Android Tabletop Roleplaying Game?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JosephCurwen

JosephCurwen

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

I don't know how many people here might play roleplaying games, but I am reading Freefall right now, and I thought it would be a great setting for a new cyberpunk tabletop rpg.

I played a couple different editions of Shadowrun, and don't get me wrong, I love the six sided die where a 5 or 6 is a success mechanic, but it still seems a little bogged down game mechanic wise (although reading the rules is exciting, executing them can be difficult). I also would like to see a cyberpunk game that is a little more serious without elves, dragons, or magic (maybe psionics as an optional mechanic but I don't think that exists (yet) in the Android universe.).

So what do you think, would you invest in an Android cyberpunk rpg if it was done right? If so what would you like to see for game mechanics?

I'm not too familiar with FFG's other rpgs so the game mechanics I'm not too sure of, but something simple would be good with a special mechanic for runners hacking the web. ( I like the way Shadowrun handled that although I would like to see the hacking ability rely a little more on skill and not completely on equipment). I would like to be able to play a human, clone, or bioroid. Not sure how much of Gibson's cyberware and street samurai themes will fit into the Android universe.

I think if it was done right it could be an incredible game.

#2 TychoE

TychoE

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

I actually just started an Android RPG with my group using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire beta book. I had to do a moderate amount of reorganization and changing some of the material, but not as much as one would think. I still have a lot of work to do for equipment, especially in the realm of computer hardware and programs, but I'm still playtesting the rules for hacking and don't want to get ahead of myself. I have rules for humans and clones, but bioroids were getting really tricky to get right, as they either have to deal with all of their programming restrictions (like they should, although there is a lot of evidence that they can break that themselves, be hacked, or made without certain restrictions) or they didn't really stand out from humans and clones much. For the time being I just disallowed them until I get the rest of the game working well. 

The whole reason I started working on one myself is that I just got so excited about the idea of RPing in this setting I couldn't wait for FFG to make an official game. I really hope they do one day, as I've loved all of their RPGs that I've had a chance to play. I don't really expect my homebrew rules to be too balanced, and I don't have enough information on certain areas of the setting to get too detailed, but the novels and cards from Netrunner are starting to fill in some gaps. Looking through the old Cyberpunk 2020 stuff is a big inspiration too. 

#3 Darian Ocana

Darian Ocana

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Tychoe,

I'm doing the exact same thing! I really enjoy the story mechanic dice that exist with EotE and I've started my own conversion as well :) I've done weapons and armor, but I'm still trying to figure out a good balance for "races" as well as classes/careers. I've also started jotting down ideas for netrunning, and I'm trying to keep the feel of the Android: Netrunner. So MU, Link, ICE strength, etc. but that's proving to be quite a task… My CP2020 library has been dusted off and seen more use in the past month than in the last couple of years. Which is AWESOME. Cyberpunk is my all time favorite setting/genre.

FFG, please put me down on the list for - Android: The Cyberpunk RPG!

#4 riastradh

riastradh

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

To the OP, I liked shadowrun in that respect (hacking, cyber-space reality, ICE and virtual attacks, program and hardware development, etc), but disliked just about everything else about it; especially the disparity between resolution systems when comparing physical combat vs. magic vs. decking. I'd be tempted by a well done Android RP, but truthfully I've drifted away from rules heavy systems.

To add…Technoir might be a good place to start as well.

Rules light with open options for customization and character outline. It's also very noir as the title suggests. Cyber attacks and hacking are encouraged, but the act is abstracted, so it's lacking immersion or "presence" in the process itself; however, Techoir is, by design, a very hackable system, and a little work might produce some satisfactory results. The default setting can certainly be modded to fit the Android universe; the stock runners and corporations most certainly provide a wealth of resource for contacts, organizations, and threats.

Now you've got me thinking…

#5 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

riastradh said:

To the OP, I liked shadowrun in that respect (hacking, cyber-space reality, ICE and virtual attacks, program and hardware development, etc), but disliked just about everything else about it; especially the disparity between resolution systems when comparing physical combat vs. magic vs. decking. I'd be tempted by a well done Android RP, but truthfully I've drifted away from rules heavy systems.

Here is the winner! Yeah to the OP and anyone else, that RPG system you are thinking of is SHADOWRUN. You could easily run a "no magic" version of the system or perhapes switch some of the magic user roles to represent bio-roids and clones. You could also change the dragons that run the mega-corps into people.

• Internutt likes this

#6 bioball

bioball

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

In fact here are the quickstart rules for Shadowrun

#7 Deathseed

Deathseed

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

riastradh said:

Here is the winner! Yeah to the OP and anyone else, that RPG system you are thinking of is SHADOWRUN. You could easily run a "no magic" version of the system or perhapes switch some of the magic user roles to represent bio-roids and clones. You could also change the dragons that run the mega-corps into people.

Doable, but I'm rather keen on seeing what they could do with the system they've established for EotE in a cyberpunk setting with all the room that Netrunner is generating for fluff and theme.

You think you've got problems. What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't even bother answering. I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know the answer.

#8 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

There's always the FATE system as well, just into its third edition, PDF is pay-what-you-want (including free) and it's designed to be adapted to any setting. If you like rules-light gameplay it's great, but you would need to do some work upfront to get FATE:Android into an easily playable state (deciding on how to handle Bioroids is probably the biggest\ job).

#9 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

There is always the Game that inspired the Original Netrunner card game: Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

#10 GilboD

GilboD

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

This is my go to Cyberpunk RPG, and it can easily be ported to the Android setting. Also free.

http://www.ardens.or...e-sprawl-v-0-2/

#11 grey3

grey3

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

There is always the Game that inspired the Original Netrunner card game: Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

They are also working on a new edition of the original Cyberpunk game, to coincide with the release of the video game.

http://cyberpunk.net/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all of the Dungeons and Dragons, this is my favorite Dungeons and Dragons.

#12 Maliseraph

Maliseraph

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

My 2 cents: check out Spycraft, it might suit your needs well, and as essentially DND 3.5+ it should be accessible to most gaming groups. Also, it includes a hacker class right out of the starting gate.

#13 spr5858

spr5858

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

The best current RPG I can think of would be Interface Zero by Gun Metal Games. It's pure Cyberbunk. It's currently going through a new edition printing after doing very well on Kickstarter but should be available by Christmas it had very good reviews and would be perfect for Android. Though I would still love to see FFG do a dedicated RPG.  I will be getting IZ. 

Hey! I know where we are, we're in that place where we did not where we was before.

#14 Hans Chung-Otterson

Hans Chung-Otterson

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Remember Tomorrow is an excellent cyberpunk game, the best I've played really. You could easily do Android with it.

Technoir is also a fun cyberpunk/noir game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS