Jump to content



Photo

Grim Reaper and City movement


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

How does the Reaper and the WW move in the City?

I guess they can't walk into a shop and land on a character if they don't move the full distance on the movement roll. The rules mentions that characters can do this, but the NPC:s are no characters so…

On the other hand, if they are not characters can they walk against the arrows? It's also mentioned that characters can not do this, but still they are not characters.



#2 Rophan

Rophan

    Member

  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

*Bump*

I had the same question.  



#3 frogemoth

frogemoth

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

* Bump *

Same question arose in our last game last week. Same question with the Werewolf also.



#4 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Nidhögg said:

How does the Reaper and the WW move in the City?

I guess they can't walk into a shop and land on a character if they don't move the full distance on the movement roll. The rules mentions that characters can do this, but the NPC:s are no characters so…

On the other hand, if they are not characters can they walk against the arrows? It's also mentioned that characters can not do this, but still they are not characters.

That's a difficult question and deserves an official clarification, but I'll try to answer according to my personal opinions.

Reaper and Werewolf always move like characters. They do not violate movement rules doing what characters cannot. They do move like characters with increased freedom (freely cross Sentinel Bridge and Tavern Ferry, choose a space in any Region when teleporting out from Treasure Chamber, and Eyrie also), but they never do "illegal moves". Moreover, they cannot enter the Inner Region by any means (Rulesheet says no Portal of Power crossing and FAQ says no teleporting; what is said for Reaper applies to Werewolf as well).

A character can move into a shop and end his movement there, therefore the Reaper and Werewolf may do the same. The NPCs may not move against the arrows, because characters cannot. Characters can't enter the Jail Space normally and the NPCs can't as well; but they can be sent to a character on the Jail space if a 5 is rolled on the Reaper or Werewolf charts.

This means that sending the Reaper or the Werewolf following another character's footstep is a good move, as the NPC may follow the character in each shop they want to visit and pose a constant threat. Unless he's lucky enough to roll a couple of 1s and make the pursuing NPC walk past him.



#5 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

Hmm, you have a point. But I'm not convinced.

About "illegal movement". If you play with the alternitive movement rules for the Dungeon where you can only walk downward towards the Treasure Chamber unless you flee, then you have to go towards the Entrance untill you are out.

With those rules it would be illegal for the Reaper to move counterclockwise unless he declared to flee, wich just seams stupid, and those hunted by him would take the opportunity to make him flee out if they rolled a 1.

So I think the NPC:s may break to movement rules in some cases, and thus far we played that they can move in any direction in the City. Which for me makes more sense. You are not supposed to be more safe in the city than anywhere else…



#6 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Nidhögg said:

Hmm, you have a point. But I'm not convinced.

About "illegal movement". If you play with the alternitive movement rules for the Dungeon where you can only walk downward towards the Treasure Chamber unless you flee, then you have to go towards the Entrance untill you are out.

With those rules it would be illegal for the Reaper to move counterclockwise unless he declared to flee, wich just seams stupid, and those hunted by him would take the opportunity to make him flee out if they rolled a 1.

So I think the NPC:s may break to movement rules in some cases, and thus far we played that they can move in any direction in the City. Which for me makes more sense. You are not supposed to be more safe in the city than anywhere else…

I must admit I've never used Fight or Flight alternative rule.

In this case, I don't think that Reaper or Werewolf have to declare anything. Moving in both directions is not illegal, just characters have to declare they are fleeing if they want to move backwards. NPCs cannot declare anything, so they should move freely (that's probably one of the reasons why they were banned from Inner Region). I don't see the parallel with the City, where characters will never move counter-clockwise.

This is a borderline discussion; nobody is right or wrong on this topic.



#7 Nioreh

Nioreh

    Member

  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

The_Warlock said:

….

This is a borderline discussion; nobody is right or wrong on this topic.

Indeed.

This question just hit me after tonight's game and Id say that death does not have to care about if it is a one way street or not, makes no sence imo so he can move in either direction. As for shops I would also play this like its played for characters, he stops when he enters so you would be extra vulnerable in the shops.

I agree that you are (definitely :) ) not safe from death in jail but I have no idea how death would move on the next turn (geting there with a 5). I think Ill house-rule this to work like Treasure Chamber or Eyrie.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS