• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JetStream

JetStream

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi All,

I like keeping the ships in the roughly 3"x4" plastic shells they come in and am planning on buying a larger case to store them all in. I want to make sure the wave 2 expantions fit as well, so if anyone knows how big the plastic shells for YT-1300 and Firespray-32 are I would greatly appreciate it (I'm assumeing the a-wing and tie-intercepters come in the same shells as the wave 1 ships).

Thanks,

David

#2 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Sorry can't give you the measurements cause I don't have the big ships yet…

I use a plano 1374 tackle-box, it is a bit big and probably hard to store with your other games but it works great if you are building large forces.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=plano 1374

Pieces I currently have:

2 core sets

2 x-wing expansions (total of 4)

2 y-wings

2 tie fighter expansions (total of 6)

2 tie advanced expansions

Currently I have a lot of space, enabling pretty good organization and the ability to expand a bit.

Currently I have my box setup like this:

1. tray for all Rebel minis,plates, pegs, pilot/ship cards, numbering,target lock tokens etc  I didn't keep the ship inserts, I just created small areas for 1 ship each, not completely "solid" like foam etc but unless you are throwing the thing around I doubt damage will occur if you minimize movement of the pieces.

2. tray for all rebel minis,plates, pegs, pilot/ship cards, numbering, target lock tokens etc

3. tray for general game pieces: evade/focus/crit/ion/astorid/scenerio tokens, measureing templates, dice, upgrade cards

4. tray for extra game pieces, the extra space is a luxury in that I removed all unneeded pieces like duplicate sccenrio pieces or extra unique upgrade/pilot cards (kept 2 of each since each side can have 1, I think).

5. The big tray at the top houses the rule books and a printing copy of faq/errdata doc.  If I can't fit the big ships in the trays, I will put them in the top tray easily.

And just for reference I don't see much of a problem expanding with Wave 2…  Just checked my pre-order and this is what I have on order…

1 slave and 1 falcon

4 a-wings

3 intercepters

#3 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I bought this http://us.battlefoam....-216-(BF).html

and it is easily worth the $30.  It will hold just about as many ships from the first 2 waves as you will ever need.

Here a couple of pics of my trays with the stuff in it.

#4 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

What do you keep those foam inserts inside of?

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

The plastic shell for the Slave is roughly 5" x 6.5", and "thicker" than the ones for the smaller ships at about 2.5". I'm going to guess that the Falcon one has the same dimensions. They are too tall to fit in the core box like the smaller ship shells can.

For Wave 1, I used a Plano 5231 storage box, the red one that you see a lot of people using. It is available at K-Mart for $10 in the Garage Organization section. It worked great to hold all 16 of my wave 1 ships in the bottom compartment, along with all the cards and tiles plus the plastic stands, and there's plenty of room in the top compartment for all the tokens and templates and such. I'm going to outgrow it for wave 2 though, so I went with the Battlefoam inserts as well.

The Battlefoam inserts are 15.5" x 12" x 12.5", with a foam topper that makes the total thicknes 3.75". They are designed to fit into a Battlefoam P.A.C.K 216 size bag, but they will also fit other P.A.C.K series bags as well - I have a P.A.C.K 432 which holds the X-Wing stuff plus other pluck foam trays to carry other things - right now it holds 4 decks and all the bits & bobs needed to play the Star Wars Card Game. The Battlefoam solution is not cheap, but it is hard to beat. The trays will also fit into anything of the appropriate size - one local gamer found a wooden artist's case at Hobby Lobby that was the perfect size to hold the Battlefoam inserts. He did have to modify the latch so that it was a bit sturdier though.

I understand KR Multicase also has some foam X-Wing solutions as well.

Good luck!

#6 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Effenhoog said:

What do you keep those foam inserts inside of?

I use this  http://www.saboldesi.../motorpool.html

I have two of those that I got for my other various mini's game so I didn't need to buy one. But as far as cases go they are on the cheaper side(price wise) for the awesome quality they are. After using them as long as I have any future cases I get will be Armytransport. Also for reference you could easily stack two sets of those battlefoam foam inserts in an Armytransport Motor Pool as it is 8" deep

#7 JetStream

JetStream

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Those battlefoam inserts look pretty cool. I may have to go that route if I don't find a nice case to put the plastic inserts into.

David

#8 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

ACK! I just saw the error in my post about the Battlefoam trays being 12.5" thick - NOT SO! They are each 1.75" thick for a total of 3.75" with the foam topper.

I didn't know about the Army Transport stuff, it looks good too.

#9 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm an old wargamer from Warhammer fantasy 1st edition. I have tried tons of different miniature solutions over the years and have grown to prefer sabol and their army transports for large stuff (tank, dragons,etc…) with battlefoam inserts, sabols inserts and I have had a few issues lol. And for my basic size minis such as regular troops I honestly prefer GW hard cases. But I was just thinking about this problem for this game. I have never heard of this Kr multicase though if anyone has any first hand experience I would like to.hear it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS