Old Decipher CCG VS New Fantasy Flight LCG

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Muad Dib

Muad Dib

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Overall- on many of levels i'm enjoying the new LCG game more than the Decipher CCG: 

Battling is encourgaged- your opponent can't constantly run away from you.

Decks can be constructed quickly.

The cards are more balanced. Introducing the objective cards- makes you play with cards you may not have.

And the big one…price.

I invested alot in the Decipher game. I probably have enough extra cards to wallpaper a room with.

I remember back in the 90s.. when i used to complain on the Decipher message boards about buying several booster boxes to complete the sets.

It was a huge waste to spend money on extra cards that you weren't going to use.

I remember suggesting fixed packs so you only had to purchase them once.

People argued against the idea because they said they liked 'opening packs to see what they got'.

Granted, there was a certain excitment when you pullled a rare Vader, but it was equally depressing when you pulled a rare that you didn't want or need.

Well, we know what happened to Decipher.

So hats off to the people at Fantasy Flight that realized change was needed!

#2 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I agree with you, I love the fixed distribution. I really hated getting some crappy effect or a no name chud as a rare. So much so that around Cloud City, I stopped buying boxes and instead I bought a complete sets online.

However, I wish this game had just a little bit more of the built in cinematic quality that the old CCG had. With the locations you could almost see the action happening. This game takes a bit more imagination when you have Red 5 vs a Rancor (to borrow from another board.) I mean, it's there, you just have to…imagine harder to get there.

I love that it's quicker pace and encourages battles. I'm still not crazy about the edge battle yet, but I can get used to it. I just like having a Star Wars card game to play again!

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#3 Shikaku

Shikaku

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Having played the Decipher Star Wars CCG from the beginning, and as a tournament director for that game, I will always have a soft spot for that game. 

It is, and will continue to be, the best game I've ever played. However since the license was lost, and the players committee has taken over, it has gone downhill in my opinion; through little fault of their own.

Now we have a new, vibrant, exciting Star Wars game that I enjoy quite a bit; and plan to play for as long as FFG makes product for it.

That being said, the LCG product will run into some of the similar problems the CCG product had.

Eventually the cardpool for the LCG will reach a critical mass in which drawing in new players will become difficult, it was a problems the CCG had around the time that they were forced to develop Special Edition and introduce new card types (objectives) to draw in new players and provide them with an easier jumping in point.

Thankfully we are several years away from that ever having to happen here with this game.

In this game you're trading the edge battle for destiny draws in combat for the CCG.

But in the and both mechanics give the skilled player the advantage. (Knowledge of pod contents in the LCG vs. the ability to track multiple destiny numbers throughout the various piles in the CCG)

From a financial standpoint, the LCG model is far superior to the randomness of booster pack treasure hunting.

All in all, I am looking forward to seeing where they take this game and how it evolves.

#4 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

After playing the decipher game since 1996, I have to say it is a great game that I will play as long as there are people to play. The community that has survived is fantastic, and to me one of the reasons I still play. I am waiting to see how this community evolves and grows. The gameplay is fun, and it is exciting to see new cards!

Welcome to the machine!

#5 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I like collecting CCG cards but I like LCG better in terms of the gameplay as it has more defined rules compared to a small booklet of CCG back in those days. It also nice to see the new arts on LCG cards … they give the new feeling and it's definitely more instense .. :) 

#6 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I like collecting CCG cards but I like LCG better in terms of the gameplay as it has more defined rules compared to a small booklet of CCG back in those days. It also nice to see the new arts on LCG cards … they give the new feeling and it's definitely more instense .. :) 

* I'm not sure why it published twice. Mod please delete this one. 

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

As yet another player of both SWCCG and SWLCG, I think that they are both great games but hard to directly compare.  If I want to play a longer, more in-depth game then the Decipher games are the way to go.  If I'm wanting a shorter, but highly tactical game - it'll be the FFG game every time.  I'll probably spend more time teaching new players the LCG at this point though, it's much easier to learn and new cards coming out makes it easier to get people excited about the game.

#8 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Shikaku said:

Having played the Decipher Star Wars CCG from the beginning, and as a tournament director for that game, I will always have a soft spot for that game. 

It is, and will continue to be, the best game I've ever played. However since the license was lost, and the players committee has taken over, it has gone downhill in my opinion; through little fault of their own.

Now we have a new, vibrant, exciting Star Wars game that I enjoy quite a bit; and plan to play for as long as FFG makes product for it.

That being said, the LCG product will run into some of the similar problems the CCG product had.

Eventually the cardpool for the LCG will reach a critical mass in which drawing in new players will become difficult, it was a problems the CCG had around the time that they were forced to develop Special Edition and introduce new card types (objectives) to draw in new players and provide them with an easier jumping in point.

Thankfully we are several years away from that ever having to happen here with this game.

In this game you're trading the edge battle for destiny draws in combat for the CCG.

But in the and both mechanics give the skilled player the advantage. (Knowledge of pod contents in the LCG vs. the ability to track multiple destiny numbers throughout the various piles in the CCG)

From a financial standpoint, the LCG model is far superior to the randomness of booster pack treasure hunting.

All in all, I am looking forward to seeing where they take this game and how it evolves.

Where were you a TD? I was a squadron member in VA.

I really I loved the objectives, but you make a good point about the cardpool getting too large.. I don't know what the circumstances were that led to the loss of the SW license but it's a shame they didn't get a chance to 'reset' with a 2nd edition like the Star Trek game. 

I will have to disagree with you about the edge battle vs destiny draw, though. By using the deck, you almost always had a destiny draw. In this game, quite frequently you will go into an edge battle (usually as the defender) with no cards in hand and no way to win. Just try winning an edge battle as the Rebels! 

It's probably just because I am not crazy about the mechanic, but I liked destiny draws sooooooo much better. Hell, even if edge battle cards were put at the bottom of your deck instead of discarded that would make it better.

#9 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Just a note for those of you who enjoyed the Decipher game, when they lost the Star Wars license, they converted their game over to a generic science fiction setting and renamed it Wars.  Same exact mechanics, same rules, the cards even look the same, just no Star Wars characters.  My game store has starter decks for $4 and boosters for 99 cents, which seems pretty standard pricing from what I've seen.  So if you really liked the game and can live without the Star Wars coat of paint, it's certainly a viable option.

#10 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

DailyRich said:

Just a note for those of you who enjoyed the Decipher game, when they lost the Star Wars license, they converted their game over to a generic science fiction setting and renamed it Wars.  Same exact mechanics, same rules, the cards even look the same, just no Star Wars characters.  My game store has starter decks for $4 and boosters for 99 cents, which seems pretty standard pricing from what I've seen.  So if you really liked the game and can live without the Star Wars coat of paint, it's certainly a viable option.

I thought that game was dead too? I know they even put out a soundtrack , wrote fiction and everything for it.

#11 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

Personally, I really don't understand the love the Decipher game gets. I never got the opportunity to play, but looking over the rules and the cards I do have, the game always seemed to me to be too focused on simulating the Star Wars universe, to the point it forgot to be a game. Of course, just my two credits, and no insult meant to anyone who enjoyed the CCG.

#12 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Holliday88 said:

DailyRich said:

I thought that game was dead too? I know they even put out a soundtrack , wrote fiction and everything for it.

Oh, it is.  It's just probably a lot more easily attainable for those looking to scratch this particular itch than trying to track down the Star Wars cards.

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Holliday88 said:

DailyRich said:

It is, which is why you can buy it for so cheap.

#14 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Decipher's game is not dead, unless your definition only includes whether or not the cards are in print. There is an active community with players worldwide. A group of playtesters and proofers continue to "make" cards, though they are fewer in number and frequency than a company with paid staff. Many of us travel a few times a year to play at events, and I organize tournaments for Colorado and the region annually.

In many respects the SWCCG game does attempt to recreate the scenarios in the movies. There is a degree of anachronism - Luke can go toe to toe with Maul, or Lando can battle against General Grevious; but at least X-Wings and Rancors don't battle! reir

In other respects, however, the game falls short. For example, at the end of the Decipher era they printed and released some cards that had not thoroughly been worked through. The significant power creep it generated continuously acts as a thorn in the side of the current dev team. Also, with lots of volunteer changeover, there have been some unbalanced cards that have shifted the meta in a bad way; some of which is fixed by errata (generally to the virtual cards, not to the printed cards).

I really do enjoy the game. I have been playing since 1996 or so - with a short break during the broken / end of life era. I came back to the game in 2006 and have been playing since. The game is fun, engaging and I REALLY enjoy the community.

Welcome to the machine!

#15 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Having worked for Decipher, I loved the game and the company. I went all around the country for Decipher and it sucked that it went downhill so fast. SWCCG will always be the best card game in my opinion (second would be Anachronism by TriKing) and always referred to as "chess on steroids!"

Having said that, I love this new LCG. The way it is sold and the deck concept. Though it is slighty easier to play, it still holds a competitive vibe to it that makes you want to play more.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#16 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) will ever truly be as complete a game as the old Decipher Star Wars CCG.  No markers, beads, pads of paper, dice, or other general crap to clutter the table as their is in every other game I have played.  The mechanics are sleek and highly thematic to the Star Wars mythos… with that said, this is a new  Star Wars game… and it's very solid.

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#17 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yea… SWCCG is and forever will be the greatest card game ever made. Period.

#18 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Rogue 4 said:

Having worked for Decipher, I loved the game and the company. I went all around the country for Decipher and it sucked that it went downhill so fast. SWCCG will always be the best card game in my opinion (second would be Anachronism by TriKing) and always referred to as "chess on steroids!"

Having said that, I love this new LCG. The way it is sold and the deck concept. Though it is slighty easier to play, it still holds a competitive vibe to it that makes you want to play more.

william?

Yes as an overall game the ccg version will be tough to beat. But this version has a chance if the multiplayer (more then 2) version is kick ass.. at that point it will offer more then the ccg version ever could.

#19 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Desipher ccg

+ version is more complete, it is very cinematic, it has very interesting rules and it is more compicated, the basic rules are wery sleek and works really nice!

- The rules are so diversed because it tryes to simulate everything, so it is very complex to learn (rules for asteroids, rules for sabback, rules for…), It was really hard game to collect: No limits to the number of individual cards, super rares, ccg random distribution

FFG lcg

+ easy to learn (so far at least) (the rule book is not so great), it is fast, easy to collect due lcg format.

- too easy? Some very uncinematic situations.

I am hc-player so original has a warm spot in my heart, but this new one has more appeal to casual players.

#20 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

alot of the feelings and comments her reflect my thoughts, i will love the decipher ccg till the day i die, i till play and even still make tons of dream cards on my deviantart page. My friends and i are currently running a custom campaign rule set i created where at the end of each game you level up by swaping out cards from your deck (1 of each type) to a leveled up card, IE a tie fighter can upgrad to a tie advanced or a uniqe tie fighter, luke can upgrade to luke skywalker ect. I am enjoying the new game though without the solo play or co-op option its harder to get ppl to play as allot of my freinds dont like pvp (cuz some of us r to good lol) or they dont feel they have the time to invest in pvp  games.

I do like the collectability aspect and the fact this game will be drawing allot from the expanded universe. I really cant wait a few years from now to see if we get to go into the thrawn trilogy. Id rather see us enter the novels then go into the new movies right away. Let them come later when that area of the timeline is more complete.

I still take issue with some of the battle mechanics like having luke take on the devastator. But i have mostly moved past it and can enjoy the battles. I like that the games move faster and i love the force packs and the fixed no blind buys. I also like that they arent milking the game with foils or alternate images.

I still do NOT like the deck building mechanic of the pods. I feel its way to restrictive. But i can see how it helps my friends build decks allot faster when i bring my binders over to their houses.

I hope for more, and while i know allot of people here are anti prequel i would like to see prequel stuff happen as its own game with perhaps the same rules and compatibility the same way lord of the rings lcg has the hobbit. As for tourneys and stuff, simply have either classic, prequel or mixed. If you dont like prequel stuff dont buy lt  lol. I look at it this way, there is allot to explore in the star wars universe. Why limit outselves when we can explore every aspect. The parts we dont like we dont need to play or use. Still i would rather them focus on the EU novels more then the prequels. Like the thrawn trilogy, shadows of the empre, the yuuhzan vong ect. Theres so much awesome stuff we can get from those books.

But as for the old decipher it still is the greatest star wars card game ever. I love it and wish they would bring it back but im enjoying the new game as well. :)

"It was so artistically done."-Grand Admiral Thrawn

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS