Crazy 8 maneuver

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

This is the Crazy 8 Maneuver idea I just came up with after I fooled around a bit with the scanned copies of my movement templates in Pages. I honestly don't know if this will/would ever work, or actually I would think it might be useful if one needed/wanted to draw in the opponent (possibly forcing him/her through the asteroids) whil still keeping your formation with swarm tactics etc.

http://www.gratisima...71_5116BE4E.jpg

Inputs/impressions??

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#2 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Improved schematics:

http://www.gratisima...EF_5116ED75.jpg

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#3 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

That is pretty neat looking. I can see it being a bit more useful with Daredevil, just because it takes fewer turns to make it all the way around. The coolest part about this is that you've just mapped out a perfect execution of the Corellian Slip. If the ships were being tailed, you could break off and set it up so that the wingman would have the enemy in their sights, perhaps even head-to-head.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#4 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Would work well for 360 degree turreted ships.  I say turreted ships because if you don't have a turret, while you are busy turning around they just start korigran and keep you in their fire arc.  The big problem is that you may never have the space to pull it off, either astroids or enemy ships getting in your way.

#5 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

CPTMcMurphy said:

Would work well for 360 degree turreted ships.  I say turreted ships because if you don't have a turret, while you are busy turning around they just start korigran and keep you in their fire arc.  The big problem is that you may never have the space to pull it off, either astroids or enemy ships getting in your way.

I completly agree. After they koiogran they get two or three turns of shooting at you with no response unless your a Y-wing with an Ion cannon.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#6 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

BigDogg said:

CPTMcMurphy said:

I completly agree. After they koiogran they get two or three turns of shooting at you with no response unless your a Y-wing with an Ion cannon.

I agree with you points, but as I also wrote in my original posting I might think it would only (or mostly) be useful as an opening maneuver. Furthermore, it must be noted that Y-Wings can't do sharp 1 turns. So a turreted ship doesn't seem to be an option right now. 

I have tested making the same maneuver using sharp 2 turns instead of sharp 1 turns, but even with the Y-Wings starting at the VERY edge of the deployment zone (Range 1 or 10 cm deep) it is cutting it extremely close if you try to pull it off, the Y-Wings base will almost certainly grace and most likely exceed the back edge of the deployment zone and thus go down in a horrible inferno :-(

Anyways, I will keep fiddling about with my templates and most likely do more posts in here, hopefully stirring up some debate and ideas.

May the Force be with us all

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS