Photo

How do Ship-Bound Fighter and Marksman interact?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ship-Found Fighter is a Trait possessed by characters with the Battlefleet Home World from the Origin Path. The relevant text:

Ship-Bound Fighter: Living and training on a spacecraft is vastly different than living and training on the ground. Because of the close-in nature of ships, Battlefleet characters are unaccustomed to fighting in open spaces or on the “dirtside” of planets. While they are on a planet they suffer a –2 penalty to Initiative Tests and double the Ballistic Skill penalty for firing weapons at Long Range or greater. These penalties don’t apply to the character if they are inside a tunnel or other confined space.  Into the Storm, page 12.

Marskman is the Talent that removes the penalties for firing at Long and Extreme Range. The relevant text:

Marksman
Prerequisites: Ballistic Skill 35
The Explorer’s steady hand and eagle eye allows him to keep crosshairs steady on any target, regardless of range. Distance is no protection against his fire. The Explorer suffers no penalties for Ballistic Skill Tests at long or extended range. Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, page 102.

so, does this mean that a character with both Ship-Bound Fighter and Marksman would suffer no penalties from range since no penalties = 0 and double that is still 0?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Asajev

Asajev

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think you would be correct from a mechanical stand point. However I would say that though he is a great marksman it only would apply in close enviroments or I would have the character have to readjust his aim. This of course is not rules but rather flavor due to the nature of the enviroment the person developed in his vision while perfect or above the norm for his origin is still limited due to living in close quarters. If I as a GM had to make a rule then I would say that the range categories are double what it would normally be. Just rough numbers if it was 10m/20m.40m for the weapon then at those ranges he has no problem but if the enemy is at 41m/80m/160m with the same weapon then ship-bound would kick in. I know I explained it strangely but just telling you how I would rule it in my game. Consider it a House Rule if you want.

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Ship-Bound Fighter gives a penalty to Long-range or greater.

Marksman removes all penalties for Long-range or Extended-range.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Fgdsfg said:

Technicality: Ship-Bound Fighter increases the penalties for long range or greater.

To clairify, are you suggesting that a character with both suffers no penalties at long range or greater (Marsman will trump Ship-Bound Fighter)?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

HappyDaze said:

Fgdsfg said:

Technicality: Ship-Bound Fighter increases the penalties for long range or greater.

To clairify, are you suggesting that a character with both suffers no penalties at long range or greater (Marsman will trump Ship-Bound Fighter)?

Judging by the wording and terminology alone, yeah. It does say "suffers no penalties".

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#6 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Shipbound fighter is from your origins, marksman is training to overcome a weakness in a certain area. I would rule that training trumps origin. Also from my reading, RaW says marksman trumps it anyway.

#7 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

If that happened in my game I would rule that ship bound and marksman cancel each other out, and thus leave the player with normal range penalties.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS