Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3939

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Don't forget the Edge of Darkness about page.

I'm totally excited for this expansion! It looks every bit as good as I was hoping. There are some neat cards, like Reversal of Fate. Plus, I'm really excited to get Bossk and Slave I on the table.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 JZWINK

JZWINK

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Wow, let's get through this Hoth stuff…so I can get my hands on THESE cards!

#4 Rozgutt

Rozgutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

If I understand the news correctly, we'll have to buy two deluxe expansions to get the full set of cards?

#5 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Rozgutt said:

If I understand the news correctly, we'll have to buy two deluxe expansions to get the full set of cards?

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

#6 Rozgutt

Rozgutt

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Well, it's a pity - you only have to buy a single force pack, but two deluxe expansions.

It's still better than TCGs, though!

#7 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Kiwamu said:

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

#8 Nyvosus

Nyvosus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

All well and good FFG, we are craving some release dates though.

#9 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

So, you don't need two sets to get all of the cards, since 6 x 22 is 132, the number noted in the article.

As more of a collector than a player, though, I have to ask: What do they mean by "Competitive players can have a complete playset with two copies of Edge of Darkness?"

#10 sojo2600

sojo2600

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

NathanPButler said:

So, you don't need two sets to get all of the cards, since 6 x 22 is 132, the number noted in the article.

As more of a collector than a player, though, I have to ask: What do they mean by "Competitive players can have a complete playset with two copies of Edge of Darkness?"

Tournament legal decks can include two copies of the same objective.  Edge of Darkness has 22 unique objectives, so you'll need a second box if you want to run more than one of a particular objective set.

#11 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

So, in order to stay competitive I must buy two deluxe expansions, but if some objectives are limited to one per deck, I have to buy cards that I won't be able to use. I though we already learned that lesson.

#12 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Buying a second set and getting a playset of everything you want still beats buying a booster box and MAYBE getting what you need but most likely needing 1-3 more booster boxes to complete your playset.

#13 Nexuhs

Nexuhs

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

#14 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Tobogan said:

So, in order to stay competitive I must buy two deluxe expansions, but if some objectives are limited to one per deck, I have to buy cards that I won't be able to use. I though we already learned that lesson.

If there are Limited objective sets in this big expansion, I hope they will be neutral, so that they can be used in multiple decks.

The really disappointing part is that they are charging the same price for fewer cards. For most of the big-box expansions for the other LCGs, you get 165  cards for your $29.95. This one only gets you 132 cards, AND requires you to purchase two to be "competitive". I think there should have been a bit of a price break for getting fewer cards & having to buy two, but I guess that's the price of a hot license - or just milking a cash cow.

It sucks for the FLGS too, because people will be more likely to seek out the cheaper online alternatives if they have to buy more than one copy to be "competitive".

#15 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Nexuhs said:

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

#16 Kiwamu

Kiwamu

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

flightmaster101 said:

Kiwamu said:

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

I knew something was off… well I know now^what it was… besides they pretty much updated their news page and confirmed it…

#17 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Unknown said:

Buying a second set and getting a playset of everything you want still beats buying a booster box and MAYBE getting what you need but most likely needing 1-3 more booster boxes to complete your playset.

Woah, and buying a booster box, is still cheaper than crafting your own spaceship and destroy a death star (but not cooler). This is a LCG, not a TCG/CCG, and other LCGs get deluxe expansions with full playsets nowadays.

Maybe this is for balancing the fact that you only need to buy one coreset. They want our money back.

#18 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Tobogan said:

Unknown said:

Woah, and buying a booster box, is still cheaper than crafting your own spaceship and destroy a death star (but not cooler). This is a LCG, not a TCG/CCG, and other LCGs get deluxe expansions with full playsets nowadays.

Maybe this is for balancing the fact that you only need to buy one coreset. They want our money back.

Or maybe it is to balance the fact that in the core set you get one of each objective set and with this giving you one of each objective set and adding this to your one core set you now have one of each objective set for the factions starter decks and don't need to buy anything else if you don't want to but have 6 fully playable factions.

#19 sithhappens44142

sithhappens44142

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

ziggy2000 said:

Nexuhs said:

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

As far as I know, once a unique card gets put into the discard pile, you can bring out that character's card again from the draw pile.  I don't remember where exactly I read that in the rules forum, but I do remember reading it.  If this isn't the case, someone please let me know.  As far as having to buy two sets, as of right now, I don't like the idea of it however, it is still cheaper than buying ccg's or even miniatures, both of which I have done.  I can remember playing SW miniatures and spending $60 on one Boba Fett Bounty Hunter piece because it was THE piece to have, so all in all, I think this hobby will still turn out to be cheaper than anything else and just as much fun.  Personally, my favorite cards right now are the Boba Fett with the blaster and mandalorian armor cards, makes Boba into the beast that he truly is.  Every single DS deck I put together has the Bespin exchange objective in it and I can't wait to get more BH's. 

#20 Grobb

Grobb

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

No mention at all of the promised multiplayer content though…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS