Photo

Would it be wrong to show a little love for the double-barreled shotgun?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

The basic shotgun has a Clip 2, leading me to believe that it's a double-barreled design. Since it shows only one trigger, this typically indicates it can't fire both barrels at once (which would be the Twin-Linked or Storm quality), but it really should enjoy a greater RoF over the Pump-Action Shotgun. Would it be wrong to give the Shotgun a RoF S/2/-? This might help make the choice between the (Double-Barreled) Shotgun and the Pump-Action Shotgun a little less of a no-brainer.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Really there should be a lot of options for the shotgun, but that is going on our modern day standards wherby there ARE lots of variants.

In 40k the Shotgun isn't as widely used - mainly gangers, arbites, drop infantry and naval armsmen.

Here's my proposal to bring them in line and have some clear heirarchy to them…

Name

Type

Range

ROF

Dam

Pen

Clip

Rld

Traits

Wgt

Double Barrelled Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/2/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Scatter, Reliable

3kg

Sawn-Off Shotgun

Pistol

5m

S/2/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Inaccurate, Scatter

1kg

Pump-Action Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/-/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Scatter

5kg

Combat Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/3/-

1d10+4

1 Full

Scatter

6.5kg

Automatic Combat Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/-/5

1d10+4

1 Full

Scatter

7.5kg

I'd allow ammo upgrades for any these, but the Double, Sawn-off and Pump-Action do not use magazines and so cannot use shot-selectors. The sawn off being pistol means it cannot use melee attachments (obviously!) and may also not make use of any sights including red-dots. Also with the exception of the sawn-off, all shotguns may be utilized as a club in melee combat (instead of an improvised weapon) due to their sturdy construction.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Kasatka said:

Really there should be a lot of options for the shotgun, but that is going on our modern day standards wherby there ARE lots of variants.

In 40k the Shotgun isn't as widely used - mainly gangers, arbites, drop infantry and naval armsmen.

Here's my proposal to bring them in line and have some clear heirarchy to them…

Name

Type

Range

ROF

Dam

Pen

Clip

Rld

Traits

Wgt

Double Barrelled Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/2/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Scatter, Reliable

3kg

Sawn-Off Shotgun

Pistol

5m

S/2/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Inaccurate, Scatter

1kg

Pump-Action Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/-/-

1d10+4

2 Full

Scatter

5kg

Combat Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/3/-

1d10+4

1 Full

Scatter

6.5kg

Automatic Combat Shotgun

Basic

30m

S/-/5

1d10+4

1 Full

Scatter

7.5kg

I'd allow ammo upgrades for any these, but the Double, Sawn-off and Pump-Action do not use magazines and so cannot use shot-selectors. The sawn off being pistol means it cannot use melee attachments (obviously!) and may also not make use of any sights including red-dots. Also with the exception of the sawn-off, all shotguns may be utilized as a club in melee combat (instead of an improvised weapon) due to their sturdy construction.

I like it. I would consider that the Sawn-Off Shotgun and the Pump-Action Shotgun could probably stand to be Reliable if the basic Double-Barreled Shotgun is going to be Reliable (especially the Sawn-Off). Instead, I would suggest that none of them should be Reliable (unless at Good Craftsmanship or better).

#4 Géza!

Géza!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

The sawn-off shotgun is in Inquisitor's Handbook for DH, where it is modified to fire both barrels at once, thus gaining the Tearing quality. If however it is loaded with only one shell, it loses the Tearing quality.

#5 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I thought about giving reliable to other shotguns but the sawn-off has been structurally altered by the user and so shouldn't be as reliable as it is out of the box. Similarly the pump actions shotgun has more complicated moving parts than the basic double barrelled and so can jam more easily.

Also with regards to the hack shotgun from IH having tearing - i always felt that was a little overpowered. I found that the ability to shoot a pair of shotguns (as they were pistol class after all) at point blank range generated so much damage that the tearing wasn't needed. I suppose if you feel the double barrelled shotguns need more oomph then allowing any of the double/sawn off shotguns to have tearing if fire on Semi/2…

#6 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Pump Actions can fee from 2 tubes, those exist in the real world, actually more common than finding fire selector equipped guns that feed from magazines IRL (which are rare). I like the tearing option just showing the raw power of 2 12 gauge shells shot close up, I also like the double barrel able to have it, as long as both can fire both shots off one at a time. I suppose S/2/- is fine too but it just treats the shotgun no different from other guns. Also, for the pump action, while it may be more complex than a double barrel, it still is a very simple and solid design and reliable.

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Cymbel said:

I suppose S/2/- is fine too but it just treats the shotgun no different from other guns.

It has Scatter. That's what sets it apart from the majority of guns.

Of course, I would prefer if Scatter just acted as Tearing at PB and Short ranges and worked in reverse (roll an extra d10 and drop the highest die) at Long and Extreme ranges.

#8 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

HappyDaze said:

Cymbel said:

I suppose S/2/- is fine too but it just treats the shotgun no different from other guns.

It has Scatter. That's what sets it apart from the majority of guns.

Of course, I would prefer if Scatter just acted as Tearing at PB and Short ranges and worked in reverse (roll an extra d10 and drop the highest die) at Long and Extreme ranges.

For those of you keeping an eye on the D&D next beta i could phrase it as "advantage on damage rolls at PB and short range and disadvantage at long and extreme ranges" but alas FFG uses different mechanics and terminology.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS