Considering playing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Up2NoGood1976

Up2NoGood1976

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I am becoming a fan of these cards games though currently I am just getting into Warhammer Invasion.  As a kid I grew up up on Star Wars watching Episode 4 over and over on my fathers beta player.  (before VHS).  I would just like to get a few opinions on the game from actual players to see what they think.  I have been looking for an alternative to Magic and have found that somewhat in Warhammer Invasion, but I feel it wouldn't hurt to have another game that is a bit different but just as entertaining.

#2 Roman_Sandal

Roman_Sandal

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Have a look at the FFG tutorial and see what you think.

#3 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't know how this game is related to Warhammer, but I'm hooked. The four major affiliations (Sith, Jedi, Rebel Alliance, and Imperial Navy) all have their own unique play style and the mechanics of the game are fairly simple, but with plenty of room for strategic development and future card design. What we've seen of he next major expansion, which fleshes out the two minor affiliations (Smugglers and Spies and Scum and Villainy) is really exciting. If you are a Star Wars and card game fan, you can't go wrong.

#4 Whitefro

Whitefro

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I've been really impressed with both this game and the game of thrones lcg. I used to play magic but these games have completely won me over. Only problem I've really had is lack of people to play with.

#5 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'll give just a few thoughts on how it differs from magic, for the better IMO.

1) you will always begin each game with at least 4 resources (the currency, if you will, that you need to play cards) in play.  So while you'll still have to build some resources into your draw deck, you'll always be able to play some cards right out of the gates.

2) instead of drawing one card at a time per turn, during each draw phase, you draw back up to 6 (unless some card effect modifies that number).  That means you have much more control over how fast you go through your deck -- if you need to see more cards, play more between one draw phase and the next.  This adds a novel strategical aspect.

3) instead of nebulously attacking your opponent, your units will attack your opponent's objective cards (the destruction of which is important to winning the game).  Your opponent's units will defend the objective, which will lead to great clashes between familiar characters.  The battle mechanic itself is very exciting, with a unique mechanism called an "edge battle" -- a system of bidding and bluffing -- that will determine who can strike first, and how much of your units' potential strength will be a available during the battle.

All told, the game is well designed, mechanically sound, and a lot of fun to play.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

The game is a lot of fun and as a Star Wars fan you will really enjoy it and some of the card effects like Admiral Ackbar being a trap or Han shooting first. Also this is a great second LCG as the time required to build a deck due to the unique deckbuiliding mechanic is a lot less than other games like W:I. It is a fast game like W:I is as well.

#7 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Why not just buy it? It's $25-ish online, and you have nothing to lose. $25 is not a big investment…

Top Tier Gaming, a fan website dedicated to X-Wing Miniatures and Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/jmcb1001

#8 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Whitefro said:

I've been really impressed with both this game and the game of thrones lcg. I used to play magic but these games have completely won me over. Only problem I've really had is lack of people to play with.

Hope you can make it to Enchanted Grounds on the 23rd of Feb for some live SW LCG action!

OP - this game is a lot of fun. Your $25 online is a great investment in a great game.

Welcome to the machine!

#9 Whitefro

Whitefro

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Oh, I hadn't heard that anything was going down, I'll definately try to make it over there.

#10 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Whitefro said:

This is the major problem. I switched to FFG's LCGs from MTG a long time ago (5+ years), and the only frustration is the lack of steady competitive play. It is pretty easy, if you live near a major city, to find a local FNM with 20-40 players weekly. You only get LCG stuff like that at Regionals, Worlds, etc. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion

A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

divinityofnumber said:

Whitefro said:

This is the major problem. I switched to FFG's LCGs from MTG a long time ago (5+ years), and the only frustration is the lack of steady competitive play. It is pretty easy, if you live near a major city, to find a local FNM with 20-40 players weekly. You only get LCG stuff like that at Regionals, Worlds, etc. 

It is really pretty easy to organize something like that on your own. Talk to your local store and order some game night kits and pick a night and show up and play every week. When we have all gotten together down in Halifax we have rivaled FNM and beaten the local FNM by a few people in the town I live in. 

#12 Whitefro

Whitefro

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Toqtamish said:

It is really pretty easy to organize something like that on your own. Talk to your local store and order some game night kits and pick a night and show up and play every week. When we have all gotten together down in Halifax we have rivaled FNM and beaten the local FNM by a few people in the town I live in. 

That's just the problem. I've tried several different stores and no one ever shows up. If it were just a problem of someone organizing it I wouldn't complain, but I just can't find people to play.

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Whitefro said:

Toqtamish said:

That's just the problem. I've tried several different stores and no one ever shows up. If it were just a problem of someone organizing it I wouldn't complain, but I just can't find people to play.

Have you tried board game geek and Facebook ? I got our group connected via Facebook after contacting some people via email and BGG. 

#14 Whitefro

Whitefro

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Toqtamish said:

Have you tried board game geek and Facebook ? I got our group connected via Facebook after contacting some people via email and BGG. 

I'm working on it, I know there are some guys down in the Springs that are trying to get some things going, just not sure I can really justify the drive. I found someone via facebook, but haven't heard back. The frustrating thing is, two of the better stores in my area there event calender basically has a mtg event every other day, if not more. And a lot of the smaller stores end up following suit just trying to keep up. I'm not going to give up, it just as with most things in life, its not much fun if you don't find someone to do it with.

#15 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

Whitefro said:

Toqtamish said:

I'm working on it, I know there are some guys down in the Springs that are trying to get some things going, just not sure I can really justify the drive. I found someone via facebook, but haven't heard back. The frustrating thing is, two of the better stores in my area there event calender basically has a mtg event every other day, if not more. And a lot of the smaller stores end up following suit just trying to keep up. I'm not going to give up, it just as with most things in life, its not much fun if you don't find someone to do it with.

You should go during MTG night with a friend and play. Help if people see the game being played to get them interested too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS