• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hello
I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the Arkham Horror's rules I couldn't clarify lurking on the Internet:

1 - When in the movement phase you're in the same location of a monster but you don't want to move, do you still have to evade/fight the moster? And if the monster is near a gate do you necessarily have to fight/evade it in order to be drown by the gate?

2 - Can you choose the max movement to do or it has to be the speed value and no less?

Thanks!

L.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Leper said:

Hello
I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the Arkham Horror's rules I couldn't clarify lurking on the Internet:

1 - When in the movement phase you're in the same location of a monster but you don't want to move, do you still have to evade/fight the moster? And if the monster is near a gate do you necessarily have to fight/evade it in order to be drown by the gate?

2 - Can you choose the max movement to do or it has to be the speed value and no less?

Thanks!

L.

Hi there!

Monsters are always dealt during the Movement phase. If you are in the same area of one or more monsters and decide not to move, you still have to deal with them. Hence, you don't move, but have to fight or evade them all in order to stay safe (in this way, monsters guarding gates become a problem in the round following the one you returned to Arkham from an OW).

Gates are entered in the Arkham encounters phase (Phase III)

Hence, if there are monsters guarding gates, you need to deal with them during Phase II (movement) and then you can enter the gate during Phase III

As for your second question, you canno choose the max move, but you can choose the min movement: at the beginning of the movement phase, you receive movement points equal to your speed, and then you decide how many (any, all, zero) of them you want to spend walking in the city or reading books

Hope this helps!

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Julia said:

Hi there!

Monsters are always dealt during the Movement phase. If you are in the same area of one or more monsters and decide not to move, you still have to deal with them. Hence, you don't move, but have to fight or evade them all in order to stay safe (in this way, monsters guarding gates become a problem in the round following the one you returned to Arkham from an OW).

Gates are entered in the Arkham encounters phase (Phase III)

Hence, if there are monsters guarding gates, you need to deal with them during Phase II (movement) and then you can enter the gate during Phase III

As for your second question, you canno choose the max move, but you can choose the min movement: at the beginning of the movement phase, you receive movement points equal to your speed, and then you decide how many (any, all, zero) of them you want to spend walking in the city or reading books

Hope this helps!

JULIA

Hi, and thanks!

If you win a fight against a monster guarding a gate, can you enter the gate in phase III or you are supposed to evade it like when you want to keep moving in the streets?

L.

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Leper said:

Hi, and thanks!

If you win a fight against a monster guarding a gate, can you enter the gate in phase III or you are supposed to evade it like when you want to keep moving in the streets?

L.

Not so sure I got your question, but I'll try to cover it anyway. If this is not what you were asking, sorry.

Let's say you are in Arkham, and you want to enter a gate, and there is a monster on a gate.

During Phase II, Movement, you move to the gate (clearly, you need to have enough movement points) and you deal with the monster, by fighting / evading the monster. If you are not driven insane / knowcked unconscious during the process, you end your movement over the gate

During Phase III, Encounters in Arkham, you enter the gate (and if during Phase II you managed to successfully evade the monster, then you don't have to deal with it again, because it's not Phase II any longer) and move to the first area of the corresponding Other World.

Let me know if this works for you :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Julia said:

Not so sure I got your question, but I'll try to cover it anyway. If this is not what you were asking, sorry.

Let's say you are in Arkham, and you want to enter a gate, and there is a monster on a gate.

During Phase II, Movement, you move to the gate (clearly, you need to have enough movement points) and you deal with the monster, by fighting / evading the monster. If you are not driven insane / knowcked unconscious during the process, you end your movement over the gate

During Phase III, Encounters in Arkham, you enter the gate (and if during Phase II you managed to successfully evade the monster, then you don't have to deal with it again, because it's not Phase II any longer) and move to the first area of the corresponding Other World.

Let me know if this works for you :-)

Yes, thank you. I thought I had to evade the monster without starting the fight in order to enter the gate, like when you want to keep moving after you have come accross a monster.

L.

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Glad it's clear now :-) If you have further questions, feel free to aks, there is always somebody here ready to help!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS