The wordings "Targeted Strike"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

There are few cards with the wordings "Targeted Strike" like Luke Skywalker, Vader's Lightsaber (Enhance) and Tie Attack Squadron (perhaps couple other cards that I haven't checked). 

While Luke's card has been explained clearly, I'm not quite sure about these wordings on the rest.

1. Tie Attack Squadron : Do these wordings mean …

gain one unit damage and THEN target strike (attack) OR

gain one unit damage on Tie Squadron AS WELL AS the targeted strike (in this case any unit targeted by the attacker) 

2. Vader's Lightsaber (Enhance card): If this card is attached to Darth Vader he also gains targeted strike (beside gaining one unit damage). Would anyone be able to elaborate more on this one? 

Thanks in advance guys .. :)

#2 Sportacus

Sportacus

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Rules page 25:

TARGETED STRIKE

When a card with the “Targeted Strike” keyword strikes
during an engagement as an attacker, damage from its æ
icon type may be assigned to one target enemy unit card,
even if that unit is not participating in the engagement.

#3 Tehnam

Tehnam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

Luminous Quasar said:

1. Tie Attack Squadron : Do these wordings mean …

gain one unit damage and THEN target strike (attack) OR

gain one unit damage on Tie Squadron AS WELL AS the targeted strike (in this case any unit targeted by the attacker) 

2. Vader's Lightsaber (Enhance card): If this card is attached to Darth Vader he also gains targeted strike (beside gaining one unit damage). Would anyone be able to elaborate more on this one? 

Thanks in advance guys .. :)

First Definition is good

Apply UNIT DAMAGE icon; now the card has 2 UNIT DAMAGE and 2 Blast Damage (1 BLAST DAMAGE if you lost the edge battle)

Target Strike is now in effect; refer to gamebook rules - When a card with the “Targeted Strike” keyword strikes during an engagement as an attacker, damage from its UNIT DAMAGE icon type may be assigned to one target enemy unit card, even if that unit is not participating in the engagement.

#4 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Thanks guys .. somehow I missed reading this keyword in the rule book .. :) 

#5 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Sportacus said:

Rules page 25:

TARGETED STRIKE

When a card with the “Targeted Strike” keyword strikes
during an engagement as an attacker, damage from its æ
icon type may be assigned to one target enemy unit card,
even if that unit is not participating in the engagement.

I had this argument with Tiny Grimes in the middle of the game. While it is easy to just point to the keyword explaination in the rulebook there is also another section in the same rulebook on page 11. The golden rule….

" …In the absence of the word “cannot,” when text on a card directly
contradicts the text in this rulebook, the card text takes
precedence."

so now let look at Tie Attack Sqaudron:

"During any engagement in which you have placed at least 1 fate card in your edge stack, this unit gains [Unit Damage] and targeted strike."

as we all see this card specifies any engagement. I would say this directly contradicts the text in the rulebook and would allow the Tie to target strike as a defender.  Now the counter to this is yes while it allows him to have targeted strike as a defender targeted strike ONLY works as an attacker so the Tie gains only a blast icon as defender with a fate card.

So i for one would like to see a clarification on this when the Faq is released. I cant wait to see if I was right. If i'm not it was a waste to include the text "during any engagement" unless…..

Now my question is: does the tie need to be in the battle to get the bonus? does the bonus ever fade? does the bonus continue to stack… so each battle you play a fate card it gains a blast icon?

#6 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Tie Attack Squadron does not tell you that it allows you to use the keyword differently than the rulebook dictates. The ability is simply better if you are attacking. You can trigger this ability each engagement you place cards in your edge stack, however it doesn't have a clear duration of the effect. Therefore I'd say it lasts for the duration of the engagement based on the ability starting with "during any engagement".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS