Photo

A LS Event card to set back the Death Star dial … what say you? .. (just a thought)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to have a LS card that can fire up an event to set the Death Star dial back by one or two points?

Any thoughts of this kind of card?  

#2 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I think it would need to be a fairly expensive card - if they ever made it at all. Something like that would probably shift the meta significantly, and if it cannot be stopped, could be very bad.

Welcome to the machine!

#3 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps the DS would have something to balance it but I agree .. it would be pretty expensive .. 

#4 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

I think that it has too much potential to be spammed or exploited. For instance, the first time the DS takes a LS objective, the Death Star dial goes up by one. So, this event essentially negates the DS's having comitted sufficient force to destroy an objective, perhaps 2-3 units, some fates cards, whatever. The Death Star dial value of taking a LS objective increases linearly as you take a 2nd, 3rd, etc., objective. So, turning the Death Star dial back by 1 has a different value depending on the context in which you are considering it as having been done. 

If I was DS, and commited 2-3 units to an engagement in order to take an objective, seeing the Death Star dial go up by one, only to see the LS spend very little resources to negate that advancement would be irritating. However, if, for instance, I had just taken a 3rd objective, raising it by 3, seeing it decrease by one would be less annoying. 

If people found ways to make the Death Star dial reducing event card reliably recursive, it would potentially imbalance the game (no pun intended) and significantly alter the experience. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#5 RendTheHeavens

RendTheHeavens

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

What if, instead of just setting it back a few points, there was some sort of mechanic that would cause it to not go up by default each turn? it would be a strong advantage to the LS, but the DS could still get around it by having the force card in their favor, or having won objectives.

#6 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm happy with the pace of the game as it is. LS should be about knocking out objectives quickly, not about slowing the Death Star dial down.

#7 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

i was think oh a card for the light side that played something like.

Preparing the fleet

4 cost

3 force icons

reaction: after your (enter phase between balance and deploy here) phase play this card. your turn is over. Till your next balance phase DS may not move the ds dial and you may not target any ds objective

I am thinking of either using after balance phase which is weakest version or after deploy phase which would be strongest.

what ya think?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS