Jump to content



Photo

Fatigue / Raise Dead / Fury of Undeath / "Exhaust" & " -→"


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gaarge

gaarge

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

 

Please can the group clarify a few things:

1.       Fatigue can be used to gain MP.  Is this useable only if the action is a movement action, or can it be used in conjunction with any other action?  Do the fatigue points have to be used at any specific time during the turn?

2.       I have some questions regarding “Raise Dead” and “Fury of Undeath” (Widow Tarha skills):

a.       Raise Dead: “-->: Place your Reanimate familiar token in a space adjacent to you.”  You may only control 1 Reanimate at a time.  You may discard your Reanimate token at any time during your turn.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

How many times during an encounter may this card be used?  I understand this to be a one-off card which stays “tapped” until the next encounter.

b.      Fury of Undeath:  “-->: Exhaust this card to activate your Reanimate.  Your Reanimate still activates this turn as normal.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

Based on my assumption that “Raise Dead” was only useable once per encounter, I drew the conclusion that this card’s purpose was to bring my Reanimate onto the board for a second and final time.  If my understanding for Raise Dead is wrong, however, I am unsure what the function of this card is…

Generally speaking, I would also like some confirmation on what “exhaust” and “-->” mean in this game, and if their meanings are ironclad and there are no exceptions.  Our group have developed a few heresies, I feel…



#2 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

gaarge said:

 

1.       Fatigue can be used to gain MP.  Is this useable only if the action is a movement action, or can it be used in conjunction with any other action?  Do the fatigue points have to be used at any specific time during the turn?

2.       I have some questions regarding “Raise Dead” and “Fury of Undeath” (Widow Tarha skills):

a.       Raise Dead: “-->: Place your Reanimate familiar token in a space adjacent to you.”  You may only control 1 Reanimate at a time.  You may discard your Reanimate token at any time during your turn.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

How many times during an encounter may this card be used?  I understand this to be a one-off card which stays “tapped” until the next encounter.

b.      Fury of Undeath:  “-->: Exhaust this card to activate your Reanimate.  Your Reanimate still activates this turn as normal.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

Based on my assumption that “Raise Dead” was only useable once per encounter, I drew the conclusion that this card’s purpose was to bring my Reanimate onto the board for a second and final time.  If my understanding for Raise Dead is wrong, however, I am unsure what the function of this card is…

Generally speaking, I would also like some confirmation on what “exhaust” and “-->” mean in this game, and if their meanings are ironclad and there are no exceptions.  Our group have developed a few heresies, I feel…

 

 

#1: Any action.

#2: Arrow on a skill means it takes 1 action to use it and you can use it as many times as you are able to (have stamina to burn, meet the requirements for using it). You're confusing arrow on a skill with Heroic Feats, which are once per encounter. So Tarha, with the normal 2 actions a hero gets, could use Raise Dead as her first action, then Fury of Undeath as her second, activating the Reanimate, then get the free activation of Reanimate after that. Of course, that means Tarha herself does nothing (but take 2 fatigue) on that turn.

Arrow + exhaust means you can only use it once per turn, since while it only takes 1 action, it is exhausted, so until you refresh start of your hero's next turn, can't use it again.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

gaarge said:

 

1.       Fatigue can be used to gain MP.  Is this useable only if the action is a movement action, or can it be used in conjunction with any other action?  Do the fatigue points have to be used at any specific time during the turn?

 

 

Spending a fatigue to gain an MP is an ability a hero may use at any time during his turn.  It is not associated to the Move Action, or any other action for that matter.  It can be used before and/or after any action, as many times as the hero can afford to spend fatigue points.

The MPs gained from these fatigue may also be spend at any point during the hero's turn.  They need not be spent immediately after gaining them.  They need not be spent at all - although they will be lost at the end of the hero's turn, and that would be a waste of fatigue.

gaarge said:

 

2.       I have some questions regarding “Raise Dead” and “Fury of Undeath” (Widow Tarha skills):

a.       Raise Dead: “-->: Place your Reanimate familiar token in a space adjacent to you.”  You may only control 1 Reanimate at a time.  You may discard your Reanimate token at any time during your turn.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

How many times during an encounter may this card be used?  I understand this to be a one-off card which stays “tapped” until the next encounter.

 

 

The action symbol does not imply "tapping" the card.  Your friends have perhaps been playing too much Magic: the Gathering. =P

Raise Dead can be used as many times as the Necromancer has actions (and fatigue) to spend on it.  He/She could do it twice in the same turn if he really wanted to.

The only abilities that are limited to "once per encounter" are the Heroic Feat abilities of each hero.

gaarge said:

 

b.      Fury of Undeath:  “-->: Exhaust this card to activate your Reanimate.  Your Reanimate still activates this turn as normal.”  Costs 1 fatigue.

Based on my assumption that “Raise Dead” was only useable once per encounter, I drew the conclusion that this card’s purpose was to bring my Reanimate onto the board for a second and final time.  If my understanding for Raise Dead is wrong, however, I am unsure what the function of this card is…

"Exhaust" is mechanically equivalent to "tapping."  (I think the rules technically tell you to flip the card face down rather than rotate it sideways, but you get the idea.)  Exhausted cards are refreshed ("untapped") at the start of the hero's next turn.

Because Fury requires an action AND exhausts the card, it may only be used once per turn, and it will consume one of the hero's actions for the turn.

 

gaarge said:

 

Generally speaking, I would also like some confirmation on what “exhaust” and “-->” mean in this game, and if their meanings are ironclad and there are no exceptions.  Our group have developed a few heresies, I feel…

 

"Exhaust" means the card is "used up" and cannot be used again until it is refreshed.  Cards generally refresh at the beginning of the hero's next turn.  There are a few cards which have additional effects while the card is exhausted.  These effects can only be used when the card is exhausted, and not while it is refreshed.  Of course, it's usually pretty easy for a hero to make sure such cards stay exhausted whenever he wants the effects thereof.

"-->" (the arrow symbol) means that the ability described requires one of the hero's two actions for the turn.  There is no limit on the number of times that this ability can be used, unless the text of the ability says there is.  Most heroes have only two actions per turn, so there's a natural limit of twice per turn that such abilities could theoretically be used.

Requiring an action does not imply exhausting the card, nor does exhausting a card imply it requires an action.

 

Edit: my post appears to have exploded.  Sorry about that.



#4 Shalmaneser

Shalmaneser

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for illuminating replies. I'm Gaarge's Overlord, and am now apparently doomed to drown under the weight of endless reanimates.

Does this mean that the arrow and 'exhaust' should be considered interchangable?

 

And yes, we did play too much Magic together when we were kids…



#5 gaarge

gaarge

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Dam, Steve-O,

Thanks very much for your answers.  My suspicions have been confirmed.  You can imagine how careful I have been with my Reanimate!  I should say though, that in spite of our groups misunderstanding, our games were not so imbalanced, and our heroes were still able to win encounters.

One more question:

If a hero runs out of fatigue points, may the hero begin using health points to gain movement?  Or is this exchange only possible when fatigue loss is forced on the hero by the overlord?

Thanks very much,

Gaarge 



#6 gaarge

gaarge

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

Shalmaneser said:

Thanks for illuminating replies. I'm Gaarge's Overlord, and am now apparently doomed to drown under the weight of endless reanimates.

Does this mean that the arrow and 'exhaust' should be considered interchangable?

 

And yes, we did play too much Magic together when we were kids…

How did you find me???



#7 Shalmaneser

Shalmaneser

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

you emailed me the link you turnip



#8 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Shalmaneser said:

Does this mean that the arrow and 'exhaust' should be considered interchangable?

First off, as long as the Necro has stamina to spend, yes, killing the Reanimate only costs one action + stamina to bring back.

Second, actual answer to the question, no.

Arrow = costs an action.

Exhaust = "tap" 

Example of the latter would be Disciple's Prayer of Healing, which is Exhaust but no arrow, meaning as long as the Disciple has stamina, each turn he can use the Prayer, exhausting it, but without having to spend either of his two actions for the turn.

If a hero is at full fatigue, he can't activate any skills that require stamina to spend, you can't pay extra, but if the OL forces you to suffer fatigue, you take 1 wound for each fatigue you'd suffer. That's when you need the Rest action (or Stamina Potion).


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#9 Rico

Rico

    Member

  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Note that if you use a rest action that you gain the rested stamina at the END of your turn. So, no spending all your fatigue and resting to use it again in the same turn.

 

Also, Fury of Undeath is basically trading one of the Necro's actions to allow the Reanimate to "go twice" that round. Raise Dead summons it to existance on the board.



#10 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Shalmaneser said:

Thanks for illuminating replies. I'm Gaarge's Overlord, and am now apparently doomed to drown under the weight of endless reanimates.

Well, it does cost the Necro an action to put the Reanimate on the map.  If he's doing that every turn, he only has one "real" action to do anything else with, and that's not nothing.  Actions are probably a hero's most valuable resource in the game.  Knowing how to spend them is important.  And for the OL, knowing how to make the heroes waste them is equally important.

Shalmaneser said:

Does this mean that the arrow and 'exhaust' should be considered interchangable?

No, they are not interchangeable, they are completely different things.  Perhaps you forgot a "not" in there somewhere? =)

gaarge said:

If a hero runs out of fatigue points, may the hero begin using health points to gain movement?  Or is this exchange only possible when fatigue loss is forced on the hero by the overlord?

No, a hero can never voluntarily suffer fatigue in excess of his Stamina rating, for MPs or for anything else.  He can be forced to suffer fatigue in excess by various involuntary effects (generally OL effects), but he cannot choose to do so.



#11 gaarge

gaarge

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

 

Thanks very much, guys.  We finished our first game last night.  Thanks to the above understanding of the rules the heroes managed to pull off a victory.  Understanding arrows and exhaust really is quite essential.  

 



#12 JohnMill

JohnMill

    Member

  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Steve-O said:

No, a hero can never voluntarily suffer fatigue in excess of his Stamina rating, for MPs or for anything else.  He can be forced to suffer fatigue in excess by various involuntary effects (generally OL effects), but he cannot choose to do so.

 

This is true in all but 1 cases:

--Enduring the Elements--

"Mud: Any heroes that are adjacent to a figure with this ability must suffer 1fatigue in order to perform an action. If this would take the hero past his Stamina, he may instead suffer 1damage to perform an action. If this would defeat the hero, he cannot perform the action."

 

As far as I know, this is the only case in which a hero can voluntarily suffer fatigue in excess of his Stamina.



#13 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

JohnMill said:

--Enduring the Elements--

"Mud: Any heroes that are adjacent to a figure with this ability must suffer 1fatigue in order to perform an action. If this would take the hero past his Stamina, he may instead suffer 1damage to perform an action. If this would defeat the hero, he cannot perform the action."

This is a quest-specific rule.  I was speaking of the general rules.  There are plenty of examples of quest-specific rules that provide exceptions to the general rules.  In fact, that's basically the entire purpose of quest-specific rules.

If you want to count quest-specific rules in this discussion, then we can't say anything definitively about any rule, because FFG is still actively publishing new quests.  We literally do not have access to all of the rules yet, counting quest-specific rules, nor will we ever have complete rules until 2E goes OOP.

Even after FFG stops publishing 2E, there will always the possibility of fans contributing new homebrew quests with their own special rules, which are really just as valid as official FFG quest-specific rules in that they apply to the quest they appear in, and nowhere else.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS