• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

this is endless endurance: http://www.cardgamed...ry_6_303455.jpg

let's say I have 3 endless endurance in my discard pile and I win a military challenge by 4 strg. do I get all my cards back or only one?

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Remember that you trigger ech card individually, and return each one to your hand individually.

Is there any particular reason you might think you couldn't trigger the Response on each individual card?

#3 Robby Stark

Robby Stark

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I thought winning a challenge might be considered to be the ''cost'' to trigger the effect

#4 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Robby Stark said:

I thought winning a challenge might be considered to be the ''cost'' to trigger the effect

It is, technically, but that's why on certain event cards that trigger off of the occurence have that handy phrase "once per challenge," or "once per phase."

If it does not have the stipulation, and/or you're not trying to trigger more than one of the same response if it does, then you are allowed to do it as many times as you have the responses. This is the same reason you can trigger No Quarter and Die by The Sword off the same MIL challenge, as long as you have both a unique character and a war crest character in that challenge.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

stormwolf27 said:

It is, technically, but that's why on certain event cards that trigger off of the occurence have that handy phrase "once per challenge," or "once per phase."

If it does not have the stipulation, and/or you're not trying to trigger more than one of the same response if it does, then you are allowed to do it as many times as you have the responses. This is the same reason you can trigger No Quarter and Die by The Sword off the same MIL challenge, as long as you have both a unique character and a war crest character in that challenge.

This is all incorrect.

Winning the challenge is a play restriction, not a cost - technically or otherwise. Costs are the resources you must pay in order to initate the specific effect. Play restrictions are the conditions that control when and how often you may initiate an effect. 

If winning the challenge were a cost, you could only use one "after you win a challenge" Response because you cannot pay for multiple effects with the same resources (e.g., you cannot pay for two different characters with the same gold token, or pay for two different 'Lannister Pays His Debts' with the same knelt Lanni character). But a single condition can be part of satisfying the play restrictions for many different effects. Said another way, "after you win a challenge" is going to be true from the time the challenge is resolved to the time the action window closes, so things that can only be played "after you win a challenge" can be played during that time -- provided you have the resources to do so.

The fact that winning the same challenge can be part of meeting the play restrictions on two separate effects - like No Quarter and Die By the Sword - has nothing to do with the absence of "once per challenge" limits allowing you to pay the cost of multiple effects. It has to do with the fact the two effects have similar play restrictions, one of which is winning a challenge.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS