• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hello,

I never see anyone take any of the Tie Advanced generic guys.  Why is that?  Oh, I have heard of people taking just 4 Tie Advanced, but I mean just one Tie Advanced that isn't a named.  There is one that is a duplicate of the Rookie Xwing (Tempest Squadron) and another of Red Squad (Storm Squadron). Yes, they only have 2 attack dice, but 3 dodge dice and more manuevers.  They also have the option for missiles.  

Are they worth taking?  Do you HAVE to use the missiles to make it worth it?  It seems to me that you need the missiles to maximize, but you don't have to have them.  They are just sturdier Tie Fighters that way.  Their movement is slightly different, but not worse.  It's also nice not to be pilot 1.  

Thanks for input!

#2 magi

magi

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

There is a useful list that uses Vader along with a second generic TIE Adv., both with Concussion Missles, and then some TIE ln's. You fire the missles first turn and try to take down one of your opponent's ships before he can get a good shot on you.

Generally, though, the more maneuverable and cheaper TIE ln's are a better option. You can get some good pilots for the same cost as you would a generic TIE Adv.

#3 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Tie In. are not out yet, though.  So, I am to do without them.  

To be honest, I only have one Tie Advanced.  I was thinking of taking it WITHOUT Darth Vader.  Go with some decent named Tie Fighters and a generic Advanced.  

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that was TIE/ln (as in "L") - the standard TIE fighter.

#5 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

I used Vader and the 21 point one in my Kessel Run tourny. I had swarm tactics on vader so the 2 of them were always the first attacks in a round.

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

heychadwick said:

Hello,

I never see anyone take any of the Tie Advanced generic guys.  Why is that?  Oh, I have heard of people taking just 4 Tie Advanced, but I mean just one Tie Advanced that isn't a named.  There is one that is a duplicate of the Rookie Xwing (Tempest Squadron) and another of Red Squad (Storm Squadron). Yes, they only have 2 attack dice, but 3 dodge dice and more manuevers.  They also have the option for missiles.  

Are they worth taking?  Do you HAVE to use the missiles to make it worth it?  It seems to me that you need the missiles to maximize, but you don't have to have them.  They are just sturdier Tie Fighters that way.  Their movement is slightly different, but not worse.  It's also nice not to be pilot 1.  

Thanks for input!

So the generic TIE Advanced offer two major advantages over the basic TIE: shields and the ability to bring missiles. 

As far as durability goes, the problem is that for the cost of one Tempest Squadron Pilot you can almost afford two Academy Pilots, which have similar durability but come with an extra attack. That's the biggest strike against the generic Advanced: basically you can buy 2 shields or you can buy another whole ship.

So that brings us to the missiles, which do set the Advanced apart from the vanilla TIE/ln. If the ability to bring Concussion Missiles along makes it worth the 2:1 trade, then you should run the Advanced; otherwise, you should run the regular TIEs. 

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

The other big difference is the speed 1 maneuvers. TIE advanced can bank at speed one but the TIE fighter can turn. It may not be something you think of right at first. You can't really call it good or bad because it depends on your play style. The TIE advanced ability to bank 1 has allowed me to get into good firing positions outside the opponent's firing arc when I use the Barrel Roll action. It's a little trickier with TIE fighters because they bank at speed 2, which often bypasses the target, the way I fly.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

The best list for a unnamed Tie Advance.  Vader with Swarm Tactics and Concussion Missle.  Tempest (skill 2 advance pilot) with Concussion Missile.  Black Squad with Squad Leader.  Two Acadamy Pilots.  If played right Vader and the Tempest should both a have a target lock, focus, and skill nine when they launch their missile.  I will let you figure out how that is done.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS