Melisandre's scheme vs fear of winter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Melisandre's Scheme: You may play [Baratheon] characters out of your discard pile during the marshalling phase as if they were in your hand.

Fear of Winter: Each player cannot play or put into play more than 1 card from his or her hand until you reveal a new plot card.

Does Melisandre's Scheme ignore the Fear of Winter restriction?

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Slothgodfather said:

Does Melisandre's Scheme ignore the Fear of Winter restriction?
No. 

You are equating playing Bara characters in your discard pile with playing them from your hand. So anything that limits what you can do from hand will limit what you can do with this plot, too.

#3 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

That was my intial thought but had another player challenge it.   Thanks.

#4 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

If they were in your hand, you would be restricted from playing them. Therefore, allowing them to be played from your discard would NOT be playing them "as if they were in your hand." It would be using a standard Marshalling action to play a card from your discard pile, which Melisandre's Schemes does not allow you to do. If it did (as a replacement effect), you would be restricted to only playing characters from your discard as it would've replaced the standard Marshalling action with this new "from discard" marshalling action. If it did (as adding a new type of action) the "as if it were in your hand" wording would be unnecessary (see my last paragraph).

The game does not allow you to play cards from the discard pile as a Marshalling action. Melisandre's Schemes tricks the game into thinking the card is in your hand. If the game thinks it's in your hand, Fear of Winter applies. Whether or not it would be legal to play out of the discard pile (it would because it's not actually coming out of your hand), the game will never allow you to initiate the action as it thinks the card is originating from your hand.

Now if you're going with the designer's being lazy and not putting, "you may play characters from your discard pile by paying their gold cost", and whatever additional necessary text to actually allow the bypass of Fear of Winter I would agree.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

mdc273 said:

Now if you're going with the designer's being lazy and not putting, "you may play characters from your discard pile by paying their gold cost", and whatever additional necessary text to actually allow the bypass of Fear of Winter I would agree.
More likely, the designers did not set out to create a card that bypassed Fear of Winter, but rather set out to create a card that allowed recursion of discarded Baratheon characters that still interacted with "play"-based effects - in which case, the card is worded perfectly.

#6 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Can I delete my thread for stupidity? I totally misread your first post… Sigh… Though the logic actually stands, LoL.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS