#1 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

FAQ :

“After you refresh” effects should be initiated after the
completion of step 3 of the refresh phase."

looking at the phase reference looks like step 3 is replacing your objectives. step 4 is player actions : so is "after refresh"  actions happening in step 4 or is there now a step between step 3 and 4?

Tie Attack Squadron

"during any engagement  in which you have placed at least 1 fate card in your edge stack, this unit gains…."

1.  does the tie need to be in the battle to get the bonus?  (it says ANY engagement)

2.  does the bonus ever fade (targeted strike for good?)? does the bonus continue to stack… so each battle you play a fate card it gains a blast icon?

( i assmue cards like trooper assault stack why shouldnt this)

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Rogue 3 said:

FAQ :

looking at the phase reference looks like step 3 is replacing your objectives. step 4 is player actions : so is "after refresh"  actions happening in step 4 or is there now a step between step 3 and 4?

Tie Attack Squadron

"during any engagement  in which you have placed at least 1 fate card in your edge stack, this unit gains…."

1.  does the tie need to be in the battle to get the bonus?  (it says ANY engagement)

2.  does the bonus ever fade (targeted strike for good?)? does the bonus continue to stack… so each battle you play a fate card it gains a blast icon?

I'm pretty sure "after you refresh" actions are happening before the action window, but the current cards that have an "after you refresh" reaction have been changed to "after your refresh phase."

I interpret TIE Attack Squadron's statement of "During any engagement" to mean that he only gains the bonus during the engagement. I can see how you could read it another way, but I'm pretty sure it only lasts for the engagement and only if TIE Attack Squadron is in the engagement.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Budgernaut said:

I'm pretty sure "after you refresh" actions are happening before the action window, but the current cards that have an "after you refresh" reaction have been changed to "after your refresh phase."

Sorry but where and when was this change made.  I took the quote directly from the current FAQ and didnt see the change in text you refer to outside of the 2 cards that were specifically changed. This does not mean any other cards were changes, only fleeing the empire and fleet command center.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Those are the cards he was talking about as they are the only current cards with after your refresh ends actions.  

EDITED to fix typo caused by typing a reply on an iPod at 1 AM

#5 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Toqtamish said:

Those are the cards he was talking about as they are the only current cards with after you refresh actions.  

OH really….

what about questionable contacts?

what about mobilize the sqaudrons?

what about last minute rescue?

etc etc etc

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

There is not a step between step 3 and step 4. The rules change just changed at what point reactions to "after you refresh" could be initiated.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Rogue 3 said:

Toqtamish said:

Those are the cards he was talking about as they are the only current cards with after you refresh actions.  

OH really….

etc etc etc

Rogue 3 said:

Toqtamish said:

Those are the cards he was talking about as they are the only current cards with after your refresh phase ends actions.  

OH really….

etc etc etc

None of those have after your refresh phase ends like the two cards that were changed. Those cards all take place in the updated as per FAQ:

completion of step 3 of the refresh phase.

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Rogue 3 said:

Tie Attack Squadron

1. I'm not sure that there's any rule limiting the TIE Attack Squadron's ability to engagements that it is involved in.  That said, gaining a combat icon when not involved in an engagement is not really very helpful.

2. The ability tells you how long it lasts: during the engagement.  As far as stacking it goes… currently no way to get it to stack.  If there's ever a card that lets you initiate an engagement inside of another engagement then you could potentially get it to trigger twice (depending on the wording of the theorhetical card) and it would stack in that case.  Multiple Fate cards will not trigger it multiple times as it's just a static ability that looks for "at least 1 fate card."

#9 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

dbmeboy said:

1. I'm not sure that there's any rule limiting the TIE Attack Squadron's ability to engagements that it is involved in.  That said, gaining a combat icon when not involved in an engagement is not really very helpful.

I was thinking more of using a first battle not involving the tie but using a fate card, thus giving the tie targeted strike. Then starting a second battle with a tie, that now already has targeted strike with out the need for another fate card.(or does it).

After all most other cards are very specific in there duration and length of effect. why should this card be.

Toqtamish said:

None of those have after your refresh phase ends like the two cards that were changed. Those cards all take place in the updated as per FAQ:

FYI my orginal question was:

FAQ :

So I am looking for clarification on when is step 3 and/or 4. Is there now a new step 4? Making old step 4 become step 5?

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Rogue 3 said:

dbmeboy said:

I was thinking more of using a first battle not involving the tie but using a fate card, thus giving the tie targeted strike. Then starting a second battle with a tie, that now already has targeted strike with out the need for another fate card.(or does it).

After all most other cards are very specific in there duration and length of effect. why should this card be.

Toqtamish said:

FAQ :

So I am looking for clarification on when is step 3 and/or 4. Is there now a new step 4? Making old step 4 become step 5?

Again, TIE Attack Squadron is very specific on its duration: the effect happens during the engagement in which the fate card is placed. This is a constant ability, not a reaction to the fate card. There is no step between replacing objectives and the player action window. There are also no" after you refresh " Actions. What there are are Reaction abilities that trigger after you refresh. Reactions and Interrupts happen when their triggering conditions occur and do not have a specific step.

#11 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Rogue 3 said:

dbmeboy said:

Toqtamish said:

FAQ :

Tie Attack Squadron: The definition for Targeted Strike states: "When a card with the “Targeted Strike” keyword strikes
during an engagement as an attacker…" In order to strike during an engagement it must have been declared as an attacker (or snuck in somehow after the attackers were declared). Offhand I don't know of any way for a unit outside the engagement to be able to strike - if there were, you'd still have to focus it to use the ability, which would exhaust it and make it unable to be declared in a later engagement (unless there was a way to remove the focus token before then). So, as dbmeboy said, in the situation you describe (TAS on the board but not declared as an attacker, fate card played in edge), yes, it it gains the [Unit Damage] icon and Targeted Strike, but there is no way to use it. At the end of that engagement, the ability goes away, and would not persist to the next engagement.

Refresh phase: There are no "new steps" in the refresh phase. The rules change states that “After you refresh” effects should be initiated after the
completion of step 3 of the refresh phase." This means that the cards you mention (Questionable Contacts, Mobilize the Squadrons, Last Minute Rescue) would all have their abilities resolved after step 3 (replace objectives) but before the Player Action window opens. The two errated cards, on the other hand, would not resolve until after the player action window, at the end of the phase. Why they chose to make the distinction I don't know, but the errated cards both have to do with shield placement, thus making them happen later and not subject to events that might occur in the Player Action window.

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks ziggy2000 for posting that explanation in a much easier to read way. For some reason I can't get line breaks to work on my phone.

#13 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Looks like it added a couple of line breaks in my post, I dunno why. Trying to respond to different parts of a quote sucks, as do most thing in this forum.

#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Rogue 3 said:

Toqtamish said:

OH really….

etc etc etc

You're right. I missed those other ones. I sincerely thought the two cards that were changed were the only ones with an "after you refresh" ability. My mistake.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS