Photo

What do priests of Morr think of Amythest wizards?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

jh

#2 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Emirikol said:

jh

According to the books, Amythest wizards worship Morr as their patron god. Since they are an offical wizard school and it was the high elf mages that orginally taught this magic. Its likely not evil or against the Priests creed. 

It also says wizards respect life and death as the natural ending of life, they do not seek to prolong it like necromancers do

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

Well-quoted, but is dabbling with death and the spirits something that they would accept?

jh

#4 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

From the spell list comparing Moor spells to Amethyst spells. There doesnt seem to be any conflict

The only questionable spell is Caress of Laniph. it summons a spectral form to do damage. Doesnt seem to suggest its an undead.

The speaking to undead spell, Morr clerics could do that so it be safe as well

#5 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Excellent question. I often wondered about this same topic.

It must be a challenge for game developpers to create spell lists for each group seperately that aren't too similar.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I was wondering something while we're talking about Morrites:

Do you think it would be canon-friendly for some clerics of Morr to "voluntarily" remain as ghosts to protect shrines and holy sites?

I'm thinking of using this idea for an upcoming game where the Clerics protect a city's vast catacomb by allowing certain deceased monks to voluntarily "stay behind" as ghosts to forever watch over the place.

Considering how many european monks did very little else other than praying, chanting, meditating and sleeping, I guess it wouldn't be much of a change in routine LOL…

#6 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Emirikol said:

jh

I don't think there is any issue or conflict.  Amethyst wizards are only tangentially associated with "Death".  The manipulate Shyish, which is essentially Entropy, although often called "Death". 

A good description I read can be found here: http://warhammeronli...of_Magic#Shyish

to quote:

Shyish is the purple wind of magic, and is associated with the Lore of Death. The power of Shyish comes from the ending of things, the slow decline of the soul, and the certainty and terrible awe of death that all sentient creatures must face at some point. Shyish tells us that even though physical form must inevitably come to an end, creation is permanent, and there exist forces larger than our mortal selves that deserve respect and even reverence. Shyish is drawn to places where death must be faced, or where things are brought to an end. It blows strongly around battlefields, lingers around gallows and courts of justice, and hangs in the mournful silence around fresh graves. It is said to be strongest around times of obvious transition, when one state ends and another begins. Dawn and dusk are the most obvious examples of this, but also spring and autumn, and the equinoxes that mark the beginning of the end for winter and summer.

Really, what it comes down to is that Shyish, and therefore Amethyst wizards, are not working against the natural forces of nature.  It is not about avoiding death, nor manipulating or preventing the souls of the dead from moving on. 

Morr lords over the realm of the dead. His followers believe that death is a natural force. It is the manipulation of unnatural forces to avoid death, or the natural progression of the "soul", which Morr and his followers abhorr.  I.e, necromancy.  Morr is the caretaker of souls, and that is what he and his followers are primarily concerned with. 

An Amethyst wizard is not a necromancer.  Just like a priest of Morr is not a necromancer.  Unless a wizard (amethyst or not) is perfoming necromantic acts, the followers of Morr will have little conflict.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS