To Focus or Not To Focus…

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dj9091

dj9091

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd like a little help on interpretation of process. Let's say a player in the conflict phase chooses an objective and commits two attackers, one of those having been a character unit committed to the force.  In the player action window, the attacking player passes but the defending player (Light Side) plays "Jedi Mind Trick" and places a focus token on the attacking character unit committed to the force (exhausting the unit from engagement).

Next, the defending units are declared, actions passed, edge battle played and attack commences.  Which of the following happens to the character unit committed to the force:

1.  The character unit committed to the force is exhausted and doesn't get to attack. That is all.

2. The character unit committed to the force is exhausted and doesn't get to attack, BUT since this unit was committed to attack AND committed to the force, receives two additional focus tokens even though the unit did not get to engage.

I'm thinking option "2" is the correct answer because the rule for exhausted cards only directs that the card cannot "execute its duties" AND the conflict phase requires all cards committed to engage be focused out appropriately.

Thoughts?

DJ

#2 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

A unit only gets focus tokens when it strikes, not when it is declared as an attacker.  Since your opponent used an effect to put a focus token on the Force committed unit, it can't strike.  So it only has the one focus token placed on it by the effect.

#3 dj9091

dj9091

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

So the focused character unit CANNOT strike because of its focused status…would it still have “participating” status anymore?  Can it still be attacked?  Without reading "into" the rules, I'd say yes on all because the rules don't say otherwise.  However the rules also imply a "cost for every benefit".  As such, a non-focused unit committed to attack, that can no longer do damage because of prior events, still must accept a focus token (committed to strike) and is virtually wasted.

Just curious on where (if any) cost of these moves go to.  I guess I'd really like to be able to zing my opponent with a cost of having committed attackers (even though I know this won't be the case because of the non-strike).

Thanks!

DJ

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Your number 1 is correct:  since he's exausted, he doesn't focus to strike, which means (a) he doesn't strike, and (b) doesn't get the additional focus token due to being committed.

It is still participating, and can be affected by anything that affects participating stuff, including unit damage, card text, etc.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

radiskull said:

Your number 1 is correct:  since he's exausted, he doesn't focus to strike, which means (a) he doesn't strike, and (b) doesn't get the additional focus token due to being committed.

It is still participating, and can be affected by anything that affects participating stuff, including unit damage, card text, etc.

Agree with this.  Also note that if the Jedi Mind Trick had instead been played at some point before attackers were declared then the card would not have been able to declare as an attacker at all.

#6 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

dbmeboy said:

Agree with this.  Also note that if the Jedi Mind Trick had instead been played at some point before attackers were declared then the card would not have been able to declare as an attacker at all.

Following to the answer above I have a question (disregard the "Jedi Mind Trick"):

Let's say I have a Unit with Force Commit attached to it thus having 2 focus tokens on it (from previous conflict). During a refresh, only one of two focus tokens can be removed from this Unit  (by the rule), So this also mean that this Unit can't be declared as an Attacker/Defender as long as there is a focus token placed on it due to exhaustion .. is it correct? 

#7 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Luminous Quasar said:

dbmeboy said:

Following to the answer above I have a question (disregard the "Jedi Mind Trick"):

Let's say I have a Unit with Force Commit attached to it thus having 2 focus tokens on it (from previous conflict). During a refresh, only one of two focus tokens can be removed from this Unit  (by the rule), So this also mean that this Unit can't be declared as an Attacker/Defender as long as there is a focus token placed on it due to exhaustion .. is it correct? 

That is correct. They also won't contribute their icons to your total for the force struggle, and can't perform or pay for any actions that require you to focus the unit.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#8 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

stormwolf27 said:

Luminous Quasar said:

dbmeboy said:

That is correct. They also won't contribute their icons to your total for the force struggle, and can't perform or pay for any actions that require you to focus the unit.

Thanks stormwolf27 .. :) 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS