Photo

Regionals Scheduled, but no Official OP Rules?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Is anyone else concerned that, as far as I can tell, we are headed into the first regionals season for this game without official tournament guidelines released? Or do we think FFG is going to send those out with the game night/regionals kits?

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

stormwolf27 said:

Is anyone else concerned that, as far as I can tell, we are headed into the first regionals season for this game without official tournament guidelines released? Or do we think FFG is going to send those out with the game night/regionals kits?

Yes, especially since my group is trying to get a game night kit and have a league night.  I think the biggest issue is incomplete game scoring.

#3 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

For those of you that have played through a regional season before, is there a chance more regionals will be added later? 

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#4 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Holliday88 said:

For those of you that have played through a regional season before, is there a chance more regionals will be added later? 

Considering the date, and the deadline for places to put in applications was 1/31/13… I doubt it.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#5 Venryk

Venryk

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I am very confident that we will have tournament rules by the time the first regional hits. I bnelieve I read somewhere that Nate French said the tourney rules will be up when FAQ 1.1 hits.

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

Venryk1 said:

I am very confident that we will have tournament rules by the time the first regional hits. I bnelieve I read somewhere that Nate French said the tourney rules will be up when FAQ 1.1 hits.

He indicated as much to me when answering a rules question.

#7 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

So how about this idea for scoring:

each match is played so that each person plays both light and dark.  You have 25 min per side 50 min per match.  Incomplete games are scored differently depending on sides.  The dark side gets total damage done to objectives (including full value of destroyed objectives), and the number on the Death Star dial.  Light side gets damage on objectives (same as ds) plus 12 minus the number on the dial.  Since the dial turns out to be a wash and thus punishes a defensive dark side player my other idea is the ls gets a bonus 4 points for each destroyed objective.   Thus the ds player gets credit for the dial and the ls player gets credit for his conditions, both with a 12 point potential.

So for league or tourney standings you get 1 pt for each win and a bonus point for a sweep.  So in one match you either end up with three, one or zero.

comments are welcome, especially from other math nerds.

#8 Niranth

Niranth

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

flightmaster101 said:

So how about this idea for scoring:

each match is played so that each person plays both light and dark.  You have 25 min per side 50 min per match.  Incomplete games are scored differently depending on sides.  The dark side gets total damage done to objectives (including full value of destroyed objectives), and the number on the Death Star dial.  Light side gets damage on objectives (same as ds) plus 12 minus the number on the dial.  Since the dial turns out to be a wash and thus punishes a defensive dark side player my other idea is the ls gets a bonus 4 points for each destroyed objective.   Thus the ds player gets credit for the dial and the ls player gets credit for his conditions, both with a 12 point potential.

So for league or tourney standings you get 1 pt for each win and a bonus point for a sweep.  So in one match you either end up with three, one or zero.

comments are welcome, especially from other math nerds.

My thoughts:

First Level -  Match Win 3, Match Draw 1 and Match Loss 0

Secondary - Your DS Dial score +(DS Objectives You Captured *4)

Tirtiary - Strength of Schedule

On a match that times out, DS Dial 5-8=one objective, 9-11=2 objectives.

#9 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I was working out some rules as well. Will post them later on. Thanks for starting the thread.

Welcome to the machine!

#10 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT an official guide.

I have finished creating the tournament guide I will be using this weekend and until something official comes from FFG. Please post your comments; as this guide was generated from the Android: Netrunner tournament guide, thoughts already posted, and some of my own thoughts.

Hope this is helpful to people who want to get leagues or organized play started; enjoy!

*EDIT - For anyone who just tried to access the file, the link did not work. Please try again.

Welcome to the machine!

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

Tournament rules would be nice. I just played in my first tournament on Saturday (and I mean first ever, not just SW:TCG). We only had four people show up. I won both games in the first round and so did my second opponent. But when we faced each other, we each won as the LS but lost as the DS. The losers played off and also ended up with one win each, so whether you include prestige or not, we both tied.

I can't wait to see how they deal with tie-breakers. As has been pointed out repeatedly, scoring points for death star dial and damage to objectives completely changes how you play the game, so I really don't think those methods are optimal.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Scoring in a tournament is pretty tricky in SWLCG I think.

Let's assume that the "force points" are only ever used for tiebreakers. 

Let's also assume that the Ds gets points in some fashion connected to the DSdial (as their victory objective is tied to it) and that the LS gets points from destroying objectives. 

The first problem seems to be that the DS can get "odd" points and the LS cannot. Perhaps this can be solved by giving the ds 1 point per 2 steps on the dsdial, which means that he has to survive until at least turn 2 to get one point, and gets a maximum of six points if the dsdial reaches 12. 

The light side then would get two points per objective destroyed, netting them six points on a win, just like the DS. 

I'm not sure why you would include alternate means, such as the "the light side gets three points, minus one for each objective destroyed by the ds player". First off such a rule would invalidate certain ds playstyles (Sith force control springs to mind) and it would also create problems with the maximum points pool for the sides and so on. The DS already has incentives to attack objectives, seeing as they gain points from the dsdial, which destroying objectives advances. Also, the faster that dial advances, the less time the LS player will have to destroy objectives and get points. 

It seems most reasonable to give each side equal opportunity to get the same amount of points. It should be relatively rare to see a side get no points at all, even if the Ds player gets to 12 the ls player will have destroyed an objective or two and even if the LS player wins by destroying his three obj the ds player will have points from the dsdial having advanced during the game.

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, I dont think there should be an extra point for one side in a draw, or for winning both matches. Why not simply keep it at one point per match win?

#13 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Wait, so card sleeves are an official thing?  So not only am I expected to have spent $80 for two core sets to build a competitive deck, and pay whatever entry fee to get into the tournament, but I have to shell out for card sleeves too?

#14 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Do note that the ones put up there isnt official. Even if they have rules like that in the big official tournament you can get sleeves (that arent ffg's own) for a pittance. Literally the price of a small cheeseburger. :)

#15 Niranth

Niranth

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

AshesFall said:

Edit: Also, I dont think there should be an extra point for one side in a draw, or for winning both matches. Why not simply keep it at one point per match win?

This is for paring in Swiss Tournaments.  A draw should not carry the same weight as a loss.

#16 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

DailyRich said:

Wait, so card sleeves are an official thing?  So not only am I expected to have spent $80 for two core sets to build a competitive deck, and pay whatever entry fee to get into the tournament, but I have to shell out for card sleeves too?

typically yes, to avoid marking issues I assume.  FFG requires opaque-backed sleeves in AGoT tournaments, so I assume SWLCG will be the same.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#17 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Niranth said:

AshesFall said:

This is for paring in Swiss Tournaments.  A draw should not carry the same weight as a loss.

Niranth said:

AshesFall said:

Hm. I'm feeling a bit stupid, because I dont quite get it :P

I mean, if you get one point per win, there are three possible outcomes. 1-1, 2-0, 0-2. In either case a draw (when you and your opponent win one each) isnt valued the same as a loss (when you loose both, getting 0 points). 

Please explain if possible? Not trolling here, I just dont understand. 

#18 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have created a Tourney guide derived from the Android: Netrunner guide. It allows for a total of 3 Match points per round.

Welcome to the machine!

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Vaapad said:

DailyRich said:

typically yes, to avoid marking issues I assume.  FFG requires opaque-backed sleeves in AGoT tournaments, so I assume SWLCG will be the same.

The Android: Netrunner rules do say that sleeves are necessary for regional and national events, but it doesn't mention anything about opaque sleeves.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#20 Shikaku

Shikaku

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

You could run the the same way Decipher ran their tournaments:

Players are split into two random groups before round 1 is paired and each group is assigned a side of the force.

Players are paired up.

Round 1: player plays one side of the force

Sides are ordered top to bottom winners to losers (taking into account secondary scores - see below), and paired off with winners playing winners from the opposite group.

Round 2: player plays the opposite side than the one he played in Round 1.

Everyone is ranked best to worst scores (taking into account secondary scores - see below) and split into two groups (1 goes to G1, 2 goes to group 2, 3 goes to group 1, etc) and one is randomly assigned a side of the force.

Round 3: player plays one side

Sides are ordered top to bottom winners to losers, and paired off with winners playing winners from the opposite group.

Round 4: player plays the opposite than the one he played in round 3.

rinse and repeat for however many even number of rounds you need based on ratio of player turnout to Swiss pairing

Because this is a very fast game rounds could be 30 min, where 1 game played.

Players get 2pts for a Full Win, 1 for a Timed Win, 0 for a loss. Additionally the players get a secondary score based on the number of cards left in the winning players command deck. Winner adds that number to their secondary score, the loser subtracts that number. This way the most efficient winners rise to the top of the standings.

Cut to top whatever and play turns into match play where both players will play1 game with both sides of the force. Winner of the match is the player with the most wins, or in the case of a tie (1-1) the player with the higher secondary score.

The only drawback to the secondary score the way it would be applied to this game is that there is no max objective limit so command decks could vary in size which could be dealt with by simply saying if the winning player is playing more than 10 objectives subtract X from the command deck score where X=(Total # of objectives - 10)x5.

It seems complex but it is actually quite simple once you get used to it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS