rulebook, Career Compendium, Realms Of Sorcery, Tome of Salvation )

- 2nd GM Book (Old World Bestiary, Old World Armoury, Sigmars Heirs, Knights of the Grail, Realm of the Ice Queen, Children of The Hornet Rat, GM Toolkit + WFRP Companion)

- 3rd Adventure Books  (1st part of all adventures published for 2nd edition)

- 4th Adventure Books (2nd part of all adventures published for 2nd edition)

And then a new edition of WFRP with a begginers box  and a open beta would be great (If I could get the beta ;p). It should have all the best mechanics from each WFRP edition plus some new twists (The dice from WFRP 3e should stay or similar ones). And the most important thing is that it should have optional card components not required to play - this way every one could custom the game the way they want to play. Everybody would be happy with such a thing.

#10 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think its probably just a simple matter of demand. FFG aren't going to make more dice until their distributors ask them for X number of them (X being a sufficiently profitable number). And the distributors aren't ordering more of them because not that many people want them. Most people who have WFRP 3 already have sufficient dice (and the app serves for many of the rest).

Could FFG sell more copies of WFRP 3 if more dice were made available? Sure. But not enough to justify the cost, apparently.

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't know about where you guys live, but here in Denver, Colorado USA, of the 5 game stores we have in the area NONE carry WFRP3 anymore, so I don't think we're going to see any help from our local distributors at least (plus since WFRP3 went POD, there's not a store in town that would touch this game now).  ..and considering the lead turd that this games popularity was, a 4th edition would probably be even more of a money loser.

Anyways, this game needs dice packs.  A player shouldn't be forced to go pick up the core set just for the damned dice.

FFG…

FFG, are you listening!?!?!?!

jh

#12 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

macd21 said:

I think its probably just a simple matter of demand. FFG aren't going to make more dice until their distributors ask them for X number of them (X being a sufficiently profitable number). And the distributors aren't ordering more of them because not that many people want them. Most people who have WFRP 3 already have sufficient dice (and the app serves for many of the rest).

Could FFG sell more copies of WFRP 3 if more dice were made available? Sure. But not enough to justify the cost, apparently.

FFG is doing POD for small expansions. Might it be easy to do POD with dice? Seems like it would but I dunno.

#13 James Sparrow

James Sparrow

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Eradico Pravus said:

macd21 said:

FFG is doing POD for small expansions. Might it be easy to do POD with dice? Seems like it would but I dunno.

Books and dice have completely different production processes, so I doubt it. However, when 3D printing takes off, perhaps we'll be able to create our own.

Cheers

Sparrow

#14 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Eradico Pravus said:

macd21 said:

No idea. As James Sparrow pointed out making dice would have very different costs. It may not be viable to sell dice via POD - the price they'd have to charge would be too high and people would complain.

TBH I think the best option might be some kind of Kickstarter, but I don't know if FFG want to get into the KS market.

#15 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

They are not sabotating the game they just are planing something that we players do not know about.  For me such thing as the lack of dice, no reprints, the big winter sale and no annoucements mean that FFG is planing a 3.5 or 4e of WFRP. And I really don't get it why people ae getting so nervous about it? Fans of WFRP 2e were unhappy when FFG announced 3e, now fans of the 3e are nervouse becouse there is a chance, not officialy confirmed, that FFG would release 3.5e or 4e of WFRP. It always like that. People should be happy that the game is evolves and You are still getting more options in it and every edition is trying to be better then previous. The truth is that every WFRP was different and You can choose which one is the best for You. And with so much prevoius materials You can create an endless adventure.

Cheers and happy gaming

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS