• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm a new player to Akham and I have a few questions about the rules:

Where is the rule for the Undead monster ability? I looked on page 24 of the rulebook and it wasn't there.

Where are the enviromental rules for the mythos cards? I can't find them anywhere. I have one that says Mystic, what exactly is that supposed to do?

Please help if you can.

#2 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

If I haven't forgotten something, the undead ability has no effect on its own. It is just affected by other cards like the cross for example. So if there are no cards that says something about undead there are no effect.

Pretty much the same for mystic, urban and wheather on the mythos cards. It is only affected by certain AOs and some other specific cards like the acts from KiY. Otherwhise all environment cards are the same, they remain in play until a new environment is drawn no matter what type it is.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yep, Tbla is right. Some abilities on the back of monsters chits trigger special effects (like Nightmarish, or Ambush) or influence the combat in some other way (Magical Immunity, for example) while others refer to possible interactions with other cards. The Cross is a good example of interactions with Undead monsters. There is also an Environment card influencing Undead monsters (raising their toughness), and so on. Other interactions enter play as soon as you start expanding the game. There is a character from the Dunwich Horror expansion that is able to defeat very easily all Undead monsters.

Same for Environments: some Ancient Ones force you to discard some kind of Environments (Ithaqua forces you to discard Environment - Urban cards, for example); some other dynamics coming with expansions influence Environments as well.

Hope this helps

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Julia said:

Same for Environments: some Ancient Ones force you to discard some kind of Environments (Ithaqua forces you to discard Environment - Urban cards, for example); some other dynamics coming with expansions influence Environments as well.

Ithaqua actually affects Weather environments, not Urban. But can I check something on this, as I played Ithaqua yesterday in my first solo game (4 investigators though) and your post makes me wonder if I treated them correctly.

Ithaquas special power (from the wiki) is as follows:

Icy Winds - While Ithaqua stirs in his slumber, any investigator in a street area at the end of the Mythos phase loses 1 Stamina. In addition, all Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.

Now I treated that as 'If you get a weather card, you perform the gate/clue/monster movement as indicated, then discard it before resolving it's special effect - and leaving any previous environbment card in play'.

But in your reply to the OP you say 'forces you to discard Environment - [Weather] cards' making me wonder if they should be immediately discarded (without resolving anything on the card) and another card drawn for gate/clue/movement.

Which is it?

(Hope the above makes sense)

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Judgement Dave said:

Ithaqua actually affects Weather environments, not Urban.

Very true. My bad. Saddest thing is that I arkhamwikied Ithaqua before posting. Ugh. Need more coffe in the morning ::laughter:: still, the idea was clear, I hope

Judgement Dave said:

Icy Winds - While Ithaqua stirs in his slumber, any investigator in a street area at the end of the Mythos phase loses 1 Stamina. In addition, all Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.

Now I treated that as 'If you get a weather card, you perform the gate/clue/monster movement as indicated, then discard it before resolving it's special effect - and leaving any previous environbment card in play'.

The way you played is correct. The Mythos card is resolved, but the Environment does not enter play (leaving the old environment in play, if any)

Sorry if my wording created confusion

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's also in the FAQ (pag 12):

Ancient One Powers
Q: Ithaqua’s “Icy Winds” power says “All Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.” What happens in a game with Ithaqua if a non-Weather Environment is already in play, and a Mythos card with a Weather Environment effect is drawn?
A: Do not replace or discard the existing non-Weather Environment card. Do the basic upkeep portions of the new Weather Mythos card (gate, clues, monsters move), but ignore its special ability and then discard it.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

And sorry to the OP for the confusion Weather - Urban

#8 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Julia said:

It's also in the FAQ (pag 12):

Ancient One Powers
Q: Ithaqua’s “Icy Winds” power says “All Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.” What happens in a game with Ithaqua if a non-Weather Environment is already in play, and a Mythos card with a Weather Environment effect is drawn?
A: Do not replace or discard the existing non-Weather Environment card. Do the basic upkeep portions of the new Weather Mythos card (gate, clues, monsters move), but ignore its special ability and then discard it.

Darn! I scanned the FAQ when I drew Ithaqua, but missed that. Maybe the icy wind that had suddenly started blowing over me made me miss that paragraph!

Thanks for clarifying it.

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Judgement Dave said:

Darn! I scanned the FAQ when I drew Ithaqua, but missed that. Maybe the icy wind that had suddenly started blowing over me made me miss that paragraph!

Thanks for clarifying it.

::laughter:: you're welcome :-)

#10 Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the answers. We were having a really big argument about this and it was holding up the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS