Help building a small Imperial squad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PRINCEOFDANKNESS

PRINCEOFDANKNESS

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I have lurked this forum for a little while now.

I'm trying to build a 100 point Imperial squad to play with at my local league. The problem is, I only have the core set and two TIE Advanced. (I will also have a Slave 1 I pre ordered so I'll have that when it's released.)  I realize that the Imperial strength is in numbers, ie swarming the opponent, but I don't have a huge amount of funds to buy new ships with. 

My question is, is it plausible to run a good Imperial squad with only 4 or 5 ships? Or do I just need to save up and buy more? The only way to max out the points with 4 ships is to use mainly the unique pilots and use a lot of upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

If it's a local league, I'd say your best option until you can afford a few more ships would be to borrow from frenemy Rebel player(s).  

Perhaps exchange loans if anyone else is in the same boat.

#3 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's not really possible to run a competitive squad with the 2 TIEs from the starter box and 2 TIE advanced. A 4-ship rebel squad would eat your lunch, and a true 7 or 8 TIE swarm would as well.

It's hard to get up to 100 points even. You have to pretty much use all your best unique pilots and a couple missiles, and then you have a couple points for upgrades like Squad Leader or Determination.

Be seeing you.

#4 PRINCEOFDANKNESS

PRINCEOFDANKNESS

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

About the borrowing, yes that will probably be my best option. I had to resort to that at the Kessel Run, borrowing 2 TIEs (this was before I had my second Advanced) and had a squad of 89 while everyone else was pulling straight 100s. I still managed to pull a partial win out of it.

Once the Rebel players all have Falcons I forsee it being even more of a challenge, haha.

#5 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

take a look at some of the incoming wave 2 stuff, these ships are going to make Imperial squads viable with smaller numbers. Your 2 Ties, 2 Advanced, a Firespray and maybe a new Interceptor should form a viable 100 pt squad.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS