Photo

Tips on making the beginner box 6 player.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EvilUncleTony

EvilUncleTony

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Does anyone have any tips on making beginner box 6 player?

#2 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Well if you haven't already I suggest downloading the two extra characters here. You will need to adjust the adventure at certain points, which may mean adding a couple more opposition or another stormtrooper trio, but otherwise it should run the same.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#3 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

I just ran the Edge of the Empire Beginner Game last night with six players, and it worked out fairly well, all things considered. Where it was appropriate, I scaled the number of opponents. For example, in the cantina encounter, I increased the number of Gamorreans from four to six. I left the initiative order more or less "as-is" and simply tacked on two spots for players at the end of the initiative order.

I didn't even have to adjust the number of stormtroopers during the city-chase scene, because my players are terrified of them. (They're still suffering from post-traumatic stress related to a "They're only stormtroopers, how hard could they be?" moment back during a Saga Edition game.) If you needed to, you could increase the number of stormtrooper squads from two to three to maintain the 3:2 ratio of minions to players.

For the rest of the encounters, the group made it easy on me by either roleplaying their way through, or by splitting the group up and never being more than four players in a single location anyway. For example, two players decided to try to tip over the water tower to distract the guard droids so two more players could sneak into spaceport control while the other two players managed to bluff their way onto Trex's ship with the HMRI.

Normally, I'd be in loathe to split the party, but in this case it worked out really well.

Obviously, a lot of what I did was group-specific, but short of maybe adding a couple of guard droids here and there (where appropriate) I don't think you'd have to do too much work to keep things relatively balanced.

If you have questions about how specific encounters worked out, let me know and I'll help where I can. Disclaimer: I'm still a relatively new GM, though, so I'm certainly no expert on the rules or GMing.

I hope that helps.

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#4 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'll be following this thread closely.  our RPG group irregularly has 7 players. looking forward to it!

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#5 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

I ran this for a group of 6 a few weeks ago, and aside from tweaking a couple NPCs towards the end, I really didn't have to change much.  Spoilers ahead for those that haven't played the adventure.

The 1st combat encounter in the bar has a number of bad guys equal to the PCs, so that scales easy enough.

The next combat encounter, at spaceport control, I tweaked the security droids a bit but only used 4 droids for the fight.

The combat encounter with the stormtroopers I used exactly as is, but player ingenuity cut it pretty short.

The last fight, I gave the final boss a couple of tweaks but left his security droids as written, and it worked out pretty well, particularly as events aligned to have the fight end on a pretty cinematic note.

However, I also let the players make their own characters using the Beta rules, and they were a smidge more capable than the BB pre-gens.  If you're curious about how it went, you can read about on my blog.

Part 1: http://jedimorningfi...scape-from.html

Part 2: http://jedimorningfi...scape-from.html

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#6 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

that was a great read, thanks. now let's hope I'm the GM…

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS