Next Expansion for Talisman

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 WombatMan

WombatMan

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Now that The City has gone on sale, we now have expansions for all corners, except via either the Village or the Forest (The Dungeon via the Ruins, The Highlands via The Crags and now The City via The City corner space).  We also have the expansion for the Dragons Tower / Dragon Realm for the inner region.

What do you want the next expansion to be?

Do you want a big box expansion (either The Forest Realm via The Forest or one based on The Village) or another small box expansion?

WombatMan

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

I really hope the next expansion is a small expansion and that it further employs main concepts of Talisman, such as FATE and how or what uses each side might bring. I would like this tied into Gods, Demigods theme, as FATE seems to be the province of such beings, no?

But the big, next corner, well, I wonder if we'll be surprized somehow. (village over forest, or with limited forest).

As the City is rather different from Dungeon and Highlands' boards, I hope that maybe this continues with the 4th board.

An idea I have is having the most adjacent spaces, the 3, 4 or so that "corner" that spot where Village is, be a sort of extended village. Village's are less ordered than a City, so perhaps there's a Village Square where suspected Witches or other evil doers are put in stocks… or hung even.  I imagine the possible tie ins with Day/Night mechanic could be interesting.

Maybe an advanced Blacksmith/repair shop for "upgrading" equipment?  Mystics' Council, where Good magic users are welcome.

But the remainder of the board could be a Forest and rather than one path through it to the end, maybe it could be free form, directionless. This would be some challenge to game mechanics perhaps, but might offer new possibilities.

Of course I would also like, maybe, a forest path that moves towards the center of the board - and either a whirlppool or waterfalls that has a portal to take you back to main board sites or whatever.

#3 bjbram

bjbram

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

next corner expansion will prolly be Space themed just as past editions.

#4 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

0beron said:

I really hope the next expansion is a small expansion and that it further employs main concepts of Talisman, such as FATE and how or what uses each side might bring. I would like this tied into Gods, Demigods theme, as FATE seems to be the province of such beings, no?

The introduction of Light/Dark fate rules is in the air, although I'm not very fond of it. Let's see if and how it will be developed. The idea of deities is ok but the concept of good vs. evil and supernatural forces has already been treated in Sacred Pool.

As I wrote in another thread, I wish they could release an expansion with a heroic fantasy theme, à la Conan the Barbarian. An expansion with an anti-magic feeling, with a lot of cards to punish the vile magic users. The previous expansions have already added an incredible amount of bonuses for spellcasters, from powerful Spells to ways to gain Spells. The same expansion might be a good occasion to release the Barbarian, the Pirate and other missing characters, all with new abilities.

0beron said:
But the big, next corner, well, I wonder if we'll be surprized somehow. (village over forest, or with limited forest).

As the City is rather different from Dungeon and Highlands' boards, I hope that maybe this continues with the 4th board.

An idea I have is having the most adjacent spaces, the 3, 4 or so that "corner" that spot where Village is, be a sort of extended village. Village's are less ordered than a City, so perhaps there's a Village Square where suspected Witches or other evil doers are put in stocks… or hung even.  I imagine the possible tie ins with Day/Night mechanic could be interesting.

Maybe an advanced Blacksmith/repair shop for "upgrading" equipment?  Mystics' Council, where Good magic users are welcome.

But the remainder of the board could be a Forest and rather than one path through it to the end, maybe it could be free form, directionless. This would be some challenge to game mechanics perhaps, but might offer new possibilities.

Of course I would also like, maybe, a forest path that moves towards the center of the board - and either a whirlppool or waterfalls that has a portal to take you back to main board sites or whatever.

I wasn't sure that the City would be released; now that it happened, I think there's still a possibility to have a sea-based expansion, but this won't be the next corner as it won't fit at all. Maybe a sea expansion could be released as a separate small board like Timescape. I don't think we miss Timescape, do we?

The more I play Talisman, the more I feel that there's little or no presence of the forces of nature. There are woodland characters like Druid, Sprite, Leprechaun and Elf, but since Reaper Expansion fairies and dryads have been diluted by a huge amount of other things. There's a need for a big place to encounter more Animals, Elves, Fairies and all the popular woodland creatures, including big monsters and spirits. I believe a Forest Expansion is the only way to go.

I don't have many clues about new mechanics to be introduced with Forest expansion. It's better not to mess up with movement too much, as it will always generate questions; the path should be the same as the Dungeon and Highland. I don't mind that, as it works fine. No new decks are needed except a Forest deck and a final reward deck, but I would like a place like the Warlock's cave, where you may receive a reward if you discard a whole lot of things. Discard a certain amount of Gold, 5-7 points of Trophies, Objects, Followers, Life, Fate, Spells and receive a bonus to a die roll and see how you are rewarded by Mother Nature or something like that. That could be a different way to get rewards instead of fighting another big boss.

#5 halo572

halo572

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

bjbram said:

next corner expansion will prolly be Space themed just as past editions.

What I would have thought.  I don't have Timescape, the only 1st edition expansion I never bothered with as it was so not in keeping with the game.

I was looking at it on ebay a couple of days ago, but even now don't want it even to complete.

If you had a dimension expansion you wouldn't necessarily be limited to a board square, you could just have a portal card or some such to access what could be a standalone board.

#6 pyrefly1986

pyrefly1986

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I was thinking /hoping  for a necropolis off the graveyard :)

• blaqmetalik likes this

#7 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

pyrefly1986 said:

I was thinking /hoping  for a necropolis off the graveyard :)

Please tell us more about your vision.

#8 pyrefly1986

pyrefly1986

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I was thinking of perhaps a Barvoian/Castle Strahd  kind a of place …filled with monsters that are of the undead persuasions… liches , vampires, ghouls…  the map maybe would lead you up and into the castle (I'm thinking a one/two way path like ctity maybe, the "safe" road through the graveyard and mausoleums or a hazardous path along the treachous cliffs) where a truly terrible " Lord of the Necropolis" sits (my vision is a Lich…nothing says ultimate evil like a Lich, and maybe there is a phylactery thing, like the talisman) …. And I'm thinking a power lvl on par or above the dungeon… this maybe to be a new way (or alternate) of ending the game… and  just spit balling maybe some squares summon monsters from the other boards and if landed upon and gives them a nasty bonus…" if landed upon find the most powerful spirit on the boards and summon to this location and it gets a +3 to it's craft in battle"… or perhaps evil  characters and monsters get bonuses like the day time effects… and good or neutral would suffer in this land …that doesn't sound very fair or balanced…but maybe once a evil person enters that board he can't leave it or once he leaves the board he is drained permantly of 3 strength and craft…. Oh! what if  a section for demons or devils who manipulate the course of the game… land here and you must make a pact for the players "soul" (gives 5 gold 1 item from any character) over to the devils or they send you back to your start location… Perhaps the soul thing is too un-PC a thing to say…perhaps sign a pact with the forces or evil (you become evil)… perhaps evil people cant fight the necropolis "king", evil players can't  win by going down this path but they could get poewerful items or harrass the other players as they try for that victory and they have the advanage in this land (being evil and all), that might encourage more PVP antics in the game : ) … those are some of my ideas….

#9 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I am pretty sure it's going to be a forest expansion. I do not believe FFG dare to do anything different.

The 3rd edition Forest had a weight on craft but at the same time the 3rd edition Dungeon had a weight on strength which isn't the case in 4th edition. The purpose of Forest is thus still up in the air.

#10 aisrham

aisrham

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

and apart from this, there are some predict that draw their expansions in other languages ??(Spanish, French, German …)? English not only communicates the man.
thanks and regards.

#11 guciomir

guciomir

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

FFG does not release other languages. You need to ask your local company. For example in poland, Galakta is translating FFG games and releases them.

#12 tarasis

tarasis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

I'd prefer the Forest corner over something like Timescape (never played it but also had no interest in it). The Sea idea could be interesting too.

#13 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I liked the Timescape back in the '80s. Since everything else has improved in the 4th edition, I'd like to think that Timescape could be made better.

My wife didn't care for it as much, but it was not total hatred for her.

At any rate, I'd rather see *another dimension* as a fantasy/necropolis/Spiritual Realms-good and evil/ etc.

Having said that, I don't think I want to see that other dimension as a corner board. Maybe it could be another Inner Realm alternate like the Dragon one is?  I favor Forest - with many surprizes, for a 4th board.

#14 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

If there ever is a Timescape expansion for 4th edition, it's likely to come in last and be considered Talismans answer to Carcassonne The Catapult.

#15 Patriarch

Patriarch

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

The thing is, Talisman players can already scratch the "space" itch with the Relic game.

A sea expansion sounds likes a really interesting idea though.

#16 Johonasen

Johonasen

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Pyrefly1986,

My Roommate and I completed just such a Nekropolis Expansion (full board corner expansion) about 4 months ago and have been playtesting it.  We hope to post it in homebrews by the end of the week or next week at the latest.  6 new characters.  10 item treasure deck, Undead Lich Lord trying to become a Demon end boss, 45 new Spells, and over 200 Nekropolis Adventure Cards, several new endings.  I think if you take a look you will be impressed (developers at FFG sure were). 

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

The next region board should be the Forest.

A place where spirits are living, and a lot of animals, fairies, and other forest creatures.

I think it should be a middle level board. The same as the highland,

I hope that we get a Barbarian character in the next expansion.

A sort of Conan theme, with berserkers, evil mages,dark knights on horses etc :)

#18 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Velhart said:

A sort of Conan theme, with berserkers, evil mages,dark knights on horses etc :)

Really? We're sharing the same hope this time my friend sonreir

Ok for the evil mages, they often show up in Conan novels, but what do you think about

1) some Events/Strangers/Places that make you lose Spells or punish you for having Spells (something like lose 1 Life if you have at least 1 Spell, just as a Storm Caller for Armour)

2) some Object/Followers that protect you from Spells and/or prevent you from casting Spells?

3) some additional "counterspells"?

Not that I'm saying that mages and warlocks are less powerful in a Conan-like setting, but they usually get crushed by "brutish" characters like the Barbarian.

#19 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Velhart said:

Really? We're sharing the same hope this time my friend sonreir

Ok for the evil mages, they often show up in Conan novels, but what do you think about

1) some Events/Strangers/Places that make you lose Spells or punish you for having Spells (something like lose 1 Life if you have at least 1 Spell, just as a Storm Caller for Armour)

2) some Object/Followers that protect you from Spells and/or prevent you from casting Spells?

3) some additional "counterspells"?

Not that I'm saying that mages and warlocks are less powerful in a Conan-like setting, but they usually get crushed by "brutish" characters like the Barbarian.

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Conan type Barbarians… Check!

Evil mages … Check!

What else?  Oh, say some Eldritch/Elder Chtulu type evil suprem0 beings?

Other than that, I'm with you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS