Colonies in Asteroid Fields

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Asajev

Asajev

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hi guys I just got my copy of Stars of Inequity and was reading thorugh it and one thought came to my mind of Hive Cities Clustered in a depleted Asteroid Field. So you have some context of the vision I have each Hive level colony would be a parallel of an O'Neal Colony of course in 40k scale. I understand that this is more a role play element what I am going to ask but I want your opinion on how one could due it inside the 40k realm. I was thinking of an Agricultural Colony if Industrial Facilities to mass produce unique kinds of organics. Is it with in the realm of possiblities to have a deep space agricultural colony in your opinion? In my game world it is alrady to the point that my players are starting to sketch concepts for how it should look but like I said I want some help in making it fit the 40k context.

#2 Asajev

Asajev

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I just found an example of what they would use as a baseline and mod it to fit the 40k  universe.

Image of Space Colony

#3 Asajev

Asajev

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Here I have a draft of the star system we will be colonizing it will be updated as I add fluff to it.

#4 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Are they of recent (Imperium age) or Archeotech origin.  The Imperium doesn't often build such things, but it sounds and looks like something that might have survived from the Dark Age of Technology.

#5 DigitalRedneck

DigitalRedneck

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

WilliamAsher said:

Are they of recent (Imperium age) or Archeotech origin.  The Imperium doesn't often build such things, but it sounds and looks like something that might have survived from the Dark Age of Technology.

My first thoughts were along these lines. Then I started with a bunch of "what if" type scenarios. What if all the colonies are inside hollowed out and extensively modified asteroids? Could the Mechanicus undertake such an endeavor?  Or, what if the whole colony was a Mechanicus funded experiment of some kind.. Perhaps an experiment with a near heretical Mechanicus sect at the helm?  I like the fact the idea is unique yet fits well into the W40k concept. 

Tons of possibilities here. I have a game getting started that's going into deep and uncharted space. This concept is awesomely suited for having a unique local for the PCs. I dig it. 

#6 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Lathe Worlds are supported by hundreds of orbital agri-stations, so I think the answer is yes, this sort of thing already exists in-system and is not beyond the capabilities of the modern Imperium. (I believe that the Lathe Worlds were built some time after the Macharian Crusade, which puts them more than a few centuries before Rogue Trader is officially set, but still well after the Dark Age and whatnot.)

#7 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

susanbrindle said:

I'm pretty sure that the Lathe Worlds are supported by hundreds of orbital agri-stations, so I think the answer is yes, this sort of thing already exists in-system and is not beyond the capabilities of the modern Imperium. (I believe that the Lathe Worlds were built some time after the Macharian Crusade, which puts them more than a few centuries before Rogue Trader is officially set, but still well after the Dark Age and whatnot.)

The novel Enforcer takes place in the Hydraphurian system, a hive-world in the center of a solar system with a whopping population of 130 BILLION people. This population density is supported by the fact that the orbit, nearby moons, and several other planets in the system have been heavily settled, with asteroidal colonies included.

Yeah, asteroid bases seem tots fine.

Hell, in the core book, Wayfarer stations last practically forever.

#8 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

I kind of assumed Asteroid Hives were already a thing in WH40K.   In fact my rogue trader character is looking to seek out a pirate base built on these grounds in order to take it over as his own base.

The Imperium has at its disposal the ability to create or at least renovate most mega-structures you can think of (with the possible exception of the really large stuff like Dyson Spheres or the Web Way).

#9 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Visitor Q said:

I kind of assumed Asteroid Hives were already a thing in WH40K.   In fact my rogue trader character is looking to seek out a pirate base built on these grounds in order to take it over as his own base.

The Imperium has at its disposal the ability to create or at least renovate most mega-structures you can think of (with the possible exception of the really large stuff like Dyson Spheres or the Web Way).

I see no technical reason why the Imperium would be unable to build a Dyson Sphere. I think it is more a matter of them not having the social and economical fortitude or cohesion to do so, coupled with of course a complete disinterest in original thought - to the point where it would be borderline heretical.

After all, we are on the verge of possessing the capabilities of building a dyson sphere *ourselves*, in the year 2013, over the course of a mere few centuries (if that, I don't remember the figures, but at most, we're still talking centuries). Of course, where we would use automization, the Imperium would simply throw people at it until it's complete, but in either case, the end result would be a Dyson Sphere.

Kinda makes me imagine if there's any Dark Mechanicus projects out there for a Dyson Sphere. I am imagining a scenario that would be a mix between Halo - except encompassing a full sphere around a sun, rather than just a ring - and the movie Event Horizon.

In the depth of space, dark in the void, black, unmoving, uncaring, it sits. Silently. And when you enter, it is not a sun that powers this superstructure, it is not a star that gives it warming glare to the world - mountains, valleys, rivers, factoriums, facilities - but a supermassive Gravity Drive. The entirety of the population inside driven mad for centuries, degenerate.

Uh.. sorry for getting sidetracked there.

But yeah; Asteroid Colonies, Hivelike Voidstations, Hollowed-Out Astroids/Meteroids - definitely possible. If you can build near-self-sufficient voidstations in the middle of nowhere with populations in the millions, you can certainly build agricultural and mining colonies in an asteroid field.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#10 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Take a close look at Footfall in the RT fluff. Not much different (If at all) from your Idea so I'd say yeah! Very feasible!

#11 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Fgdsfg said:

Visitor Q said:

I see no technical reason why the Imperium would be unable to build a Dyson Sphere. I think it is more a matter of them not having the social and economical fortitude or cohesion to do so, coupled with of course a complete disinterest in original thought - to the point where it would be borderline heretical.

After all, we are on the verge of possessing the capabilities of building a dyson sphere *ourselves*, in the year 2013, over the course of a mere few centuries (if that, I don't remember the figures, but at most, we're still talking centuries). Of course, where we would use automization, the Imperium would simply throw people at it until it's complete, but in either case, the end result would be a Dyson Sphere.

Kinda makes me imagine if there's any Dark Mechanicus projects out there for a Dyson Sphere. I am imagining a scenario that would be a mix between Halo - except encompassing a full sphere around a sun, rather than just a ring - and the movie Event Horizon.

In the depth of space, dark in the void, black, unmoving, uncaring, it sits. Silently. And when you enter, it is not a sun that powers this superstructure, it is not a star that gives it warming glare to the world - mountains, valleys, rivers, factoriums, facilities - but a supermassive Gravity Drive. The entirety of the population inside driven mad for centuries, degenerate.

Uh.. sorry for getting sidetracked there.

But yeah; Asteroid Colonies, Hivelike Voidstations, Hollowed-Out Astroids/Meteroids - definitely possible. If you can build near-self-sufficient voidstations in the middle of nowhere with populations in the millions, you can certainly build agricultural and mining colonies in an asteroid field.

Dyson spheres are way beyong the empire. The principle of a Dyson sphere is a "ultra" conductors and ultra computer (the second being agaisnt mechanicus laws) enclosed aroudn a sun (the power source.

They represent type 2 or 3 kardahev scale, necrons would be a type 2 edging towards type 3, type 3 being galaxy ranging power harnesting, yes a dyson sphere using galaxy as fuel. Empeirum at it's peak as been edging towards a type 2. 

This is based on kardahev's civilisation scale based on power comsumptions and such.

Oneil Habitat , ring habitat, asteroids, are all within range of the emperium and they probably have/had STC.

IMO

p.s. the most important poart is usually the grav plates which the empire is hard press to produce since the STC is rare and forge world are hard pressed to fill ship production as it is.

Edit: mixed kardahev and Dyson for the civilisation scale.

#12 Asajev

Asajev

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

nice to see you pop up crisaron been a while.

#13 Trader Austin

Trader Austin

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

into the storm p. 240 the bounty ring. they are low g farms around port wander. only about half of port wander is 1 station. the rest are a series of mined out astroids that are farms, hab blocks, dry docks and assorted other things. so not only can the imperium do it, it has. probably several times over.

#14 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Trolls be trolls! They lurk and wait once in a while try to scare a fellow away!

;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS