Sorry can't give you the measurements cause I don't have the big ships yet…
I use a plano 1374 tackle-box, it is a bit big and probably hard to store with your other games but it works great if you are building large forces.
Pieces I currently have:
2 core sets
2 x-wing expansions (total of 4)
2 tie fighter expansions (total of 6)
2 tie advanced expansions
Currently I have a lot of space, enabling pretty good organization and the ability to expand a bit.
Currently I have my box setup like this:
1. tray for all Rebel minis,plates, pegs, pilot/ship cards, numbering,target lock tokens etc I didn't keep the ship inserts, I just created small areas for 1 ship each, not completely "solid" like foam etc but unless you are throwing the thing around I doubt damage will occur if you minimize movement of the pieces.
2. tray for all rebel minis,plates, pegs, pilot/ship cards, numbering, target lock tokens etc
3. tray for general game pieces: evade/focus/crit/ion/astorid/scenerio tokens, measureing templates, dice, upgrade cards
4. tray for extra game pieces, the extra space is a luxury in that I removed all unneeded pieces like duplicate sccenrio pieces or extra unique upgrade/pilot cards (kept 2 of each since each side can have 1, I think).
5. The big tray at the top houses the rule books and a printing copy of faq/errdata doc. If I can't fit the big ships in the trays, I will put them in the top tray easily.
And just for reference I don't see much of a problem expanding with Wave 2… Just checked my pre-order and this is what I have on order…
1 slave and 1 falcon