Flak armour for beginners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

So, there still seems to be flak vests and IG flak armor. Now I'm aware that IG flak armour comes in as many types as there are regimental homeworlds really but still I was expecting some of them to be statistically different.

The standard Cadian flak seems to have a noticably heavier chest armour that other regiments. I was expecting the Cadian pattern armour to have a higher armour on the chest or even be a good quality. sam with Elysians

Vostroyans only seem to get the carapace breastplate, I assume the rest of their uniforms were flak armor.

Also can't the Catachans aford some flak pants? How much for a flak bandana?

#2 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Face Eater said:

So, there still seems to be flak vests and IG flak armor. Now I'm aware that IG flak armour comes in as many types as there are regimental homeworlds really but still I was expecting some of them to be statistically different.

The standard Cadian flak seems to have a noticably heavier chest armour that other regiments. I was expecting the Cadian pattern armour to have a higher armour on the chest or even be a good quality. sam with Elysians

Vostroyans only seem to get the carapace breastplate, I assume the rest of their uniforms were flak armor.

Cadian flak armor is the same as any other, flak armor is mass produced via across the imperium to a standard (woefully ineffective). you have to realize in the  imperium the equipment a soldier carries is more valuble than the soldier themselves.

Voystroyans only get carapace breastplates, they dont get any other armor. what they get is what they are given, the rest is their uniform.

Catachans dont need flak armor, they rarely use it and see it as a hinderance to their movement in the dangerous terrain they fight in. Also flak Bandanna? it seems very ineffective to have something that will cover only such a small area.

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#3 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

On  a standard human [TB3] Flak turns average every day weapons into much less of a threat. Its another case of "wouldn't be bad at all were it not dealing with insane weaponry".

Guard Flak, for example; is a full-body AP4. Even without cover, standing in the open, a guardsman goes from taking 1d10 straight to his wounds from every lasgun, autogun or other similar weapons hits [1d10-1 min 0 from pistols] to 1d10-4 [-5 for most pistols]. Not only is there a 40% chance of doing nothing more than light burns or scratches you shrug off, if even that, but a slightly-above-average damage roll of 6 goes from three-shotting you to dealing a measly 2 wounds to that location.

Flak makes you virtually immune to knives as well. It will also keep the average frag grenade from sending you into the criticals, though its unlikely you'll escape being fairly wounded from the blast.

Its equal to mesh armor, which many demagogues or rogue traders not walking into a combat zone will gladly wear beneath their massive elaborate outfits. Just make sure to use those sandbags.

#4 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I thought the flak bandana line was gold.

#5 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Flak armour indeed does come in all shapes, forms and colours. Some regiments do not wear it at all. The generalised stats are the result of an attempt to squeeze the galaxy's most diverse fighting organisation ("the troopers may go to war in full battle-dress or little more than primitive armour and tribal tattoos" - 5E Codex IG) into a single P&P rulebook.

However, it is very easy (and fun!) to houserule any differences to a level you and the other players in your group would deem appropriate. For example …

Valhallan Flak
Armour: 3 AP (body, arms, legs)
Weight: 7 kg
Special Rules: Counts as poor weather gear, roll 1d5 for headgear

Table 1-1: Headgear
1-2: Garrison Cap (0 AP head)
3-4: Valhallan Ushanka (1 AP head)
5: Flak Helmet (2 AP head)

Kiton said:

Not only is there a 40% chance of doing nothing more than light burns or scratches you shrug off, if even that, but a slightly-above-average damage roll of 6 goes from three-shotting you to dealing a measly 2 wounds to that location. Flak makes you virtually immune to knives as well.
A good and a bad thing, depending on one's point of view. Though I would rather blame the way TB works in this system rather than the armour - and the issue becomes more of a concern with carapace or better…

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#6 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Its probably a matter of the damage vs wound count levels found on characters.

As things are, each point of armour or toughness [unless of course bypassed/penetrated/reduced obviously] has a significant impact because we have very few wounds and weapons deal damage relative to this.

If, for example, wound bases pre-diceroll were increased by 50% but all weapon outputs increased by ~30% [calculated from max-roll+bonus] we'd get very similar kill ratios from most weapons against 'appropriate' targets [those gaining the most are already deep in one-shot-kill territory anyways] and we'd likely want to marginally increase the relative boost of Variable Settings to compensate for their loss in % gain over normal shots, but we would significantly reduce the inability of the weakest weapons to deal with harder targets, given Toughness would have a bit less value to your survival [still plenty though].

For example, against a chaos marine's, say, 18 [now 25] a lasgun[now 1d10+5] with the +1/+0 [now +2/+0] of overcharge can now cause one point of damage and thus righteous fury effects, while Overload [now +3/+2;pens would not be changed just damage and variable's boosts] can cause 4, while it used to be where overcharge is now.

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Robomummy said:

Voystroyans only get carapace breastplates, they dont get any other armor. what they get is what they are given, the rest is their uniform.

This isn't what my copy of Only War says. According to page 57, they get flak armour and a Good Craftsmanship carapace breastplate.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#8 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Face Eater said:

Catachans should have flak trousers and vests. I am not talking about the wifebeaters, but the combat vests with pockets that many (but, stupidly, not all) of them wear.

I personally take the standard flak armour to look like the older Cadian armour, without the weird upper torso breast plate of the new one (but even the older stuff looks like they have a carrier for some sort of plate on the front of their jacket). I would personally say if you were going full "simulationist" on it that Cadians could possible benefit from an additional 1 armour to their torso.

However, as said, Flak armour is actually not to be sneezed at in 40k RPG (unlike the table top where anything better than a 4+ is really not worth talking about).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS