Lascannon Overpowered?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 puenboy

puenboy

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

After looking at the Astartes Lascannon stats, it seems to be quite a… powerful weapon, to say the least. In addition, you can fire it 6 times before having to reload. I have personally not seen it in practice, but looking at the numbers seems to make it a no-brainer against anything and everything except hordes.

Is it broken?

#2 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

First off; make sure you're looking at the Errata weapon stats.

Secondly; Lascannons are damn good weapons in fluff. Most Guard vehicles mount one, most Imperial Navy aircraft have a few of them twin-linked, and they're the go-to weapon for taking out vehicles. You're looking at something made to blow up tanks and shooting it at critters.

That said, it doesn't have a Full-Auto option, it can't use specialized ammo, it has a small clip, it takes up both hands, and the fella firing it is making himself the biggest threat on the battlefield. The first time your Devastator fires it, expect every bit of incoming fire to focus on taking him out. It also isn't much good against Hordes, as you said.

Good, but not OP. Every weapon has its place.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#3 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

The Lascannon will kill most things (short of a vehicle or Greater Daemon) in a single shot. This doesn't make it over-powered though; it makes it over-kill. It's not something your average Kill-Team needs, and they're often better served with more versitile weapons (Missile Launchers, Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons).

So yes, it's an astonishingly dangerous gun, but certainly not the kind've thing you'd want to bring to every engagement. Lascannons don't mean much when there's 200 Orks charging your position.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#4 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

The weapon is made to kill really big tanks. Take a look at how much armour a Land Raider has. Makes sense now doesn't it?

As it is designed to cut through really thick armour I'd imagine a little puny human turning to a pink mist shouldn't be suprising. But then again, if your using it like this what happens when that tank rolls around the corner and you've just used your 6th shot to kill a dinky trooper? You're brothers aren't going to be too pleased with their dedicated anti-tank gunner being unable to fire at the tank for 2 turns while he reloads.

This RPG, thankfully, isn't like the tabletop, where rediculous not-tactics work. Its better to shoot things in most cases, and at long ranges. Especially tanks.

#5 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, it's a great weapon for taking out heavy armour 'n the like, but of limited usefulness otherwise. It looks like a no-brainer, but really your player's would usually be better off with a weapon that does less damage but has a larger clip and a higher rate of fire.

#6 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

It is a really big gun.  Yup, probably the biggest in the Space Marine's arsenal.  But It is pretty much overkill for most things, and almost worthless against hordes.

But yes, if you want to take out a tank, spacecraft, or giant monster it is a really good gun.

Look at a fig carrying one.  Though I don't think there are rules stating this in the game, most GM's should not let a devestator (or any) marine carry a Lascannon and another heavy weapon.

So if having a Lascannon means you can't have a heavy bolter, It is far from overpowered.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#7 Tacitus05

Tacitus05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Anything in Deathwatch that is one shot, has a hard time getting through Fields of any variety. So if you are going against a tank or something that has armor, its great, but going against something with a 50% chance per hit of nothing? I would stick to the Heavy Bolter. In my group we run with a devastator with Heavy Bolter, as it is great against hordes and can take out most light vehicles and big baddies.They might save one..two..maybe three, but six hits? We also carry a Missile Launcher, with both frag and krak. Good for Hordes, good for light armor.

#8 Mindforge

Mindforge

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

The Lascannon looks great on paper. You'll miss out on a lot of versatility, a higher chance to hit (adding in a bonus for burst fire weapons) and I'm pretty sure that a Lascannon charge pack is probably huge so carrying around enough ammo should not be easy. In Dark Heresy, a Lascannon is operated by a two man crew. One to lug the ammo around and one to carry the cannon. I would say that the charge pack is probably the size of a backpack.

So, you get 6 shots. You would have a hard time carrying around all the power packs you would need for a mission. The damage output is great, don't get me wrong but I agree with pretty much everyone here. The Lascannon is a situational weapon. If you are going into a mission where armored vehicles are going to be your primary enemies - take one.

#9 Tacitus05

Tacitus05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Instead of taking one ourselves, we prefer to just take a razor back with us, with the twin linked las cannons. Works for that off chance we have to take down a vehicle.

#10 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Tacitus05 said:

Instead of taking one ourselves, we prefer to just take a razor back with us, with the twin linked las cannons. Works for that off chance we have to take down a vehicle.

If you have a Razorback, why aren't you using the las/plas?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#11 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

Tacitus05 said:

If you have a Razorback, why aren't you using the las/plas?

Ah Las-plas razorbacks, the best of both worlds.

Well… not quite but it illustrates the point that Lascannon are the most powerful against a single target, but that itself is very limiting.

If you taking it because someone else is sorting out any hordes (say with a flamer or stormbolter) then that's the point and you are using it well.

If a devastator has to be able to counter both then taking a a drop in the damage with krak missiles is more than made up for by the amount of horde damage you can do with a Frag missile (even with the errata stats youch) and with dodging enemies anything with multiple hits (Autocannon, Heavy bolters) is going to make up a lot more damage against anything that can be wounded at all.

#12 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

"So yes, it's an astonishingly dangerous gun, but certainly not the kind've thing you'd want to bring to every engagement. Lascannons don't mean much when there's 200 Orks charging your position.

BYE"

Unless your game's Blood Angel goes in to the Black Rage, then pass it to him and watch the greenskins go flying (because he's using it as a club).

#13 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

While I agree with most of these comments (i.e. Lascannons are not 'overpowered' because they suck against Hordes- the most common type of oppenent in DW), I do have one quibble: Multi-Meltas seem kind of underpowered in compairason (sp?). MMs, in 40K lore, are supposed to be the ultimate in man-portable tankbusting (albeit precariously short-ranged), but, even with their higher AP, they lag behing Lascannons at tankbusting in DW

#14 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Adeptus-B said:

… I do have one quibble: Multi-Meltas seem kind of underpowered in compairason (sp?)…

Yes they do.

#15 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

6 shots per power pack, if I was to tote around such a weapon I'd go the whole hog and get the 100 shot backpack energy store. We have two Salamanders in one of our kill teams, both use heavy flamers with backpack fuel storage for 75 shots, unless you plan on using a jump pack its the way to go.

#16 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Tacitus05 said:

Anything in Deathwatch that is one shot, has a hard time getting through Fields of any variety. So if you are going against a tank or something that has armor, its great, but going against something with a 50% chance per hit of nothing? I would stick to the Heavy Bolter. In my group we run with a devastator with Heavy Bolter, as it is great against hordes and can take out most light vehicles and big baddies.They might save one..two..maybe three, but six hits? We also carry a Missile Launcher, with both frag and krak. Good for Hordes, good for light armor.

Unless I am misreading the rules, there is no difference here. Fields block ATTACKS, not HITS. A field will block all of a heavy bolter burst, or none of it

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS