Weyland Corp deck, Opinons and advice appreciated

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Here is my Weyland Corp deck that I made from my available card pool. Right now I only have the Core set and Trace Amount expansion. Within the upcoming week I will have a 2nd Core set and Cyber Exodus so let me know if you think any cards will help feel free to make the recommendations.

WEYLAND CORP

AGENDAS

3 Priority Requisition

3 Executive Retreat

3 Hostile Takeover

ICE**************************

3 Ice Wall

3 Shadow

2 Hunter

2 Hadrian's Wall

2 Archer

2 Heimdall 1.0

2 Tollbooth

3 Data Raven

UPGRADES*************************

2 Amazon Industrial Zone

Research Station

ASSETS

Ghost Branch

3 Pad Campaign

Secruity Subcontract

Melange Mining Core

OPERATIONS

3 Hedge Fund

3 Beanstalk Royalties

2 Scorched Earth

2 Shipment from Kaguya

2 Power Grid Overload

there it is, let me know what you all think.

#2 nemomeme

nemomeme

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am running a vaguely similar deck that I am constantly tweaking in preparation for regionals. I think you will quickly find that Project Atlas is the best thing about Weyland right now and will want to make room for those if you can get them. If you have a competitive nature, I would concentrate on another corp faction until you can get What Lies Ahead expansion for your Project Atlases and Caduceuses. 

I do not think much of Shipment from Kaguya and have not tried Amazon Industrial Zone.

Research Station is not a great card in this deck and is quickly trashed the first time the runner gets into HQ. You might mess around with Research Station if you were playing 3 Melange Mining Corps.

In my local meta Power Grid Overload is unnecessary, because Plascrete Carapace is not played; it is far too narrow and is a wasted draw against most decks. Do you find that a lot of people are playing them? I might strip them out in favor of a couple more ice.

Project Atlas makes splashing a single Sea Source and a Snare or two a viable option, which is what my deck does. 

I have one or two Priority Requisitions in my deck, but Emergency Shutdown is moving the whole game to cheaper ice so you may want to drop one or two of your Hadrian's Walls and/or Heimdall 1.0s in favor of cheaper ice unless your opponents don't have or aren't using ES for some reason. My Priority Requisitions are mostly for the three Archers, a totally devestating piece of ice.

Enjoy your Weyland deck. (Go green!)  complice

#3 Tzeechel

Tzeechel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Here is what I can gather from a few minutes of deconstructing your deck.

You have 16 ice, 11 of which are ETR but only 3 of those can be rezzed reliably as early game defense. You do have the economy to support your more expensive ice, but that may become a war of attrition with runners using criminal sabotage events to destroy or circumvent them. I would
suggest trying Enigma, Wall of Static, and/or Viktor to help keep the runner out more easily by being able to rez multiple ice in a turn.

You also have 9 cards that you can give the runner tags but you only have 4 cards (2 of each) that capitalize on that. Weyland has some of the best card synergies for flatlining the runner on the corp turn with Posted Bounty, Aggressive Negotiations, Scorched Earth, private security force. 
(Score a posted bounty on your turn, force the runner to take a tag, use aggressive negotiations to pull scorched earth and then play to kill/maim)

It looks like your deck is trying to complete two different objectives (Big Ice For/high economy and Tag&Bag). I would chose one of those objectives and focus heavily on that with a secondary strategy incorporated but not taking away from the priority (like Big Ice Fort that utilizes shadow/hunter to tag and scorched earth as an Plan B/opportunity kill)

#4 Silent Requiem

Silent Requiem

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Darkjawa said:

Here is my Weyland Corp deck that I made from my available card pool. Right now I only have the Core set and Trace Amount expansion. Within the upcoming week I will have a 2nd Core set and Cyber Exodus so let me know if you think any cards will help feel free to make the recommendations.

WEYLAND CORP

AGENDAS

3 Priority Requisition

3 Executive Retreat

3 Hostile Takeover

ICE**************************

3 Ice Wall

3 Shadow

2 Hunter

2 Hadrian's Wall

2 Archer

2 Heimdall 1.0

2 Tollbooth

3 Data Raven

UPGRADES*************************

2 Amazon Industrial Zone

Research Station

ASSETS

Ghost Branch

3 Pad Campaign

Secruity Subcontract

Melange Mining Core

OPERATIONS

3 Hedge Fund

3 Beanstalk Royalties

2 Scorched Earth

2 Shipment from Kaguya

2 Power Grid Overload

there it is, let me know what you all think.

First impressions:

1) Project Atlas is the best agenda in the game right now. Running fewer than three in Weyland is a mistake.

2) You have 19 pieces of ICE, which is reasonable, but is a little lighter than I like to run. I don't understand all your "two of" ICE, though. With something like ICE, I either want to draw it consistently, or I don't include it. Remember that by the late game you are probably throwing away a lot of the ICE you draw anyway. The numbers are all about how quickly you find particular pieces. Think hard about what you are really hoping to draw and maximise that (subject to influence).

3) Research Station is currently bad. It will probably remain bad for a long time, since the runner can trash it very easily on a run they probably want to make any way.

4) One Malenge is a waste. You can't reliably find it, and your only copy may well get trashed before you can play it. Drop this for something else (such as a second Security Subcontract, which combos well with Amazon Industrial Zone, and is harder to trash.

5) Shipment from Kaguya only really fits in decks designed to abuse advancement. This is not one of those decks.

6) I don't like Power Grid Overload. Or the single Ghost Branch.

Overall, I think your deck lacks focus. It really has that "thrown together" feel that loads of singletons and doubles tends to indicate. What you want is a more specific plan which your deck is optimised to hit. Because you are going in so many directions at once, it's hard to offer you advice, because focusing more on direction A means dropping direction B, C and D, and ultimately only you can decide what you want to focus on.

Here's an example, off the top of my head. Suppose I want to focus on high trash assets that provide me with a steady income (or break the runner's bank trying to stop me - obvious weakness to Wizzard is obvious, but probably safe). I'd start this deck with three Amazon Industrial Zone and three Security Subcontract, as well as my agendas. I'd then find 20 ICE from Weyland or Neutral factions, and throw in the standard economy cards (with PAD being chosen over Melange). Note that I've not spent any influence at this point, and already have a rough deck.

I would then look to see how influence could improve this deck. One obvious card is the Jenteki Sysop who reduces res costs, as this fits with the rest of my engine. Of course, Adonis also fits the high trash passive income model. I probably don't care too much about OOF ICE, but perhaps a Rototurret or the like would help keep the Runner honest. Another option would be SanSan, which fits with the high trash asset theme, and gives you a fast advance option once you have your economy up and running.

From there, playtesting sanity checks my ICE choices and influence spending. I might find that I already have enough income that I don't need Adonis, and that SanSan really helps against Big Rig Shaper in the late game. Or I might find that three Hostile Takeover are not enough to properly support Archer, and so I throw in some more Posted Bounty.

This looks nothing like what I actually play, of course, but it's not too far from what you posted, only far more optimised for one particular line of attack.

#5 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ok guys. first off, thanks for the advice. I decided to drop the Tag n Bag theme. I don't think Weyland does that as well as other Corps. So after I got the other expansion packs, this is the latest version of the deck.

AGENDAS

3 Hostile Takeover

3 Priority Requisition

3 Project Atlas

1 Executive Retreat

ICE

2 Archer

2 Hadrian's Wall

3 Ice Wall

2 Heimdall 1.0

3 Caduceus

3 Shadow

3 Enigma

2 Shipments Fom Kaguya

2 Snare! may swap these out for 2 Anyonymous Tip for draw power

3 Pad Campaign

3 Adonis Campaign

2 Commercialization

3 Hedge Fund

3 Beanstalk Royalty

3 Private Contracts

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS