Freebooterz an der Clanz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Freebooterz an der Clanz…when an Ork leaves Ork society to become a freebooter the books indicate they might leave their clan behind in some of the fluff and. I've been running our game like clan is more instinctual and genetic. So a freebooter leaves their tribe and Ork society when going freebooter but not clan. I don't remember freebooterz from when I played tabletop… Wondering what's cannon and how are you guys running it. 

#2 Inquisitor Quidam

Inquisitor Quidam

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

An Ork's klan is genetic, (e.g. Badmoon teef grow faster than the orks of other klans) in a similar way to how the knowledge to use weapons or build a trukk is genetic to them. However some orks 'leave' their klan to become freebootas. They still have the genetic information in them but they choose not to associate with their klan characteristics as much. Freebootas traditionally wear white rather than a klan colour. A freeboota is essentially a mercenary with no klan ties - they will happily work for any klan, or in some cases, non-orks.

I imagine that an ork will display his klan characteristics more promenantly when around other members of his klan. For an ork working on a rogue trader vessel his klan probably has little meaning to him as there are few other orks to differentiate from or associate with.

#3 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

An ork who has become a freeboota is the same as a feudal japanese samurai who has become ronin - he is simply an outcast from his existing position within society, often shunned for it.

With orks it is only slightly different in that they choose to become freebooterz but its the same end effect - they keep all their existing training and dispositions but are no mercenaries for hire or just for the enjoyment of it.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#4 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Its a disposition like any other.

Stormboyz have a thing for going regimental, practicing drills, and all sorts of somewhat un-orky things.

Speed Freaks would rather be shooting things with their vehicle-mounted guns than run across the field all slowly to try and choppa something.

The Freebootaz appreciate the accumulation of stuff and going across the stars to get it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS