Troll Slayer Lore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm very unfamiliar with Warhammer lore so I'm asking two quick questions for people who know better.

Are there female dwarf Troll Slayers?  As in, "No, it can't ever happen" or "Yes, but it is very, very rare."

Can a Troll Slayer ever redeem their honor without dying?  Obviously this could vary based on what they did to lose their honor, as some offenses are unforgivable.  But if for instance, they lost the clan's fortune, but then managed to recover it or some vast amount of wealth even greater than it ever was and return it to the clan?  Or are Slayer oaths basically just for life?  I.e. until you die which should hopefully be quite soon sonreir .

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

There can be female troll slayers, yes.  There isn't really much of a precident, except in this scenario:  http://www.fantasyfl...46&efidt=646149

As for redemption, again, there's no precident for becoming an 'un-slayer,' but I think if someone can achieve whatever goal beyond dying that may exist, I'd say why not?

jh

#3 Pedro Lunaris

Pedro Lunaris

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

To begin, I think what's most important is having fun in your game. So what works for you it's the best way to go.

The problem (to me) of imagining a redemption for a Slayer is that it kinda breaks the idea I have about dwarfs whole culture being based on what we humans would call stuborness. I would say a Slayer Oath is for life, even if the harm done is somehow healed. The thing is, wouldn't a dwarf mindset say that the honor was broken when the harm was done, and that's the real problem, not exactly the harm itself?

There is one aspect that I know in the lore that can direct a Slayer to stop looking for Glorious Death: to prevent an even greater harm, or loss of honor. Specially if it's directed to ther dwarfs or community issues. That is an argument that Felix uses with Gotrek (the most famous dwarf in the lore) a lot of times. It is also the way dwarfs went to make possible for the existence of a Slayer King: the saw the necessity for it, and so they deemed appropriate for the King to stop looking for his Glorious Death so he could take care of his people. He never stopped being a Slayer, and his Oath was still on. Actually, as the first Slayer King died someway, his Oath passed to his son, that he should look for Glorious Death to ammend the sins of his father. I think that was how it went. Anyone has more details about it?

#4 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yes, there can be female slayers.

No, there is no other way a slayer can redeem himself other than through death. The nature of the oath means that even if he found some other way to atone for his crime his failure to fulfill the slayer oath would in turn shame him. That said, not all slayers are suicidal maniacs. The stereotypcial berserker-slayer is just that - a stereotype. There are cowardly slayers, slayers more interested in gold than honourable death, slayer who are bitter about their oath, slayers who want revenge before they die, slayers who see their oath as something they'll get around to fulfilling eventually.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS