How I explain Arkham

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Was getting a game sorted for my brother/step brothers and was explaining Arkham as there is 7 of them its this or Twilight Imperium my other games pansy out at 5 players apart from Elder sign and Talisman at 6 but anyway I digress.  I said it was like Ghostbusters you go around the city busting chops then if your rubbish you fight the marsh mellow man at the end…………

Accurate description?

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Just copying and pasting from pag 1 of the rules:

"The year is 1926, and it is the height of the Roaring Twenties. Flappers dance till dawn in smoke-filled speakeasies drinking alcohol supplied by rum runners and the mob. It’s a celebration to end all celebrations in the aftermath of the War to end all Wars. Yet a dark shadow grows in the city of Arkham. Alien entities known as Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the gates between worlds. These gates have begun to open and must be closed before the Ancient Ones make our world their ruined dominion. Only a handful of investigators stand against the Arkham Horror. Will they prevail?

In Arkham Horror, the investigators explore the city, encountering places, people, and creatures both normal and mundane. Through these adventures, the investigators hope to gain the clues and resources needed to confront and ultimately thwart the mythos threat. Early in the game, investigators seek to avoid more powerful monsters while moving around the city to gather weapons, spells, clues, and other items they will need. Later, the investigators attempt to close a few gates and seal some of the most active gates. Finally, once several gates have been sealed and the investigators have acquired valuable weapons, spells, clues, and allies, they make one last, desperate assault on the mythos, attempting to close or seal the final gates. Either they succeed and the world survives, or they fail and the Ancient One awakens for the climactic battle. Be warned: If the Ancient One awakens, the investigators are in for the fight of their lives!"

Generally speaking, all FFG rulebooks (available for free download fom this very site) begin with a short presentation of the game and the theme; so, in case of doubts, the easiest thing is downloading the rulebook, and start reading :-) Probably it's the best description you can find around.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I was noting something in a sentance or two!

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#4 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Lilikin said:

I said it was like Ghostbusters you go around the city busting chops then if your rubbish you fight the marsh mellow man at the end…………Accurate description?

No, but if it helps you get players…

#5 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Lilikin said:

Accurate description?

I've always said (since 2006) that Ghostbusters is the best contemporary simulation of an Arkham Horror game: distinct Investigators, Great Old One, Allies, Monsters, a couple of minor Heralds, increased activityall over the city, bad Rumor failure (Shutting off the Grid), Arrested, Final Battle (seems like the dice fell pretty closely on that last roll).

What was that noise?

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

The Ghostusters description you laid out is a really good one. I might use it from now on! I've always just said, "It's like that show, Supernatural, except, you know, good."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS