• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Heavy Stroke is a Tactics Events and reads:

Response: After a Dwarf deals X damage to an enemy during combat, deal an additional X damage to that enemy. (Limit once per phase.)

I have 2 questions:
1) Multiple characters participate in an attack, but only 1 is a Dwarf.  Are you able to use Heavy Stroke to consider everyone's combined attack as X?  Or just the attack strength of the Dwarf?  That would seem convoluted -- if 3 characters pool their attack to do 1 damage to a 3-shield enemy, it seems like I'd have to tease apart which character actually did the damage.  Maybe the Dwarf contributed 2 attack strength, the secod ally contributed 1, and it was the 1 attack strength of the 3rd ally that actually caused damage. 

2) Does the 'limit once per phase' mean that you can't trigger a second copy of Heavy Stroke, or that you can't recycle the same card and re-use it (e.g., via Hama if you're engaged with at least 3 enemies).

Thanks for responses.

#2 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm not an expert, but I interpret it as this:

1) It says "a Dwarf", so to me that sounds like one character only.  So, I'm guessing that this card is for Erebor Battle Master or a damaged Gimli, since they can attack solo, but maybe not be quite enough to finish the enemy off.  

2) I think of it as you can only play that card once that phase, whether it's a copy of it or not, since they would have the same name.  So if you had another copy of Heavy Stroke in your hand, or you recycled the same copy with Hama, you couldn't play it until the next phase you have combat.

If anyone has more information on this, please correct me.  I have also been confused about this card, since it seems a little unfair for it to only work on a single Dwarf.

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Think I saw something in the latest FAQ stating something along the lines, that heavy stroke can be used in an attack by multiple characters and in that case you get to decide which damage is used to overcome an enemy´s armor and which damage takes a toll on his HP. Can´t be bothered to look it up right now complice

#4 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for pointed that out NM -- I found this here:

http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=689725

Caleb:

Hi Booored,
The way Heavy Stroke is intended to work depends on allowing players to choose which character's attack value is applied to the enemy's defense value. In your example, the optimal way to play Heavy Stroke would be to apply Aragorn's attack 3 to the enemy's 1 defense. So Aragorn is dealing 2 damage to the enemy and Dwalin is also dealing 2 damage, at which point you play Heavy Stroke to double Dwalin's damage and make it 4 for a total of 6 damage dealt to the enemy.

Just to clarify it further, let's say Aragorn and Dwalin were attacking an enemy with 4 defense. The optimal way to play Heavy Stroke would be to apply all 3 of Aragron's attack plus 1 of Dwalin's to beating the enemy's defensse, then Dwalin would deal 1 damage to the enemy that could be double with Heavy Stroke for a total of 2.

Hope that helps,

------------------

So, it does work in this convoluted way.  Gotta say, I think this is a needless complication, but that's what we've got to work with!  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS