Which expansions first

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cpt_safety

cpt_safety

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

I just found out that my "local" Barnes and Noble (30 miles) has a copy of the starter set.  I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.  Which expansions and how many would people suggest I pick up when I get the game?  I'd like to keep a balance in the games, but I also don't want to miss out on limited edition sets (Aluminum Falcon).   On the other hand, would you recommend I wait for a new edition of the rules if they're imminent (hence the shortage of starter sets).

Thanks,

Bill

#2 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

I recomended that you buy all the minis in Wave 1 & 2, because if you like a balanced game you will need all the minis in your supplies, to get more advantage in the games, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#3 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

If I were to do it all over again I'd do this, 

2 core sets

two x-wingexpansions

two tie eexpansions

one tie advanced.  

One Y-wing.

This is enough to play 100 pt games and try out lots of different things.

I'd start with 50 point games.  After you learn and know all of the rules then jump to 100pt games.

I do however tell everyone to play it safe get four of every ship for the rebels.  

For imps get at least six ties and two advanced. 

#4 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

cpt_safety said:

I just found out that my "local" Barnes and Noble (30 miles) has a copy of the starter set.  I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.  Which expansions and how many would people suggest I pick up when I get the game?  I'd like to keep a balance in the games, but I also don't want to miss out on limited edition sets (Aluminum Falcon).   On the other hand, would you recommend I wait for a new edition of the rules if they're imminent (hence the shortage of starter sets).

Thanks,

Bill

I don't think that FFG has really said for sure what's going on with the Core Sets, but most folks (including me) are assuming the current Core Set is going to be reprinted rather than making a Wave 2 Core Set. 

It really depends on what ships you want to field. If you want to field more than 1 X-Wing and more than 2 TIEs, then I'd suggest picking up a 2nd Core Set as it's cheaper than buying the ships individually via the expansion blisters (although the blisters do contain cards that are different than the cards included in the Core Set). You'll also end up with an extra set of dice which is nice, a second set of templates that's super handy if you're planning on teaching someone else how to play, another range ruler, etc. 

If you're more interested in fielding the Falcon, Slave I, A-Wings, TIE Interceptosr, TIE Advanceds, or Y-Wings, I'd suggest buying one Core Set and then purchasing whatever ship expansions you want along with an extra set of dice. 

All the ships are viable for thier points in this game, though some are more acessible or easy to use for a beginner than others (largely because of named pilots and their abilities). 

If everything seems pretty cool to you, I'd go with what Picasso said, but keep in mind, the Wave 2 stuff will likely be out in a month-ish if any of those ships might influence your opinion on what you want to push around on the table. 

To give you a ballpark idea, the Tournament Standard for points is 100. Currently (Wave 1, in other words), most Rebel players field 3 or 4 ships. Most Imperial players have anywhere from 5-8 ships. More precise info for the Rebels can be found here- 

http://home.comcast....ler/rebels.html

and here for the Imps- http://home.comcast....ml?scroll=false

Both of those links include the Wave 2 stuff. 

Hope that helps! It's a great game; have fun playing it!

#5 cpt_safety

cpt_safety

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

@Picasso - Thanks.  If there are enough core sets in stock, I'll probably pick up 2 and see what they have available for expansions.  I haven't done a points check obviously, but it looks like you might recommend that my daughter and I leave the heroes at the Cantina until we learn how to play - and then try some scenarios later.  Make sense?

#6 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

cpt_safety said:

Thanks,

Bill

What I really want is one of those limited Edition Aluminum Falcons! reir

Seriously, the only thing I'd add to Picasso's list is another Y-wing and advanced. I ended up getting three of each of those, but that's just me. Two would probably be enough for the casual player.

#7 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

I just started in DEC and so far I have two core sets and 3 of each expansion except the Y-Wing (only 2).  Additionally I have the Slave 1 that I won in the KR tournament.

Just starting out I would recomend the the 2 core sets and then 1 each of each expansion so you can learn what you like and go from there.

As mentioned above you can make a nice 100pt buld with 3 X-wings, but ties are less points so you will need a total of 5-6 (can be a combination of Advanced and regular) to field a 100 pt squad. 

In the KR tounamnet I fielded 2 tie Adv and 3 Ties to make my 100pt sq.  Had I known how the points worked I would have probably gone Rebel to save myself som $ and only needed to buy 2 expansons.

Have Fun!

#8 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

@cap,

no problem, glad I can help.

best advice I can give, play a 25 point game first. This is how I teach everyone. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS