range ruler misprint?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Was having a game the other day with my gaming buddies when one of them pointed out that if you look at the range ruler side on the range 1 mark is out by about 2 mm on one side.   the other 2 and 3 ranges seem ok, we checked our other core sets and noticed the same thing.  we put it down to one side being better shots at close range as we mainly play scenario driven games,  was just wondering if I enter a tornament will it make a difference as a couple of mm could make the difference.

c

#2 Severity

Severity

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing. On my ruler all three sections are exactly the same length. The distance to the line separating the 2 and 3 sections is exactly the length of the "5->" straight template (which makes it exactly the same size as the "4->" template plus 1 ship base).

Anyway, that's trivia. Can you clarify a bit more what you mean?

#3 Severity

Severity

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

It sounds like you're saying that the "red" side vs. the "green" side is off a bit making a range 1 on one side about 2mm longer. Am I reading you right?

I can report that my ruler is exact between the sides. The lines all line up so that whether you use green side or red the distances are the same. The lines being off could very well be a problem.

To be honest, I've never paid attention to which color I was using to measure. But like I said, on my ruler it wouldn't make a difference.

#4 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

yup sayin that the green side range one is off by 2mm in 4 core sets that my gaming group own.  not big problem just wondered if anyone else had this or would it affect my torny game im havin on sat?

cheers.

c

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Interesting. Of my three that I just checked, one was right on, one was off by just a hair, and the third was off by about 1mm (about the width of the line itself). 2mm is a lot in this game. I'd contact customer service (under the "More…" menu item at the top of the page) and see what they say. In the meantime, use the "long" side to measure when you're shooting, and the "short" side to measure when your opponent is! reir Seriously, if it comes up in tourney play, you and your opponent will have to come to an agreement, or get the TO involved.

#6 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

will get in touch with them, you look like a fellow B.A player,.

c

#7 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

This is why FFG needs to either put out acrylic range rulers (and tokens and maneuver dials and all the other cardboard pieces) or delegate it to someone like Gale Force Nine. I know there are a few rogue sources out there, and I think that's great, but for those of us that have gaming stores, it's still not possible to carry those. If there were some distributor for such things, we could sell the heck out of them. (TRANSLATION- FFG can make all the monies)

#8 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

elementcircle said:

This is why FFG needs to either put out acrylic range rulers (and tokens and maneuver dials and all the other cardboard pieces) or delegate it to someone like Gale Force Nine. I know there are a few rogue sources out there, and I think that's great, but for those of us that have gaming stores, it's still not possible to carry those. If there were some distributor for such things, we could sell the heck out of them. (TRANSLATION- FFG can make all the monies)

I suspect that's coming.  They have range rulers in the game night kits.  They gave out tokens in as prizes.  Both would make a nice product offering.  I have 3rd party movement templates and range ruler and they are very nice to use.

I don't know about movement dials.  That would be more problematic.  There would have to be 1 SKU for each ship, it would be a nightmare.  I suppose they could do a more modular setup where you had an insert for each ship type that went in an acrylic holder.  Then the inserts would need to be updated for each new wave tho.

#9 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

I think the plastic parts are being used as awards for attending game night events.  I think this sucks because not every store gets the game night kits.  Mine didn't get the first kit and now I have no chance at a tourny ok plastic range ruler.

#10 zachbunn

zachbunn

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I can't vouch for or against the accuracy of what comes in the box (mine seems accurate), but just this morning we launched Covenant Templates over at Team Covenant. We spent a LOT of time and energy making sure that our production process made our acrylic templates as accurate and consistent as possible. I can't imagine doing something like that on the front and back of a piece of cardboard across thousands and thousands of starter sets. The margin for error would be extremely difficult to control.

Do or do not, there is no try.

#11 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

During a local league play night we compared the cardboard range rulers, and there are variations.  The plastic options are significnatly more consistant (common, they are cut with frickin lasers!).

I guess if it was really that close I would measure with both sides and be decent about it.  Or just agree to use one of the sides and rules before the game so everyone is on the same standing for the game in a tournement or league.

#12 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Picasso said:

I think the plastic parts are being used as awards for attending game night events.  I think this sucks because not every store gets the game night kits.  Mine didn't get the first kit and now I have no chance at a tourny ok plastic range ruler.

Same problem here. I tried to get our store to get the first one (since I'm in charge of running the X-Wing events here) but they wouldn't do it because there "wasn't enough interest". We may not get them after this one (when it finally shows up) if we don't get enough people involved. It rediculous because we are CONSTANTLY sold out of ALL the products (Core Sets and expansions!) yet noone shows up to play and we play every week!

#13 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

zachbunn said:

I can't vouch for or against the accuracy of what comes in the box (mine seems accurate), but just this morning we launched Covenant Templates over at Team Covenant. We spent a LOT of time and energy making sure that our production process made our acrylic templates as accurate and consistent as possible. I can't imagine doing something like that on the front and back of a piece of cardboard across thousands and thousands of starter sets. The margin for error would be extremely difficult to control.

These are AWESOME! I will be buying a set of red AND a set of black as soon as I have the extra money! THANK YOU TEAM COVENANT!!!

(We can has acrylic maneuver dials someday? Please?) :)

#14 elementcircle

elementcircle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Oh, and you should definitely make a GREEN option!

#15 zachbunn

zachbunn

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

elementcircle said:

zachbunn said:

These are AWESOME! I will be buying a set of red AND a set of black as soon as I have the extra money! THANK YOU TEAM COVENANT!!!

(We can has acrylic maneuver dials someday? Please?) :)

Thank you very much for the very kind words and the support. We will keep that idea and green in mind. We have a lot planned for 2013. :)

Do or do not, there is no try.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS