• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

And it was quite the fun!

Epic scale, yet it still kept low key enough that the scale of it all may still seems too much for humble Guardsmen (compared to, let’s say, Acolytes) or at least will only overwhelm them when the conclusion is showing its ugly head.  The NPCs present are also well fitting and the description are enough to shape them out that they are not all the same with just different coloured uniforms.  The Regiments presents are also different enough to allow for good RP opportunities as well.  And while chapter 2’s missions are more straightforward militaristic missions (blow this up, kill that guy, go save that shuttle who got the info) to satisfy the guardsmen careers, the (non-combat) support careers would also have enough time to shine, mostly with NPC interaction, with the Tech-Priests having perhaps a more direct ‘usefulness’ if one can say so.

The only part that I found less interesting (almost too obvious really) was the Captain’s slow descent into a nervous breakdown;  first only wiggling about an unopened lho pack, only to end up a nervous wreck, chains smoking, drinking stale and cold recaf and sleeping into his uniform.  For someone who is supposed to be friendly to fellow officers and even to the troops to some extent, I believe his condition would be the buzz of the Depot, with fellow officers (and troops) trying to help him in some way.  I suppose this was put on in case the guardsmen PCs are too oblivious to what he/they are doing and simply obey without question (as it is expected from Guardsmen).

All in all, a good ‘typical’ campaign: faulty intel, horrible planetfall, Military politics in full swing, a Lord Commissar (now with extra #BLAM#), untrustworthy PDF, self-important quartermaster…

What did you guys think of it?

#2 whoseyes

whoseyes

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

I agree with what you said, only wanted to add that I found quite interesting the different alternatives of spinoff adventures that the book offers you. There are quite neat ideas there to do Only War games with soldiers not attached to a specific regiment (acting as bodyguards, working for other Imperium organizations, etc.).

I think it's a good first adventure supplement which can be adapted to many types of regiments. It's difficult to design a campaign where you can fit every single regiment you can imagine, I'm eager to see how future adventure supplements will be.

#3 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Braddoc said:

Well, even though we only made it until the crash landing scene, we later read through the other chapters too and had a big discussion about them. Our verdict: it is a pretty average campaign with all the merits and flaws of being an average campaign. 

Actually, there is one exception: the crash landing scene. It is really clumsy and clearly written for the bog-standard infantry regiment. Our GM made the mistake to take this scene as it is in the book, and the Squad (an elite assault team) managed to capture the Ordinatus… An armoured or a Hellhound equipped hunter-killer regiment would fare even better. So yeah, this part was pretty dumb, and a GM should make lots of changes to make it work. 

But the rest of the book is OK. 6.5/10 or 7.5 if we don't count the crash scene.

#4 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

AtoMaki said:

Braddoc said:

Well, even though we only made it until the crash landing scene, we later read through the other chapters too and had a big discussion about them. Our verdict: it is a pretty average campaign with all the merits and flaws of being an average campaign. 

Actually, there is one exception: the crash landing scene. It is really clumsy and clearly written for the bog-standard infantry regiment. Our GM made the mistake to take this scene as it is in the book, and the Squad (an elite assault team) managed to capture the Ordinatus… An armoured or a Hellhound equipped hunter-killer regiment would fare even better. So yeah, this part was pretty dumb, and a GM should make lots of changes to make it work. 

But the rest of the book is OK. 6.5/10 or 7.5 if we don't count the crash scene.

I wonder how did you manage to come close, even capture, the weapon by following the book?  I do recall it states numerous times that assaulting the weapon would be pointless as the incredible amount of mekboyz, boyz and Grots working on it (not to mention the other Orks all over the cave system, lack of support, leadership, equipment etc..).  I can understand you guys wanted to do it, but it would have been basically a suicide run and a quick ending to the campaign, which it appears it was.

#5 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Braddoc said:

I wonder how did you manage to come close, even capture, the weapon by following the book?  I do recall it states numerous times that assaulting the weapon would be pointless as the incredible amount of mekboyz, boyz and Grots working on it (not to mention the other Orks all over the cave system, lack of support, leadership, equipment etc..).  I can understand you guys wanted to do it, but it would have been basically a suicide run and a quick ending to the campaign, which it appears it was.

Not at all. According to the book, the opposition is roughly 20 Lootaz, 1 Meganob, 300 Gretchin and their Runtherds (and some random boys who will cut it as soon as the company turns the Lootaz and the Nob into smoke). Later on 60 Boyz will also join the fight, but they need time to prepare and arrive. If you had a good landing, then you should have 100+ Guardsmen (40% of the company) with all their basic equipment inact and 1 Chimera for each 10 Guardsmen (10+ Chimeras). I dunno, but the situation clearly favors the Imperial Guard, at least initially. You will need that 300 Speed Freak badly as a GM, but if the characters can rally the company and set up a defensive position around the Ordinatus then the battle is just as good as won. The lack of officers are clearly counterproductive here, as it allows the players to take control and go haywire. 

Now, with a normal ifnantry regiment, the problem isn't that bad, as the Lootaz and the Nob are a considerable threat. But for example, we had Ripper Guns, a Lascannon, and characters specialized to take out hard targets. So yeah, Rippers beat Lootaz, and I can see this happening with Battle Cannons and Inferno Cannons too. 

#6 whoseyes

whoseyes

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

There are 1200 Gretchin by the book, and the possibility to "summon" as many as you need.

Anyway, why do we discuss this on every thread? atontado

#7 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

whoseyes said:

Anyway, why do we discuss this on every thread? atontado

Uhm, maybe because people keep asking about it :D?

And on a second look, it is really 1200 Gretchin… LOL, we missed that it is 20 mobs of these critters.Not like it would change anything, Gretchin is still just…. Gretchin. A Chimera will roll through 1000 or 20 Gretchin with the same ease.

#8 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Also, the 60 boyz that will take time to organize are actually 10 mobs of 30 boyz each, a rather bigger challenge.

I didn't know peple talked about Final Testament in every post, I started this thread here to talk about the book and the campaign within, as the only other post is 1-2 page down and was rather lackbuster in terms of opinion/comments concerning the overall book.

#9 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Braddoc said:

Also, the 60 boyz that will take time to organize are actually 10 mobs of 30 boyz each, a rather bigger challenge.

I was talking about the 60 boyz who can randomly pop up from the tunnels. Later, I even mentioned that the GM will need the 300 boyz (the Speed Freaks from the camp) to give at least a feeling of "lost cause.". But according to the map, if the players defeat the initial orks (the Lootaz and the Nob) within the Speed Freak's preparation, then they will reach the Ordinatus roughly in the same time as the horde. And if you think about it, the Ordinatus is a logical route to escape as:

- It is the only way without Ork barricades.

- It is still an imperial machine, so the players could have a legit thought that it has some sort of comms/weapons/whatever useful stuff on it..

- if the players decide that they will break out head-on, then they will go exactly towards the Ordinatus, and the 4->3->2->1->6 escape route isn't that horrible if you think about it…

So the GM should employ some tricks and manauvers to keep the players on the rail (like raining Bomb Squigs against armoured regiments). Ours actually thought that he will keep one officer alive, who can specifically order the palyers to break out in the right direction. Then, at the end of the etap, the officer can die a heroic death. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS