Titles questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tjstyles

tjstyles

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

My playgroup started in AGOT back with the sample decks given out at GenCon 2004 or whenever, but pretty much stopped playing when the game went LCG. We have recently picked it up again (for real this time), and we have quite a few questions. I want to make sure that these questions are searchable and usable for people in the future, so instead of one big post titled something vague like "Questions" I will group them in logical bunches. So, sorry for all the posts that are coming.

First set of questions have to do with the titles:

1. I did a search and found a little bit of information about this, but it was in different areas and not incredibly clear. How does Crown Regant and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard work exactly? I read they both have different timing. Are attackers declared before using Crown Regant? If so, are those same characters attacking the new target? What about stealth (for both titles)? What if an attacker is no longer a legal attacker because of the new target?
  2. In a 3-player game, what happens if you use Crown Regent and the player you redirect supports the 3rd player? Can you not use Crown Regent in that scenario? I read something in one of the posts that kind of implied that you couldn't use it in that scenario, but it didn't just say it. We were using it as a cancellation of the attack, which is probably wrong.
  3. In the 3-player variation, what exactly happens with the first set of titles between the taxation phase and selecting a new title? Are they still considered to be your title until you select the new titles? For example, if you choose Hand of the King the first round, could you use that 2 influence to pay the cost of a response to a plot being revealed in the second round, before you select a new title? Or, for example, to put Sorrowful Man into as a response to someone bringing a character out of shadows at the start of the plot phase?
  4. Does Master of Laws affect the number of cards you can draw each turn? I.e. if you draw a card for Master of Laws does that mean you can only draw 2 other cards that turn? (In fact, I am just going to ask for a clarification here on the draw limit since it is related: Is it still "3 cards outside the standard 2 per turn" or is it different now?)
  5. With I Fight to Win, are the support/oppose effects of having two titles cumulative? In other words, if you choose Master of Laws and Crown Regent as your two titles, and the player with Master of Whispers attacks you, do they get 2 additional power or still just 1? How does it work with cards like Arya Stark and The Smalljon? If someone's title supports one of your titles but opposes your other title, can they attack you?
  6. Are the titles chosen face-up or face-down? We originally played with them "hidden" so you didn't necessarily know who had which title, but someone watched the world championship games and saw they did it face-up. Which are you supposed to do?
  7. The person who watched the world championship game said that it did not look like they used support/oppose rules. Are they used in tournament play?
  8. I vaguely remember that if you support a player you can defend for them, but there were a bunch of stipulations. How does that work again and how is it different than what happens when Lord Commander of the Kingsguard redirects a challenge? (I remember for one of them that claim works against the original target, but the person defending wins/loses the challenge? How does deadly work for them, etc.?)

This will be the biggest set of questions for any of the posts I will be making. And, I did search for these answers on the forums, but the search isn't all that good on this site (not to mention it can be ridiculously slow). Most of the answers I found were ambiguous or vague, or assumed that you knew how a bunch of this stuff already worked.

#2 tjstyles

tjstyles

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

tjstyles said:

2. In a 3-player game, what happens if you use Crown Regent and the player you redirect supports the 3rd player? Can you not use Crown Regent in that scenario? I read something in one of the posts that kind of implied that you couldn't use it in that scenario, but it didn't just say it. We were using it as a cancellation of the attack, which is probably wrong.

Actually, I have a follow-up to this. Is the result different if the thing preventing the attack is something other than supporting another through titles (i.e. A Time of Trials Catelyn or Across the Summer Sea)?

#3 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

1. Crown Regent is used just after a challenge is declared (including target player, challenge type and attackers). Stealth has not been declared at this point (so it will be declared against the new target).  I can't see a scenario where a specific character would become illegal (but I do see scenarii where a character would have had to kneel instead of staying standing or the reverse); in any case, such attackers are already participating (no backtracking). Lord Commander of the Kingsguard is used as a cancel of the declare defenders step and specifically recreates an opportunity to use Stealth against the new target.
  2. With Crown regent, in the case where no other player is a legal target of the challenge, it stays against the original target, no matter what makes the target illegal.
  3. At the end of the round, titles are set aside. If not enough remain for all players, they are returned to the pool for choice. No one has a title between the start of the new round and the choice of titles.
  4. The card drawn for Master of Laws does not count against the draw cap, because it is consided a rule effect rather than a card effect.
  5. You can only claim 1 power each round for title opposition. If you support a player, you cannot attack him, even if you oppose him with another title.
  6. Face up.
  7. They are.
  8. The main differences are who bears the claim (the original target in case of support, the new target in case of LC) and the fact that you need to declare at least one defender to support. In both cases, the new target becomes the defending player for all purposes other than claim (including deadly and if you win/lose challenge responses).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS